Subcu Administration

PamelaAnn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
Our vet hospital taught me today how to give Princess her subcu fluids. Videos I have seen say it takes 5 minutes. The tech twisted the bag to get fluids to flow faster. Was this OK? Princess is acting normal except that she hasn’t eaten since before the session. I rubbed the appetite stimulant in her ear 3 hours ago but she still hasn’t eaten. Looking forward to your reply. Thank you.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is her health issue that she is needing fluids? If it's kidney disease, the appetite stimuland may not really do the trick. I've had three kidney cats, and their appetites were simply on again, off again, even with appetite stimulants. If she is getting the fluids for something else, depending on what it is, she may not miraculously want to start eating again. , But definiately the sueezing of the fluid bag would not cause issues here. We did that often.

If you can give us more information here, we might be able to help with whatever ails Princess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PamelaAnn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So kind of you. She has several issues: blocked ureter right kidney (stone), pancreatitis, e.coli. Today she ate both hard and soft foods (big surprise!), and “asked” to drink from faucet as was her habit! Also drank from bowl. She urinated 5 times. Today I was going to write again and ask if I should go ahead with the 150 ml subcu tomorrow? Her vet will be available for a call on Monday. Thanks again.

PamelaAnn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
BTW, she is taking Prazosin to relax the ureter (we can’t afford surgery) and Veraflox antibiotic for total 4 weeks. She’s had a fever fluctuating between 102.2 and 103.6.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would definitely give her the prescribed sub-q fluids. With those health issues, the more fluids the better. Her drinking and eating are great signs, but the sub-q fluids are still warranted. And it's to be expected that there will be lots of pee clumps in the litter box. Those meds must be making her feel better. So good to hear!

PamelaAnn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Mrs. Greenjeans!