Sub-q Fluids

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who does sub-q fluids (kidney disease) has ever noticed that it takes longer for the fluid to absorb if it goes in the front leg. Been doing fluids for quite some time and last night about 2/3rds of the fluid went down his front right leg and its the first time that's ever happened. The thing is, this morning, his leg still has fluid, but what was around his "flank area" has been absorbed. I'm not concerned about the fluid going into his leg, I know that it can happen, but the fact that it's taking longer to absorb, I wanted to know if I should be concerned or if it's normal because there is "less room" for dispersion and absorption. Oh, and he's not in any pain and can still walk, he also allows me to palpate and massage it (trying to get the fluid to move), so don't think it bother's him much. Thanks for any advice.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would contact the vets office about this.

I always thought, that another dose of sub-q's should not be done, until the last dose was completely absorbed.

I, also, did daily sub-q's for 1.5 years.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always saw sub-ques given in the shoulder area, you might try that. Definitely call the vet and ask questions.
When absorption is slow, sometimes gravity can cause the fluids to go down into the front or back legs (depending on if you give fluids at the location around the shoulder area or around the hip area).

I had this happen at times when giving my last cat her subQ fluids.
(RIP :rbheart:, I lost her 4 years ago yesterday :hearthrob:.)

I think I agree with artiemom that waiting till the fluids get absorbed might work out best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to clarify that I do put the fluids either around his shoulders or hips. Last night the fluid pooled to his armpit/flank and that did absorb, it's just the fluid in his leg that's leftover, and not all of it either, it's definitely not as big as it was last night after his dose. He's due for a work up soon to check his values, so I'll just make it this week instead of next month. I'll keep watch as the day passes and make sure he's peeing as per usual. The other reason for the slower absorption could be that we had to increase his fluids by 25mls (from 100) for 4 days in a row as he was showing signs of dehydration and started seizing. He may be slightly over hydrated now. He's back (as of last night) to his regular dose, but we may skip his fluids tonight if it's still swollen, or at least cut it half if he does absorb it by tonight, we don't want the seizures to start up again. Thanks for the replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I understood that you were giving sub-q's in the shoulder area, and that the fluid was just hanging around the leg. The sometimes happens.

Yes, I think he is fully hydrated now. That is why the fluid is so slow to be absorbed.

Good idea to skip a dose, until this last dose is absorbed. And I would still call the Vet to double check with them.