Struvite Crystals And Wet Diets

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Outdoor cats would only make sense if they lived in a house. I had to fight really hard to finally get a cat in my apartment as a ESA. Because the landlord wanted all cats to be declawed and I wasn't having it. She made me purchase renters insurance with pet damages added on there. He's a cat not a new puppy.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
also, I think most of my adoption places, the cat already came with a chip. Unless they're really young. I didn't have to worry about that, I just had to renew it to me and my info.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
microchipping is $20-50 depending on how savvy you are with your knowledge of options in your area, or if you are in need for sooner rather than later.
I paid fifty for Stew's because we were at the office and confirming that I had never got him chipped, which I thought I had. The low cost clinic and mobile clinic options and even Vetco may be as low as twenty, if you can wait.
I know with vaccines and probably microchipping there is risk of injection site sarcomas... but Tommy has left the house four or five times in his life, leaving me in tears wondering where my cat is THIS time. Thing is about his chip - it has moved. He was 21 lbs an had his chip since he was a kid, and then he lost all the weight and the chip is now down near his armpit (subcutaneous fluids may have assisted this issue). The vet thought I was mistaken when I said keep scanning him, so they could get his id for their chart.
So what good is it going to do me now if someone scans him and isn't ridiculously persistent with the wand?

My girls are combo fed on wet and dry, with a smaller number of carbs, and we have water fountains in the house.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
low income clinics saw it as low as $10
Petco/petsmart ~15-20
vet- 25-50
but i had no idea chips could move. weird. but makes sense

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Catalina V.: I hope you and your furry family have a great Caturday!

Oh, Chewy. You never fail me with your lame cat puns lol

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never qualified as low income because I have no legal dependents. That's great that they've made that an available option.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't do that with my cats. Tommy needed his teeth cleaned and he gets car sick. Amalie needs special attention with her dentals because of her oral disease as well. I ended up getting basic cleaning with Tommy and Yue for about $155 a piece plus clavomax because their gums were bleeding a bunch during the procedure, which I get it, because they were both 8 for their first cleanings. I did groupons, coupons, and rewards points back from a $199 deal that was about 15-20 minutes from my house, limit 1 plus 1 gift, basic blood work included.

Ama - heh... She had a Senior Wellness and full blood panel a few weeks before her appointment for $350 and then she also gets xrays of her mouth for the cleaning, plus the extractions, etc. I think her dental this year was right at $1000:
cleaning, xrays, anesthesia, nerve blocks, extractions, pain medication, convenia injection

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
who is your wellness plan? i saw banfield have one but the reviews seem to suck a lot. but i might have to because of his teeth problems and... yeah I can't afford $1k and up.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No wellness plan. No insurance.
Every other year it's about $800-1500 for Amalie's mouth. I was only going to foster her as a stray, but then I saw the condition of her teeth and gums and figured I can't really trust anyone else to take care of her, so she's been living with me since about 2012. And she's falling apart because some motherjoker had her front declawed so we have back problems I recently started her on CBD for since the weather turned.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
poor baby. the reason i brought up their wellness plan is because they cover dental, but I'm unsure after reading mostly bad reviews. Sounds better if I just went to VA every other year or something.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not a value if they're upsetting people. I've only used them for a free first visit on different strays I've taken in to see if there were anything dire I needed to address before the deworming, vaccinations, and sterilizations.
NOVA Cat Clinic just asked on their survey this quarter if anyone would be interested in a wellness program, so maybe they will come up with one in the next two years. They aren't as cheap as the last vet hospital I used, but everything was cheaper in Phoenix, so it is what it is. NOVA Cat doesn't declaw, is accredited cats only, and has really high reviews. The technicians were able to safely double burrito Stewart when he was screaming and thrashing, and still able to successfully perform his blood draw from his leg. Aces.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet suggested just Fancy Feast Classics. She said she has seen cats who had stones do very well on it. Right now, Austin is on SO canned (and some dry, but he seems to prefer the wet so I'm weaning him off dry) at least until we see the vet for his check up on Monday.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet suggested just Fancy Feast Classics. She said she has seen cats who had stones do very well on it. Right now, Austin is on SO canned (and some dry, but he seems to prefer the wet so I'm weaning him off dry) at least until we see the vet for his check up on Monday.
if only FF had 5.5oz cans....

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
even with a kitty can cover + fridged?
i guess im lucky because roman will eat dried up wet (ew lol)

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh I don't even microwave. I have a mini fridge which I bought for water bottles, sports drinks but now it's being taken over by cat food and medications. Maybe Austin, like me, hates microwaved food. I put my hot pockets in the oven. Okay. The oven.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I unfriended her after she said "microchipping is too expensive".
Some vets offer free microchipping. I got one of my cats microchipped for free because the vet hospital was having a "free microchip if you bring your cat in for an exam" month. I found that out when I brought my cats in for their yearly check up.

Pet stores may offer microchip clinics.

February is Pet Dental Health month and some vets offer discounts.

Back to the original question, it's fine to include non-urinary canned food into the diet. Urinary food may not even be needed at all. Catinfo.org goes into details.

Last edited: