Struvite Crystals And Wet Diets

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Right now he's on Purina ProPlan UTI wet and Purina one UTI dry mixed morning and night. I still have cans of wet food my neighbor gives me (they're all grain-free wet from Chewy). Can I still give my cat wet food even though it does not speficially say UTI on the food label? I want to get him off dry food entirely but uh yeah is it ok if I feed him wet and not have it be UTI specific?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't see why not, since you can switch off and on between them. Also, after those cans are gone if you want to have different UTI wet food options, you can try Hill's C/D and Royal Canin SO. I feed these to Feeby. She had bladder stone surgery 8 years ago, and has been on these foods since (both wet and dry).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah the reason why i am on purina proplan is because it is the most budget friendly option (i live on disability) so it's just hard to change to vet recc uti Rx food. i saw some great deals on chewy for wet food (tiny tiger) , but it's not uti-specific so i'm like torn.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
im going to order it anyway because it's buy 1 get 1 free (also it's grain-free) i just wanted to be sure

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's great about an all wet food diet - unless you have a cat with a long history of free grazing. Since, Feeby is still stone free after being on both wet and dry UTI food for 8 years, I am OK with some dry in her diet.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my adoption place never vocally discussed his health issues with me . i had to go find his old vet papers and low and behold --

"drinks a lot of water, needs urine checked " - was not told

"gums very red - adopter should be told" - was not told

"should be fed hypoallergenic diet" - no idea what this means. if it means grain-free, he already is.

these werent even told to me when i went to the vet a week AFTER adoption >:O

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
yeah the reason why i am on purina proplan is because it is the most budget friendly option (i live on disability) so it's just hard to change to vet recc uti Rx food. i saw some great deals on chewy for wet food (tiny tiger) , but it's not uti-specific so i'm like torn.
Well, in that case you'd probably be better off to eventually, gradually remove all dry since some of the food won't support UTI issues.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tom blocked and had a pH of 8 with crystals, but we just moved him to wet food and eventually raw and he didn't block again until 2 1/2 months later, which appeared to be an issue w cystitis and his pH was down to a 7. Ideal is 6.5, so we were very close.

I will say the Tiny Tiger may need water added to it. Yue is eating it right now and it's one of the dryer pates I've seen. Go ahead and pick it up. While you're there, compare the Dave's Restricted wet to the ProPlan you're using and see if it's any more budget friendly by volume.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
why do they make UTI dry food? I have a bag, but i didn't open it. I might return it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
why do they make UTI dry food? I have a bag, but i didn't open it. I might return it.
I haven't compared ingredients for 8 years, but there are differences between UTI and non-UTI dry foods. If you can eventually move to all wet, by all means, go for it. I just know wet only won't work for Feeby!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
The better question is, why do they even make dry food at all?
Profit. :)

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can only come here and complain about dry food. If I talk badly about dry food on Facebook, I get into massive arguments how "they've been feeding meow mix for years and their cat hasn't had any problems!!!! " if you think that's bad they went as far to say, "why are you feeding wet food? your cat is gonna have digesting issues" LOLLLLL. I need better cat friends ASAP.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lol!!!! Hey, everybody's gotta go with what they think is right - but NOT criticize others for having a different opinion! Right or wrong, Feeby will always have some dry in her diet. She is 14+ and has always been able to have dry food out to nibble on. Not going to change that at this point in her life!

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I can only come here and complain about dry food. If I talk badly about dry food on Facebook, I get into massive arguments how "they've been feeding meow mix for years and their cat hasn't had any problems!!!! " if you think that's bad they went as far to say, "why are you feeding wet food? your cat is gonna have digesting issues" LOLLLLL. I need better cat friends ASAP.
The problem is that many people take the discussion of feline nutrition personally. They are personally offended at the thought of dry food being unhealthy because they have been feeding it for a long time which makes it difficult to have an informed conversation with them. It happens a lot on these forums too.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
true, but feeby's not on an all-dry diet which is the most important part. i just find it ironic companies make uti dry food when vets are all "water water water". also the same friend that feeds meow mix, also doesn't have a water fountain. We may have different opinions but I unfriended her after she said "microchipping is too expensive". I like this site everyone gives me actual good advice.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While not many, you will occasionally come across a comment or two here as well, not just about microchipping, or nutrition, but outdoor only cats, etc!!

I even saw a comment recently that cats are not pets like dogs because they don't serve any real purpose.. What????

Last edited:

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
true, but feeby's not on an all-dry diet which is the most important part. i just find it ironic companies make uti dry food when vets are all "water water water". also the same friend that feeds meow mix, also doesn't have a water fountain. We may have different opinions but I unfriended her after she said "microchipping is too expensive". I like this site everyone gives me actual good advice.
I decided not to microchip my cats based on advice from a vet I trust. She pointed me to resources showing that some of the risks from microchipping aren't always outweighed by the benefits based on where you live/your living situation. She had some great points about how microchipping is so socially accepted these days that we often overlook the medical risks that could come with it and also exaggerate the statistics associated with whether it actually works. At the end of the day the best decision for me was not to microchip but if I had an outdoor cat or a cat that was a door dasher then I may have made a different decision.