Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is hard. I get a sense if it is discomfort it is not systemic or persistent. It may have been one time or a few times but spread out over time. I think if he was in discomfort you would see it in his movements, attitude, temperament, etc. Keep an eye on him for any changes and him not going outside of the box is a very good sign. Fingers crossed it was just a one time thing.

Hang in there. Remember as human stress goes up cats pick up on that and become more stressed. Ash I don't think it that worrisome. It is something we need to watch but I don't get a sense he is suffering or anything. He would show you that. With Ember, I would think you would see it as well. But maybe she overgrooms in private? She seems to be acting normal and doing everything normal so though it may be worrying and concerning it doesn't seem to be affecting her to this point. Of course, we want to make sure she is better but the symptoms don't seem too severe at this point. If it is overgrooming from stress then I am confident in time you will help her get through it. I know it feels like everything happens at once but try to manage the stress and worry so it doesn't feed into the cats. It is easier said than done but just take things one thing at a time and try not to get too far ahead of it. It seems like they are still happy and loving their lives.

That is ADORABLE!!! Mischievous kitty. That is one confident kitty. It is good Stella knows cats and takes it in stride.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really, the only sign of anything wrong is that Ash is maybe a little too loving. I've gotten the sense that he's almost following me at times. But then there are still times that I don't see him for a couple of hours. He's eating fine, no signs of a UTI despite the fountain not working, has good activity levels even though he does sometimes refuse to play with me, still has zoomies as per usual, and is seeking attention. We did order a new fountain and got some cat attract stuff for the litter box. Not the litter, but something you mix in.

I know. I'm easily stressed, but I do find I move on pretty easily and as long as I'm not directly thinking about it, it doesn't bother me that much. It's just a bit overwhelming at times and it's like I don't know who to be more worried about or how to manage all these different issues at the same time. Ember is weird because she is so normal. She acts like absolutely nothing is wrong. There's not really a whole lot of privacy either. I won't say she's always right next to me, but it isn't often that she isn't in sight or at least just around a corner. It still seems unlikely she's doing this to herself. I ordered a Lickimat that's supposed to be calming to try to help her and am trying to come up with some DIY things to put food in. The problem is they get pretty much all wet and there aren't many things that can take wet food. I'm collecting a few toilet paper rolls and am going to switch back and forth between those and their mice dispensers for their dry snack in the afternoon. That way it won't be the same thing every day.

He is a confident little kitten. Still nervous, but getting over it. Stella is a little too intrusive. It's kind of odd because she was and still sometimes is nervous of them like she realizes these are cats and remembers my cats beating her up, but then she starts acting like she doesn't remember her cat manners or doesn't think of them as cats. She wants to get in their faces and sniff them and that scares them a bit.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't sound like he is doing too badly then. I know what you mean about being maybe "too loving" but that can just be a sign on some insecurity and of course nothing at all. Mine go through that at times but usually it is insecurity driven (from what I can tell). I don't think I would worry, stay observant but I wouldn't worry. That is good trying the cat attract, let's see if it works.

It is understandable but it is really good you can move on. I know, it always seems like everything happens at once. Same here. I too would think you would see Ember doing it. The vet doesn't know the situation like you but I can see that vet would think that. I would just keep observing here for changes and doing your best on confidence building etc. I am really wondering if it is a cleaning product or detergent or something being sprayed outside or something. Or it could be an ingredient in the food she is allergic to or maybe even the protein. I know some cats tolerate chicken but after prolonged eating of it it can cause a response. I try to change the protein around every few months or on wet alternate proteins. Or it could be an immune response thing but I would wait for the vet to suspect something like that. I know it is stressful and frustrating but at least she is happy and normal now. It is just a process of elimination and it will take some time. Hopefully a solution is found sooner rather than later.

Very confident it seems. Stella seems to be doing well. It must be very funny to watch them. I love dogs and cats together.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is hard because he goes through phases of things so much. He's definitely been very loving and snuggly when he's loving and snuggly. But then there's so many times where he's no where to be seen again, so it isn't constant. He was pretty cute today. He was using my arm as a pillow with his arm around it and then curled up between my arm and my side.

I certainly will. I don't know what cleaning product it would be. We try to minimize the chemicals we use, so we do use natural products. We use a mix of water, vinegar, and lemon grass oil to clean floors and cabinets, but very little lemon grass oil and it doesn't happen very often. Not often enough to continuously lose fur like this. Our detergent changes pretty often, so it's hard to pinpoint if that could be the cause or which would cause it. We have been trying to use natural, plant-based ones, but just got a different one yesterday so we'll see if that affects anything. And I don't know what would be sprayed outside since it started in the winter. Not like there's a huge concern of bugs or weeds then. The building on one side of us is empty and on our other side the lady has a garden, so I don't think she'd do anything to kill them. As far as changing the protein in her food goes, the American Journey pack we get comes with chicken and turkey. I switch every few days. Fancy Feast usually comes with chicken, turkey, and beef I think. She doesn't hardly get any dry at this point. I'm not sure if that counts as prolonged or not. I will have to pay attention now that we have a different detergent since it's possible all the plant-based ones had a common ingredient in it. I don't really think we've been using them consistently that long, but it's possible.

Haha. The kittens have finally stopped hissing at Stella. Even the little tuxedo. The tabby follows Stella around and slaps at her, but she's usually just out of reach. He's still a little nervous when she comes at him, but getting better and feels better when he's at her height or higher. He even slapped at her in the face while she sniffed him and neither backed away. I think they'll be friends eventually. It's really funny watching that little tabby want to play with her.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they do go through those phases. Mine sure do with some worse than others. That should REALLY ADORABLE!! My girl cuddled with me early this morning using my arm as a pillow. It is really sweet though I need my beauty sleep!!! Hahahaha

It is so hard, I know. Just try to think of what change might have happened and of course it can happen with a lag in time so the longer the exposure then there is a change after a while of use. It sounds like you do switch the protein around. And it is hard to not have a certain protein. I know chicken can cause issues in cats but avoiding it is very difficult. It could be a plant in that person's garden. It is just so hard to know. I always wonder about detergents because they lay on things. Make sure it is really rinsed well. And just keep trying things and observing. It is just so hard to know but it sounds like you are putting in the effort.

That is really great. They are becoming friends. That is actually really good in helping them build confidence. That is so adorable. Funny how they play. And given they are kittens and don't have their mom they are learning some social skills from Stella which is great. They may end up very "dog like". One of my cats is very dog like. He is a true character.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was really cute. He can be a bit of a pain at times, but it's hard to be annoyed with him when he does something so sweet. Fortunately no one bothers me too much when I'm sleeping except on occasion when Ember decides she needs attention in the middle of the night.

I will, but my memory is rather faulty and it started quite some time ago. I really have no clue. Our neighbor has had her garden since before we moved in and Ember started losing fur in February when there weren't really any plants alive, so it seems unlikely to be a plant. Really, the time it started makes it harder because it was still pretty much winter at the time. There weren't a whole lot of plants and things alive to be having a reaction to.

Yep, I agree. It's great. Stella could use a friend or two and she could use some help in gaining confidence as well. She used to play with a kitten that lived with her at my aunt's, but she became a bit fearful of cats after we brought her in and my cats slapped her around a lot.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SO TRUE!!! They are very good at being cute especially when they on bordering annoying. :) You are very lucky. I have one that is especially bad at "needing" warmth/attention/love. Like every night..............

Was it Feb or earlier? Does she spend time in certain places where the others don't? A closet, against a wall, under something. Anything like that?

It really is. Stella seems to do well with your cats now though. It is very cool she is making new friends (and for the kittens as well).

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Indeed. He seems to be cuddly earlier in the day and then goes back to mostly distant later on. Ember is the only one that ever intentionally bugs me at night and she doesn't usually do it. When she does she'll typically settle down, but then groom/nurse on her stomach which is obnoxiously loud.

I made my post Feb 4 which was the day I noticed it, I'm pretty sure. I was at my dad's the weekend prior to that, but hadn't noticed any fur loss before I left. Um, I don't think so. She gets in my closet and the laundry room the most, but those doors are kept shut, so she's only in there when I'm doing something in there. She'll lay just about anywhere. On the couch, on my bed, on me, my lap top, or just the floor. She isn't as weird about laying on things like books, phones, etc. like the boys are. She does like being under blankets. She's pretty much always in the loaf position or curled in a ball. She doesn't lay on her side or back like the boys do.

Stella is doing much better with the cats now. She's gaining her confidence back. No fear of Frost though she never was afraid of him. Her fear of Ember is actually pretty much gone. They get along pretty well. Ember will still spit and slap at her on occasion, but Stella stands up for herself now. Ash is the only one that still makes her a bit nervous, but they're getting better with each other. They don't play together because their play styles don't match, so I do feel bad that I'm all she's got for that.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one that is especially cuddly when she is hungrier or wants something "special" like chicken. You are lucky. Mine get a little too much. Yes, they can be loud and also very "interactive". :/

Does she lay on wool blankets or anything like that? Anything that could cause some irritation? I wonder if she is just laying so much that she either "wears it out" or maybe the heat causes some loss? There is some reasons, hopefully we can eliminate things and figure it out. Any changes that you can remember from about Dec 1?

Yes, it seems like it. That is really good. Ember probably wants to play. It is ok if you are the only one she can play with. It sounds like she is doing really well with them. That is great!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Ash has gotten in bed with me the last couple of nights. The first night he didn't stay long. Last night I fell asleep with him, Stella, and Ember in bed with me. I woke up around 4:30a.m. with all three still there. I think Ember and Ash left around 5 or so. It was a bit crowded. I'm surprised I didn't hit Ash or kick Ember.

Um, no. I'm not even sure that we have anything wool she could be laying on. We have tons of blankets because I collect soft, furry things, but don't think any are wool. I can't think of anything that's changed, but my memory really isn't great. I don't think we've done anything that would be constant. I think she's lost more fur where she had already lost most of it too. She had some fuzz on her stomach where she initially lost fur, but now it's basically just a little bit of stubble. I even found a blue mark on her stomach that the vet apparently did when she was spayed.

Sometimes Ember wants to play. Usually if she spits, it's because the dog went too fast too close to her. But we have a game where I throw a toy for Stella into the kitchen and, when she brings it back, Ember runs out and smacks at her. Then Ember goes back to her hiding spot and waits for the next time. Ember and I think this is lots of fun. Stella disagrees.

I got the Lickimat yesterday. I'm thinking about splitting the cats' dinnertime into two meals. That way they can eat right before bed, basically as late as I can get it. That also gives me three wet meals, so I was thinking about rotating which cat gets the Lickimat. So Ember can have it for one meal, then Ash, then Frost

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is wonderful that they were all together. Especially Ember and Ash. That is a great sign of their relationship. It can be crowded and hot!!

Hmmmmm, it must be something. Just keep thinking. When did you switch to American Journey? Can you check the ingredients against what you were feeding before? And see if there is anything different? Has the house been damper or is there any mold around? There sure isn't any obvious cause. :/

Hahahaha, that is so cat and dog. Too funny!!!

That is great. That is a very good idea. Let me know how they like it.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was actually right after a fight they had too. I don't know what happened, just heard noise. They got over it pretty quickly, but had a bit of a slapping match when Ash was in my bed and Ember came over. He ended up leaving, but came back. Then she came and she was nervous at first, but settled down on the opposite side of my legs. I freeze at night, so being hot wasn't an issue in the slightest, but it was a bit crowded.

We switched to American Journey a year or so ago, I think. We looked into it, but I don't remember exactly now. I'll have to check ingredients. I don't know about being damp. With her fur loss starting in winter, it would have been pretty dry then. I'm sure it's damper now than it was then. I haven't seen any mold.

I love it. I just wish Stella did. I'm always torn between laughing at the cat and feeling bad for the dog.

Ember had it this morning. She seemed confused about why her food wasn't in a bowl, but took to it well enough. Didn't quite get everything out of it, but got most of it. The main problem is that it takes so much longer, so I have to figure out how to keep the others from getting to it.

We also got our new water fountain. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anyone except Stella use it. The flow might be too strong though and, honestly, I never did see the cats drink much. I don't know when they would get a drink without me knowing.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is really impressive. Amazing they can trust so much after a fight. That is a very good sign. Those moments build trust and confidence between them. So great. I tend to freeze as well but when I get a few cats they get really warm and of course one can't move either. :/

Doesn't seem like the food. Could be the protein source (just chicken in general). I would ask the vet if it could be at all protein related. There is definitely nothing obvious. :(

I know exactly what you mean. :/ Dogs do take things that pretty well though.

Yes, cats don;t like change but it sounds like she did well. Yes, it will slow them down which is actually good (except that others may get involved).

That is great. I am surprised they haven't taken to it yet. Cats LOVE running water. I am sure they will. Can you turn the pressure down a touch?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was impressive. I was a little bit worried about what would happened with them on either side of me. She stayed a little tense for a while, but did relax eventually. The cats aren't enough to warm me up. Only Stella can manage that and even she fails at times. She wasn't wanting to be anywhere near Ash though, so she kept her distance.

I'll have to try to remember. It does seem like everything is chicken flavored, so I'm sure they get a lot of it, but they get other stuff as well.

Stella handles it alright, but mostly because she's used to being slapped around by them and is really a coward. They're more likely to hurt her than she is to hurt them which is saying something because they aren't very likely to hurt her.

I do have to figure something out with them and that mat. It takes way too long for them to eat so then the other two are trying to get in on it. Ember I can pretty easily just shut in my room. I had to put Ash in the storage room because Ember wouldn't stay out of it. He gave up on it too quickly though. I had to stand there and scrape the food out with a spoon and try to make it easier. He gave up on that too. So then I scraped out what I could and put in his bowl. The bad thing is they do lose food that they aren't able to get out. I'm not sure if that's something they'll get better at or just how it'll always be.

I did turn the water pressure down today. I think they're somewhat used to having running water, so it's not like it's particularly new or interesting. I believe the running water helps, but it's not like they're constantly drinking from it. I really don't see any of them drinking much, but they have to be doing it at some point.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very impressive. That is a good trust building experience. Too bad Stella stayed away from him. :/ Dogs are very good at keeping humans warm.

Yes, chicken is very common and a great source of protein. It is very hard to stay away from it. If you can it would be interesting to see if there would be any change. Ask the vet first if that could be the issue though.

Yes, they can be very docile. I would't think they would hurt her on purpose though it could accidentally happen.

Yes, and maybe with Ash it isn't the best. Just see what is best. I would think they would eventually get all the food but that is a downside sadly. They can get a bit lazy but eventually they will be hungry enough to eat it all.

I don't think cats do a lot of drinking. Maybe in one sitting but not often, multiple times a day. But some cats are different. I have one that drinks more than the others but I know they all drink. Some drink after eating, some at other times. And some just a little at a time and some more at once. Fountains are good though because they are interesting. It is common not to always see them though. But I am sure they are drinking enough. I worry about mine drinking enough as well (especially one of them).

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ash and Stella are getting better with each other. He approaches her and she isn't quite as freaked out. Sometimes she's fine with it. They've laid next to each other before. She's just not ready to be the one to approach him and I don't blame her for that.

It's definitely something to consider. I'll have to keep it in mind.

No, at this point I have very little fear of them hurting Stella, intentionally or otherwise. Maybe if she pressed them enough, but she's still not comfortable enough with Ember or Ash to do that and Frost, for as crabby as he can be, is a big softy.

I don't really know what to do. I can't leave it out for them to finish whenever they like. I have to figure out how to keep the other two out. Ember is easy enough, but the boys are tricky. Frost I could potentially put in my mom's room, but the closest room to Ash is the storage room. There's two litter boxes out there and it's pretty much always covered in litter, so I don't like that option. I fed him on the cat tree out there, but it's not really big enough for him and the mat. Kennel, maybe? But I'm afraid I'd forget to let him out.

Frost I swear waits until he's just about dehydrated and then drinks for five minutes. He really likes to get a drink when I'm in bed trying to sleep so then I get to lay there and listen to him drink. I can always tell it's him because he's so dang loud. I see him drink the most. I see Ember drink on occasion. I almost never see Ash drink. I've no idea when he does it.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is really great. Ash wouldn't hurt her but it is good Stella is trusting him more.

Just to try to eliminate something. It is so hard.

I just read this paragraph. That was my impression but good to hear it is your observation. It is good they are good cats.

I know, it is hard. I know you will figure it out. Just do your best. I am not really sure either. But I would be careful about taking territory away or closing them off. Maybe distract them with love?

Hahahaha, cats. One of my girls is like Ash. Rarely do I see her drink but she must be drinking but I always fear it isn't enough. I do wish Ash would drink more but we can't force him. :/

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I don't think any of them want to hurt each other. They may if they feel they have to, but I think that would take a lot. None of them act like they even know they can hurt someone.

I don't think anything can distract them from food. It just doesn't work. Only food could distract them from food, but then if the one eating thought I was giving out something better they'd probably come over to get some. Really, none of them seem bothered about being locked up. I do it for their snack in the afternoon because otherwise I wouldn't be able to keep track of who's eating what. Ash may cry once or twice, but he typically settles down and I have to force him to leave.

Yes, I would like to see Ash drink more. I never know if he's getting enough or not until he ends up with a UTI.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is really, really great. That makes things so much easier and better. They are very good cats.

Hahahaha, yep. Food can be the end all be all. Which is mostly good but like you mention can complicate things as well at times. That is great they are so confident they know it is not something to worry about.

:( Yep. It is so hard........................... But you are doing all you can and giving wet food which is very good.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are good cats. Sometimes it seems like Ash is trying to get on my nerves, but they are good cats.

Indeed. Especially with Ember. She's a little bit food obsessed. She's even eaten lettuce. And she dragged my shorts from the bathroom into my room because they had treats in the pocket today. It was really funny watching her drag them off. I've been making the Lickimat a bit easier for them and not pushing the food into it so much, so it doesn't take them as long and they're getting more food out.

He does get wet food and I do put water in it, so I'm guessing that's the majority of the water he drinks right there but I do hope he's drinking at least a little on his own.