Struggling with guilt after euthanizing my boy

feederofcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the long post. Hopefully someone has the time to read it.

My soulmate cat was diagnosed with oral cancer in late November. So devastating. The vet gave him a prognosis of 2-3 months, which ended up coming true. The tumor was unfortunately in his throat. Inoperable and this type of cancer (SCC) is pretty unresponsive to any treatments. I opted (well, not much of a choice) for palliative care. Multiple meds a day and injections at home to keep him comfortable. The tumor actually stayed pretty stable for the first month but in January, it started growing really fast.

He never stopped eating/trying to eat, but he was having more and more trouble every day as the tumor grew. It was pushing his tongue out and to the side so he couldn’t control it very well. It also made his salivary glands overreact so saliva soaked anything he tried to eat. But he still tried, and most of the time was able to eat a decent amount. When I felt he didn’t eat a good enough meal, I gave him squeezie treats (which eventually he would only eat off my finger) to make sure he had a full tummy.

Near the end, there were obviously some signs/moments that led me to the decision to put him to rest. Obviously the increasing difficulty eating, but also I could just tell that he looked uncomfortable/stoic much of the time. Sometimes didn’t want to be pet. And there were a few times when he suddenly awoke out of a deep sleep with a cry, and looked disoriented. I (and his vet) think that this was due to him suddenly realizing he wasn’t getting enough oxygen while sleeping (because of the tumor) and being startled by it. I also know the tumor was starting to effect his breathing in the last week or so because he would snore, which he has never done before.

And of course, I could feel the tumor growing when I felt his throat. It was spreading and had already spread to the other side of his throat. I was so scared of him suddenly being unable to breathe because of how fast it was growing. Or, as his vet said, his airway getting so small that even just a piece of food can block it and cause an awful, terrible end. I also just kept thinking that if I had that tumor in my throat, I would be absolutely miserable. Cats are so good at hiding pain.

I promised him when we got this diagnosis and prognosis that I wouldn’t let him suffer. I wouldn’t let it get too far. Wouldn’t let him ever know the feeling of being hungry but unable to eat because it feels so bad, or he physically can’t. How awful would that be? He didn’t deserve to experience that, especially as an ending note to his almost 14 years.

I repeated the saying “better a month too early than a day too late” in my head many times in the last couple months. I agree with that sentiment. If I know the trajectory of where it’s heading, and I know it’ll just be more and more suffering every day, why do I need to let him feel that? What’s the point?

I made the decision to put him to rest on Thursday (Feb 3rd). I wanted it to be as peaceful as possible so I had a vet come to the house. It was awful, as you know, nothing feels worse than that.

But what I’m struggling the most with is guilt. I just feel so guilty for facilitating his death. The worst part is that he was still eating at the time. He was still eating, or trying to, and mostly able to but with increasing difficulty. He was still drinking water. He was still using the litter box and sometimes purring. He literally was trying to eat food while the vet was here, while the first sedative was kicking in.

All the articles and guides say that it’s time to euthanize when they’re no longer eating or drinking, they’re hiding, or unable to use the litter box on their own. He wasn’t at this stage, but the thing is, he wouldn’t have ever gotten to that stage because of the condition he had. This type of cancer doesn’t affect the organs or other parts of the body - in that way he still felt fine. So yeah, he would never stop having an appetite (especially with the steroids). He would’ve continued trying to eat. He just eventually wouldn’t physically be able to and would be confused and frustrated and hungry. So these guides don’t really apply to me and when I see them, they just make me feel like I did it too soon because he still had an appetite and was normal other than the rapidly growing, vicious, ticking time bomb slowly blocking his airway.

I just didn’t want him to get to the point of being hungry and unable to eat and being hungry… that’s so terrible. Or feeling more and more like breathing was getting harder and harder. That would be so scary for anyone. His vet said that with the rate of growth, it would be maybe a week or so before things got really bad to the point of suffering. I just didn’t want him to have to experience the pain that was coming so soon.

This cancer is the worst because while the tumor could be totally ravaging their mouth/throat, the rest of their body and mind is fine, so they seem fine. So when I put him down, it felt like putting down a cat who wasn’t ready to go. He still had life in him. But that tumor was about to make him suffer and I just couldn’t let that happen. But I feel so, so guilty.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry about your darling boy. He is out of pain now and eating at the Bridge.
Many of our babies are there now. When you're up to it, maybe you can post a pic of him.

Again, I am so sorry.

Love,
Mia💖💞 :hugs: :rbheart:

1644219507463.png

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took care of a cat that someone had dumped because he had mouth cancer and was drooling uncontrollably. I still cry when I think of how he must have felt, abandoned, scared, hurting......I did the best I could for him, and he lived another year in relative comfort before we were forced to make that awful decision. The guilt and all those should haves, could haves, always accompany grief.
Your little one had you by his side. He knew nothing but love and that you were caring for him, that you were there for him and were until the end. That means more than anything to that little boy, and he thanks you for that. He is at peace now because he carries your love within his soul. You did what you did because you could not, would not let him suffer and he knows that. Although he now follows another path, he is whole again, and his journey will always parallel your own. Drawn together by the bonds of love that are spiritual, so eternal. Nothing can take that from you, his love will always have a secure place in your soul.
When we are forced to make that awful decision that causes us so much pain, we do so in knowing the pain that is present at that time will never go away. It will, in fact, get worse, much worse. To not be able to breathe is a horrible way to end such a precious life. He was suffering from something that would not go away, could not be cured. Instead of thinking of the pain, you stopped, think of the pain that was yet to come, and be thankful that somehow you reached deep inside yourself and were able to transfer some of his pain to your own broken heart. Cling to the saying I always keep to the front of my mind "Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened".
Of course, this hurts, you loved that boy so very much. This will never be something you get over, it is something you have to get through. Let your heart grieve, and then go forward into the future and live it as you would have wanted him to live if you were the first to go. seeking life's beauty and the love that comes with it. none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow, and life is way too precious to spend the remainder of yours in pain and tears. He would be the first to agree.
You honor his memory by thinking of him and continuing to love him, ask him to send you his love and the strength to get through the next day and he will. Take one day at a time.......RIP sweet boy. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Please don't beat yourself up because of ifs and buts. They come with grief. It sounds to me that you made the right decision for your boy. You said your boy was still eating or trying to, eating was getting difficult for him. That says to me his quality of life had deteriorated, and you stopped him feeling the pain that was to come. Believe me when I say he would thank you for that. You loved him so much how could you do anything else. Please be kind to yourself you did the right thing. He is free now playing at the bridge. :rbheart:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I lost my Matilde to SCC of the mouth several years ago. Believe me, you did the right thing for your boy. You kept him comfortable and happy for as long as you could, started to see signs of complications arising, and then made the hardest and bravest decision to let him go in peace before he reached the "day too late" place. You arranged palliative care so that his last months would be as comfortable as possible. You did everything that you could have done for him. IMO, this particular cancer in the mouth and throat area has a sudden tipping point where there is discomfort and even suffering and then you are faced with the eleventh hour decision to find someone who can help, which may not be soon enough.

I am sorry for your loss and hope that the memories of the 14 years will return to comfort you.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
F feederofcats , I read your post and I felt your pain and guilt. I felt every word of yours in my heart like they were needles, so painful, so heavy. I couldn't breathe while I was reading your words.
I went through the same bad experience as you did. I walked the same path, I lived the same moments.
Though it's been nearly 5 years ago, it seems like it was yesterday.
Just like you, I called the vet home and everything was done here, the place that she had known for her whole life.

My cat, the one in the avatar, was diagnosed with an oral SCC (under her tongue) in September 2016, she received a radiotherapy treatment in October, then 2 months of chemotherapy. And eventually I just hospiced her at home till March 2017.
It was a really demanding period of time, I lost 10 years of my life trying to help her, she couldn't eat on her own, I had to syringe feed her five times a day. And she couldn't drink either. I had to be on her side 20 hours a day, and I would have done it for the rest of my life, I wanted to keep her with me as long as possible. And I believe I kept her with me for too long.
I spare you the details of her last few weeks. It is something that still haunts me 5 years later.

You did the right thing, you had the courage that I didn't have, you let him go when he still had some dignity and a bit of quality of life. I was too late, maybe.
Please don't feel guilty, you proved to have a huge heart, you put your cat's interest and well-being before your need to keep him with you, you proved to really love him.

Your cat will be forever grateful for not putting him through a terrible moment. He didn't know the real suffering because of you.
Take comfort in this.

Last edited by a moderator:

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your poor cat had an inoperable tumor which would have caused him more and more suffering. The decision you made is the greatest act of kindness that can ever be given to an animal when all hope of recovery is lost. I know how you feel, I have had to make this decision several times myself.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Friend, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

You have done the right thing, at the expense of your own heart, which is broken. I will tell you the deepest Truth I know, that love never dies, it is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. And your boy sends that Love back to you, to walk beside you down through all your days. I also know that, from That Place Where All Things Are Known, he whispers to Those Who Watch, "See? My human loved me enough to help me go! Be kind!" And They, in Their wisdom, stroke his head gently, and nod.

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
aw, you did the right thing by your baby ! that situation was only going to get worse , and you eased his passing . It was going to come to that .. and there is NEVER a good time to face it. Doing the loving thing is the hard thing , and there is NOTHING to feel guilty about. my friends cat had a tumor in his belly. he looked pregnant. had trouble lying down, getting comfortable. every time he ate, he vomited. otherwise he seemed "normal" so she was convinced it wasn't time. It was time. none of that is normal, and he was suffering . Kitties hide pain , and purring is not always a sign they are happy. they can purr for other reasons...like stress... She finally came to realization it was time to ease his passing , and did the kind thing...she had him for 16 years. ( I had a kitty for 17 years who had cancer .. and went through this as well. all she would eat was tuna juice in the end. ) ... My hugs and deepest condolences to you , but I am certain you did the right thing by your baby ! :alright:

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I think one of the greatest acts of love you can ever do for your animal is helping them say goodbye when you know they are suffering. Guilt, no matter how far gone they are, is inevitable. But you did the right thing and you were with him to the end. That's what matters!

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
F feederofcats so sad to hear.

I had to put down my girl Zika a short time ago, and it was painful, it still hurts. She had terminal liver and kidney failure, which, while not acutely painful like end stage tumors (so the doctors tell me) very very bad nevertheless, and no hope of survival.

:bawling2::cloudy:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. But I will say one thing to all that have lost their beloved cats: Has anyone not - for just even one second - had hesitation? Maybe so, but I sincerely doubt it. We can only do what we feel is right and in the best interest of our beloved one. We are humans and can only work in the confines of our abilities. There is never a good time - ever, regardless - there never will be. The one consolation in what we do is to know that any suffering is gone.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is normal to feel guilt, even if it is not warranted.
We have a massive responsibility towards our beloved companions, in terms of their daily care and routine health decisions, even more so when it comes to end of life.

The 5 stages of grief are said to be "denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance " - another needs to be added in for when we have had to make end of life decisions for a loved one, and that is guilt - and it can fit in anywhere in that list of stages.

It is normal to feel this way, even though you have absolutely nothing to feel guilty about.

So sorry for your loss. You will never forget him, and you will always miss him, but the immediate pain you feel right now will eventually lessen.

SadCatOwner32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just didn’t want him to get to the point of being hungry and unable to eat and being hungry… that’s so terrible. Or feeling more and more like breathing was getting harder and harder. That would be so scary for anyone. His vet said that with the rate of growth, it would be maybe a week or so before things got really bad to the point of suffering. I just didn’t want him to have to experience the pain that was coming so soon.This cancer is the worst because while the tumor could be totally ravaging their mouth/throat, the rest of their body and mind is fine, so they seem fine. So when I put him down, it felt like putting down a cat who wasn’t ready to go. He still had life in him. But that tumor was about to make him suffer and I just couldn’t let that happen. But I feel so, so guilty.
30 minutes until the at home vet comes for my cat. Worse for me, I don't have a cancer diagnosis. But the tests I have received "suggest it" and he has been throwing up for 1 year / much worse for 9 months.

My gut is screaming at me that something is wrong, something serious, and do I want to find out that it is serious when I am not home and or, if the weather is not good out? No.

I have tried a zillion things over the last few months and nothing has worked. I don't want to do this but know, I have no choice.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
May God be with you both.....you can't let him suffer. It is an act of love. Please come back, you need support at a time like this. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the long post. Hopefully someone has the time to read it.

My soulmate cat was diagnosed with oral cancer in late November. So devastating. The vet gave him a prognosis of 2-3 months, which ended up coming true. The tumor was unfortunately in his throat. Inoperable and this type of cancer (SCC) is pretty unresponsive to any treatments. I opted (well, not much of a choice) for palliative care. Multiple meds a day and injections at home to keep him comfortable. The tumor actually stayed pretty stable for the first month but in January, it started growing really fast.

He never stopped eating/trying to eat, but he was having more and more trouble every day as the tumor grew. It was pushing his tongue out and to the side so he couldn’t control it very well. It also made his salivary glands overreact so saliva soaked anything he tried to eat. But he still tried, and most of the time was able to eat a decent amount. When I felt he didn’t eat a good enough meal, I gave him squeezie treats (which eventually he would only eat off my finger) to make sure he had a full tummy.

Near the end, there were obviously some signs/moments that led me to the decision to put him to rest. Obviously the increasing difficulty eating, but also I could just tell that he looked uncomfortable/stoic much of the time. Sometimes didn’t want to be pet. And there were a few times when he suddenly awoke out of a deep sleep with a cry, and looked disoriented. I (and his vet) think that this was due to him suddenly realizing he wasn’t getting enough oxygen while sleeping (because of the tumor) and being startled by it. I also know the tumor was starting to effect his breathing in the last week or so because he would snore, which he has never done before.

And of course, I could feel the tumor growing when I felt his throat. It was spreading and had already spread to the other side of his throat. I was so scared of him suddenly being unable to breathe because of how fast it was growing. Or, as his vet said, his airway getting so small that even just a piece of food can block it and cause an awful, terrible end. I also just kept thinking that if I had that tumor in my throat, I would be absolutely miserable. Cats are so good at hiding pain.

I promised him when we got this diagnosis and prognosis that I wouldn’t let him suffer. I wouldn’t let it get too far. Wouldn’t let him ever know the feeling of being hungry but unable to eat because it feels so bad, or he physically can’t. How awful would that be? He didn’t deserve to experience that, especially as an ending note to his almost 14 years.

I repeated the saying “better a month too early than a day too late” in my head many times in the last couple months. I agree with that sentiment. If I know the trajectory of where it’s heading, and I know it’ll just be more and more suffering every day, why do I need to let him feel that? What’s the point?

I made the decision to put him to rest on Thursday (Feb 3rd). I wanted it to be as peaceful as possible so I had a vet come to the house. It was awful, as you know, nothing feels worse than that.

But what I’m struggling the most with is guilt. I just feel so guilty for facilitating his death. The worst part is that he was still eating at the time. He was still eating, or trying to, and mostly able to but with increasing difficulty. He was still drinking water. He was still using the litter box and sometimes purring. He literally was trying to eat food while the vet was here, while the first sedative was kicking in.

All the articles and guides say that it’s time to euthanize when they’re no longer eating or drinking, they’re hiding, or unable to use the litter box on their own. He wasn’t at this stage, but the thing is, he wouldn’t have ever gotten to that stage because of the condition he had. This type of cancer doesn’t affect the organs or other parts of the body - in that way he still felt fine. So yeah, he would never stop having an appetite (especially with the steroids). He would’ve continued trying to eat. He just eventually wouldn’t physically be able to and would be confused and frustrated and hungry. So these guides don’t really apply to me and when I see them, they just make me feel like I did it too soon because he still had an appetite and was normal other than the rapidly growing, vicious, ticking time bomb slowly blocking his airway.

I just didn’t want him to get to the point of being hungry and unable to eat and being hungry… that’s so terrible. Or feeling more and more like breathing was getting harder and harder. That would be so scary for anyone. His vet said that with the rate of growth, it would be maybe a week or so before things got really bad to the point of suffering. I just didn’t want him to have to experience the pain that was coming so soon.

This cancer is the worst because while the tumor could be totally ravaging their mouth/throat, the rest of their body and mind is fine, so they seem fine. So when I put him down, it felt like putting down a cat who wasn’t ready to go. He still had life in him. But that tumor was about to make him suffer and I just couldn’t let that happen. But I feel so, so guilty.
I am so sorry for your loss. Reading your post was so painful yet you provided me with so much information about how terrible this oral cancer was for my poor boy who I just lost. He was also my soulmate cat. I missed all the signs of scc because he had just had a physical and a dental exam.