Stressed Out From Spaying!!!

PrincessLeaismom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Princess Leia was a rescue--ie, I rescued her directly from the wild. She was a stray (semi-feral) living off handouts and one of the people feeding her was trying to find her a home, so I adopted her.

She's been a wonderful cat. After an adjustment period, she turned out to be very loving and affectionate. However, she is still extremely nervous and skittish around other people. Anyway, I decided to get her spayed and now I'm regretting it. It's just been a terrible experience after bringing her home. I had no idea it could be this hard.

First off, the vet's office screwed up my appointment and her spaying got pushed back, which made me more stressed because I have visitors from out of town coming this weekend. I wanted to get this well behind me before they showed up. The spay got pushed back a week. So, she was spayed on Friday. The vet kept her overnight. Said she was doing great.

I take her home and she was disoriented like I expected, but she also was breathing really fast, and twitching. I called the vet. told me to bring her back in. I shlep the poor cat back to the vet. They said her vitals were good. Sent her back home.

Then, she couldn't stand the e-cone they put on her. In fact, she was sleeping next to me on the bed and out of nowhere, FLUNG HERSELF AGAINST THE WALL...I'm pretty sure her equilibrium was off because of the e-cone. I brought her back in tho to make sure she was ok after hitting my closet door.

3 days later. Still twitching. But the incision looked fine. Crying all night because of the cone. I finally took it off of her and she was SHAKING. Literally shaking from wearing it.

I have tried various alternatives to keep her from licking but she won't let me put ANYTHING on her. Not even a little shirt that ties in the back. So I've been a shut in the past week. Not going out. Just trying to keep her from licking at or pulling her stitches cuz she refuses to not be active. She plays, climbs etc. and I have to hiss at her every time she goes near her stitches so now she hates me.

She's afraid of me. I'm stressed out from no sleep. And it's only day 6. THIS SUCKS.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a stressful experience. None of my girls were ever told to wear a cone. The conversation never came up. I brought Yue home and she slept tummy up on my lap for hours. Someone has to become available to help you get a shirt on her if she is insisting to pull at the stitches. Maybe she needs additional pain management? We didn't do cones for spays or neuters. The only animal I'd put in a cone in my life until this spring was a rat that kept over grooming his incision site, years ago. Tommy had to wear a cone this spring because we reassigned his urethra and couldn't have him even messing one bit with a new, delicate area. If it's day 6 she might not be at a huge risk even if she does decide to try to chew the stitches as long as they put a subcutaneous layer of them in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PrincessLeaismom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah..she's overgrooming IN GENERAL. I think it's a stress reaction. She's gonna end up with hot spots if she doesn't stop and then guess what? the vet will wanna put her IN THE CONE AGAIN.

I keep hoping since it's day 6, I don't have to be as vigilant. I mean I only took a shower for the first time in a cpl of days just now!! Her stitches look really good, so I'm hopeful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PrincessLeaismom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And btw the vet's office was useless as far as, me needing help coming up with an alternative to the cone. :(

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
While the stress you and your cat are experiencing now, it pales in comparison to the stress of a cat in heat, unwanted kittens or worse yet, mammary cancer. This too shall pass!

Of the 6 female cats I have had spayed, NONE were ever sent home with a cone and they all healed up just fine. I think the post-spay cone is a new veterinary protocol.

The one cat who I have had experience with a cone needed one due to complex inner ear surgery deep near the brain. I think she was more stressed by the cone than the ear. I ended up removing it earlier than planned, (with Vet's approval) which lessened stress for the cat.

I think many of these stray rescues have strong "fight or flight" instincts. They HATE any sort of confinements or things on them that compromise their ability to fend for themselves--like a cone over the head. This is why she is reacting the way she is. But I do think it is temporary.

I would check with the Vet to see if there are subcutaneous stitches. If so, and since this is day 6 and healing is coming along nicely, I would leave the cone off and monitor. I think with less stress, she will settle down. She will probably welcome a good nap. I would keep her well fed, which will foster naps after eating. I would monitor, but generally leave her alone. She would probably welcome peace and quiet in her own space.

If she was an affectionate, loving cat before, she will return to that personality after her stress has subsided. You both need some rest. Also, if she sees you are less stressed, she will be less stressed. Good for all concerned! That said, you made the right decision in rescuing her and getting her spayed. I wish you many many happy years together!