Stress Induced Cystitis

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone had their cat suffer stress induced Cystitis before?
Blue after his episode of having to be treated for severe constipation and staying overnight at the vet hospital suddenly developed cystitis.
Got treated and returned home so he isn't in a stressful environment and so far everything good except his anxiety and activity level really high.
Using lots of Feliway trying to calm him down.
But haven't seen this before and wondering if its common for highly strung cats to get this.
It has been a sleepless night waiting for him to pee properly and he has, so things maybe OK.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue after his episode of having to be treated for severe constipation and staying overnight at the vet hospital suddenly developed cystitis.
Got treated and returned home so he isn't in a stressful environment and so far everything good except his anxiety and activity level really high.
But haven't seen this before and wondering if its common for highly strung cats to get this.
It has been a sleepless night waiting for him to pee properly and he has, so things maybe OK.
In dogs, it's not uncommon for higher-strung dogs to suffer from GVD (bloat), so I'm assuming it's not uncommon for cats that experience stress easily to have cystitis. One of our girls gets it from dry food, but also from stress. She's very territorial, and we have people in and out of this place on the daily and sometimes it seems to upset her and she'll start peeing in very small clumps and straining.
Has the Feliway helped?
We've never used it yet, but I've heard CBD oil can help this. The problem is finding a good product, as the CBD oil market has exploded and a lot of it on the market is snake oil.
I think it's Furballsmom Furballsmom who has a link to music for cats that works to help them relax a little. Hopefully you'll find something to help this little guy out.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue has come good..just a 24 hour episode, that Cystitis is a nasty thing.
The Feliway seems to work quite well with Blue, took the edge off the anxiety.
Thanks for your all your advice.
Good to hear, and I'm glad the Feliway has worked.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Beautiful baby! My girl also gets stressed by other cats in our yard...Feliway does help! We use treats to keep her distracted when she's getting nervous..not sure if it helps but she's gotten more agitated the older she gets. When I first got her in 2013 she was like the lady of the party-loved other people and cats and dogs...now that we have been solo home for 8 months-she's developed an attitude to other critters in our yard...

Catstina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty William was just diagnosed with anxiety induced cystitis. I’m using Feliway diffusers and spray and trying to enrich is environment, and give him more places to hide. Currently trying fish oil and probiotics and one other supplement for anxiety, too. If these don’t work the vet mentioned medications like Prozac. How’re things now with Blue? Any advice or insights you’ve learned over time? Also, what food do you have him on? The vet mentioned a special diet but hasn’t elaborated yet. Just really want to get him feeling better!

thanks!

4catsncounting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi - I have 2 cats that have idiopathic cystitis (IC) - 1 who just had all the other possibilities of FLUTD eliminated with testing.

Sooo, if you can get a vet to prescribe prednisone (steroid) for the 1st 24-72 hours, that gets the initial intense flare-up calmed down.
Then, I give Sub-Q fluids which serves to dilute the cat's urine and helps resolve the irritation of the bladder lining, as well as recalibrate so to speak their hyper-spasming to release their bladder contents (gives them a more clear "empty, done" feeling).
Finally - I just posted a thread myself on obtaining this, since in the years since I bought it over-the-counter, it's become Rx only here in the states - Glycosaminoglycan, in the form of polysulfated glycosaminoglycan as an injectable "surgical lavage",
added to your Sub-Q line as a IV push, or given straight,
is a GODSEND, in my experience.

Seriously - I had my 1st cat with IC - and once we knew what her diagnosis was, we were able to think back and connect what was "new" to her mind in all but a couple of her flare ups- our friends with dogs visiting, a new piece of furniture, a sudden change in weather, my husband working with power tools …
Anyway - once I learned of Glycosaminoglycan, not to be confused with glycosamine supplements, mind you, and researched the correct dosage - and applied it, she had a couple more flare ups months apart, and then, with continued "maintenance" doses, NO FLARE UPS in at least 2 years!

I'm scrambling now to find a supplier for it; I would love to have it for my 2nd cat just diagnoses last week.
'Adequan" is the brand that is most expensive usually, and is found often with horse suppliers, though they now make labeling for dogs.
"Ichon" is the brand I had good fortune with, and am trying to find again without Rx. Be careful you don't buy one that has other added elements.