Strays/ Ferals

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning,

I need some help trying to figure out a way to set up a feeding station for some stray and feral cat's behind the hotel I work at. I just saw the newest stray that is lost and confused on how to get something to eat and how to get out of the elements. So I just need some advice on what I need to do. I would check it twice a day at least 5 days a week, and once two days a week please help me help them.I will post pics of where I have in mind for the feeding station and then y'all tell me.

Thanks
Bella's Mom 💜

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Good morning,

I need some help trying to figure out a way to set up a feeding station for some stray and feral cat's behind the hotel I work at. I just saw the newest stray that is lost and confused on how to get something to eat and how to get out of the elements. So I just need some advice on what I need to do. I would check it twice a day at least 5 days a week, and once two days a week please help me help them.I will post pics of where I have in mind for the feeding station and then y'all tell me.

Thanks
Bella's Mom 💜
9 Practical Ways For You To Help Feral Cats - TheCatSite

Here's an article from AllyCatAllies and click on their links as they have many good articles dealing with strays and ferals

How To Keep Community Cats in an Area

Some members may contribute more than this, please check it out later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
9 Practical Ways For You To Help Feral Cats - TheCatSite

Here's an article from AllyCatAllies and click on their links as they have many good articles dealing with strays and ferals

How To Keep Community Cats in an Area

Some members may contribute more than this, please check it out later.
So now the question is , how do I start to get the four around here to understand that there is food there? I cant wait all day and the articles said not to leave food all night .,.. what about leaving it all day and coming back at night ?
I am just trying to figure this out .

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So now the question is , how do I start to get the four around here to understand that there is food there? I cant wait all day and the articles said not to leave food all night .,.. what about leaving it all day and coming back at night ?
I am just trying to figure this out .
Does the cats come often and what are the timing they come over? If they come over, it means that there's food for them. Someone else is feeding them or they eat elsewhere and come back to your place to rest?

Once you kinda of find out about their presence and why they are there, you can roughly work out a feeding plan for them. Have food out for them and observe if they eat in your presence and of course not next to you as I don't think they will be eating next to you at this moment.

Let them know that you are the one with food for them by filling up the dish in with them watching from afar and you move a distance away and observe them. It may take a few tries before they move in to eat with you watching them.

Otherwise, fill up the dish and leave it on top of a stable crate above the ground. It can be a covered crate leaving the front opened as if the crate is covered, it'll kind of protect the food and cats while they are eating from the elements and probably you can also build a shelter for them.

Create a feeding routine for them to get use to a regular feeding time/s and that will encourage them to look for you for food. It is also a plan to get them ti trust you.

If you can, use paper plates and dispose them after the feeding or each time you come feed them. Have clean water for them if you can.

You can try leaving their food out all day for them for a start and adjust the feeding time as I mentioned for them to get use to you. It all depends on your schedule.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does the cats come often and what are the timing they come over? If they come over, it means that there's food for them. Someone else is feeding them or they eat elsewhere and come back to your place to rest?

Once you kinda of find out about their presence and why they are there, you can roughly work out a feeding plan for them. Have food out for them and observe if they eat in your presence and of course not next to you as I don't think they will be eating next to you at this moment.

Let them know that you are the one with food for them by filling up the dish in with them watching from afar and you move a distance away and observe them. It may take a few tries before they move in to eat with you watching them.

Otherwise, fill up the dish and leave it on top of a stable crate above the ground. It can be a covered crate leaving the front opened as if the crate is covered, it'll kind of protect the food and cats while they are eating from the elements and probably you can also build a shelter for them.

Create a feeding routine for them to get use to a regular feeding time/s and that will encourage them to look for you for food. It is also a plan to get them ti trust you.

If you can, use paper plates and dispose them after the feeding or each time you come feed them. Have clean water for them if you can.

You can try leaving their food out all day for them for a start and adjust the feeding time as I mentioned for them to get use to you. It all depends on your schedule.
They are hotel street cats, and I have not established anything with them yet, I know there are 4 and I know they are in the back of the building per say yet nothing concreate.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
They are hotel street cats, and I have not established anything with them yet, I know there are 4 and I know they are in the back of the building per say yet nothing concreate.
Oh, so they are regulars. Anyone feeding them or have you seen them eating behind the building? It may be some one is already feeding them? Or this is their base camp and they feed elsewhere?

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Here we go again my darling Friend!Are you sure you want to do this?

If these 4 were in your yard or neighborhood I'd get it but at work'- you already know what you are proposing to commit to and set yourself up for.Give this alot of consideration before you have 4"Bellas" we are going to be worried sick over

price053 price053 you know me well,there's not a cat on the planet I don't want to help but we all have to draw the line someplace- it might take you many more years or never at all to know what you can & cannot do before it becomes overwhelming

I personally spent far too much energy on hauling off entire colonies,socializing for appropriate placement &or adoptions as I'm not an advocate for feeding outside cats,I can no longer afford to and am no longer physically able to round up every homeless kitty I see- it's heartbreaking but I no longer " look " for them...

I don't want to see you sick and worried- is there not one no kill shelter or organization in or near your area with volunteers thst feed & TNR?

❤

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here we go again my darling Friend!Are you sure you want to do this?

If these 4 were in your yard or neighborhood I'd get it but at work'- you already know what you are proposing to commit to and set yourself up for.Give this alot of consideration before you have 4"Bellas" we are going to be worried sick over

price053 price053 you know me well,there's not a cat on the planet I don't want to help but we all have to draw the line someplace- it might take you many more years or never at all to know what you can & cannot do before it becomes overwhelming

I personally spent far too much energy on hauling off entire colonies,socializing for appropriate placement &or adoptions as I'm not an advocate for feeding outside cats,I can no longer afford to and am no longer physically able to round up every homeless kitty I see- it's heartbreaking but I no longer " look " for them...

I don't want to see you sick and worried- is there not one no kill shelter or organization in or near your area with volunteers thst feed & TNR?

❤
I have tried many times in the past and where I live rescues won't touch them until animal control does. They tell you they are no kill but I know first hand they do. Then my favorite is we have no room so they shoot you websites of other rescues and it's always the same answer "We have no room" and tnr not sure of to be honest and Kwik I will think long and hard over the weekend on it 💜. Thank you for caring.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, so they are regulars. Anyone feeding them or have you seen them eating behind the building? It may be some one is already feeding them? Or this is their base camp and they feed elsewhere?
It's their base camp. The don't have any human feeding them. It's garbage cans and a guest who takes pitty

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried many times in the past and where I live rescues won't touch them until animal control does. They tell you they are no kill but I know first hand they do. Then my favorite is we have no room so they shoot you websites of other rescues and it's always the same answer "We have no room" and tnr not sure of to be honest and Kwik I will think long and hard over the weekend on it 💜. Thank you for caring.
No doubt we'll be talking (& praying) about this the weekend! Uhhh,I'm telling you we NEED to hit a big lotto
1703857341591.gif
1703857243817.gif

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It's their base camp. The don't have any human feeding them. It's garbage cans and a guest who takes pitty
Ok, maybe with your feeding, they'll not go elsewhere to feed and it is better that they stay around to eat rather than hunt and get into fights with other cats of other territories.

Well, I guess you could start trying but you need lots of patience as they could be total feral and that will be harder and takes a longer time for them to trust you but as you mentioned, a guest have been feeding them as in what way is he doing it? Just dump the food on the ground and walk away or they are fed properly using a plate or bowl and what food is the guest giving them? Hope it's no cooked chicken bones or fish bones and food with garlic and other seasoning that is no gapped for cats.

So if they are being kind of fed, most likely it'll be quite easy to win them over. I'm just hoping because someone has been feeding them.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, maybe with your feeding, they'll not go elsewhere to feed and it is better that they stay around to eat rather than hunt and get into fights with other cats of other territories.

Well, I guess you could start trying but you need lots of patience as they could be total feral and that will be harder and takes a longer time for them to trust you but as you mentioned, a guest have been feeding them as in what way is he doing it? Just dump the food on the ground and walk away or they are fed properly using a plate or bowl and what food is the guest giving them? Hope it's no cooked chicken bones or fish bones and food with garlic and other seasoning that is no gapped for cats.

So if they are being kind of fed, most likely it'll be quite easy to win them over. I'm just hoping because someone has been feeding them.
They are dumping food on the ground and leaving. I want to help them I just have to figure it out it was kibble but it was a passing guest nothing regularly. There are 4 of them that I know of.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
They are dumping food on the ground and leaving. I want to help them I just have to figure it out it was kibble but it was a passing guest nothing regularly. There are 4 of them that I know of.
Ok, from now on, you have to make them realized that you are associated with food and always with food, not just dumping the food on the ground but serving them regularly like twice a day and at the same time. Once they sort of getting fed regularly, they may stay around and wait for food as they’ll learn that their meal time is near and when they get hungry, they know that there’ll be food for them.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Well they came from somewhere where a food source was and msybe
ow there isn't if there's 4 of them....when there's no more food supply in a cats territory they'll expand it in search for food or with the drop in temperature seeking shelter.-so what is the hotel near----- restaurants,new mgmt ,closed,construction?For months there was no one around except Bella,now 4 cats show up? Take a ride dusk or dawn and see if there's a colony someplace or if they are scavengers then likely restaurant scraps was a source

I'd hate to see them leave a colony becsusd some guests started leaving food out mindlessly