Stray/matted Eyes

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK a little background on this...I found this little dude Wednesday morning at work with it's eyes matted shut I managed to clean the eyes where he/she could at least see..Now I have had the cat at home since I found it. I have been cleaning it's eyes with saline every two to three hours along with warm compresses held a few seconds at a time...

The kittens eyes have gotten noticeable better since I started this but he/she is not out of the woods yet...Some of its symptoms are as follows:

(1). Its little eyes are puffy.
(2). Clear drainage now but before I started with the saline it was a mucous looking discharge.
(3). Every once in a while clear liquid drips from its nose but its few and far between.
(4). And this kitten has gas that would stop an elephant!
(5). I cannot get it to drink any water.
(6). It will drink KMR diluted with water.
(7). It eat dry food and canned food.
(8). I know its dehydrated.

And no I have kept him separated from our other 3 adult cats I know thats a bad idea but I have been washing and scolding for two days and I only use two distinct dishes to feed the kitten so he/she is not eating and drinking out of the other cats bowls.

I face a dilemma and feel guilty....That I cannot do more to help the little one. I have an appointment for it at the vet tomorrow I hope. I just hope its not to late because I found this little one in bad shape.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and its weight is down but I am attributing that to the fact its a stray and lord knows how its been since it ate.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You sre doing pretty good so far.

The only disconcerning is you hint he is loosing weigh.

Will continue sooon

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get raw goats milk?

Raw honey? Good to add a little to this kmr / goats milk.

Good you shall visit vet. Eyes deworming perhaps more.

Good you separate for now from yours residents. If they arent themselves survivors ex homeless the risks too great. Scat Man Scat Man

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Add some water/KMR to the canned food, offer a dish of watered-down KMR, and don't feed any dry food at this point. That should rehydrate him just fine, and be easier to digest.

It's good you found the little one now. I found one last year whose eyes were crusted shut, and he had already lost one eye and the other is badly scarred :/ (don't worry about him, he barely notices!). So at least this little one has 2 good eyes. If you keep the eyes clean and the kitty is eating well, I think there's a very good chance he'll recover just fine.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you guess the kitten's age? Has teeth, from what you say about eating.

Keep us posted! And let us know about the vet visit.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, it sounds a lot to me as well that you found him in time, and that you're doing good things for him --let us know what happens at the vet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Scat Man Scat Man

The kitten sounds like it has an upper respiratory infection and will need antibiotics to clear it.

The vet may also give terramycin ointment for its eyes as they sound infected also.

The gas may be from worms or parasites, which the vet can treat for.

Ask the vet for nutrical, which is a high calorie supplement.

Thank you for taking this kitten in!

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My biggest fear at this point is I hope I have not infected one of my other 3 adult cats. I been sanitizing everything....Appreciate all the replies. Will update as soon as I see the today....

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to lock it in a large pet carrier when I leave for work and it hollers and I feel bad about it.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you post a picture of him? I am confused you did separate him from your current cats or you did not? URI's and eye infections clear up pretty quick once you start antibiotics!

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you post a picture of him? I am confused you did separate him from your current cats or you did not? URI's and eye infections clear up pretty quick once you start antibiotics!
No I did not...Sorry there was a typo in my original OP..I got no way to post a pic I wish I did...I know the shape this kitten is in is not my fault but why do I feel so guilty about it?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
His eyes should clear up really quickly with some terramycin ointment! If you cant get to the vet soon you can get some at tractor supply, it is in a yellow and white box!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I have to lock it in a large pet carrier when I leave for work and it hollers and I feel bad about it.
Does it have access to something to eat, non-clumping litter and something to drink?
Can you put it in a small room where you can close the door, such as a bathroom?

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You're doing great! Don't feel bad. I'm so happy you found this little guy, and are doing everything you can. Terramycin helped clear up my found kittens eyes easily, so hopefully that's all you need. The vet might also give antibiotics for his nose.
The gas might be from a parasite, as others mentioned, or even from the KMR, especially the powder kind. If it's not fully dissolved or too high concentration it can cause bloating and gas. It might be both.
I think you're doing fine: just keep feeding every few hours, keep him checking on him, keep his eyes clear, and keep him isolated. Even if it is sad, you have to watch out for all the cats under your care, and you're doing the best you can. As soon as you get to the vet, you'll know more, but you're doing a great job now!

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alrighty folks heres the run down...The little guy has a URI..Vet gave him some antibiotics and a ointment for his eyes....He has been drinking water like crazy since this morning but have still not gotten him to eat any yet.