Stray Male - Can He Learn To Be A Good Indoor Cat?

Heart4WI

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My son and his family had a stray male cat, dubbed "Jelly Bean", wander into their yard this spring. Due to my son's allergies, they are unable to take him into the house. He's become an extremely friendly chap, and loves their two little children (5 and 2). I live five blocks away, and have fallen in love with this cat. I can't stand the idea that he would need to be out in the garage all winter - so Grandma wants to adopt him.

I have no other cats nor dogs, but I do have a bird. She's been around cats, at times, all of her life and they never bothered her much - the cats quickly learn that parrots, even little ones, have quite sharp beaks. She's been good at training various cats to leave her alone, and is never out of her cage unless she's on me, so I am not too concerned.

What should I consider before adopting Jelly Bean? Obviously I'm inquiring already about getting him neutered and immunized. We think he's around a year old.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cat has never been an inside cat, there will be an adjustment period. Keep him in a bedroom with a carrier or box to hide in at first. He may cry a lot at first. You have to just ignore it and let him cry. That was the hardest part for me when I took in a stray kitty. If you give them attention when they cry, it makes them do it more, so that's why you have to ignore it. If you ignore it, eventually it will stop. Even though your bird has survived other kitties, I would not leave the alone unsupervised. The kitty will be much safer and happier inside. It will just take some time to get used to it's new life. Thanks for taking Jelly Bean in. Post some pictures and let us know how it is going.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Heart4WI and welcome to the forum !

Perhaps we could ask someone to provide some pertinent reading material.......

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 - any 'recommended reading ?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most stray cats adjust quickly and easily to indoor life. Since you don't have other cats or dogs, the transition will be even easier and he'll have the run of the house quicker. If he cries at night, perhaps you'll consider letting him sleep on your bed :) That's usually where cats end up anyway lol.

Be sure and get some Frontline Plus to administer to him in case he has fleas. You can purchase it more cheaply from Amazon or Ebay than from a store, or your vet can administer it after the neuter.

Your stray kitty will love you and always know that you rescued him and gave him a wonderful life. When do you plan to take him inside? The sooner the better, especially with the colder weather coming. Thanks for helping this cat!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He should have very little trouble adjusting since he is a stray. Get him to the vet soon so he can be neutered, vaccinated and tested for FIV and FELV.

It's best to start the cats off in a room of their own for awhile. Free run of the house from the start is often a bit overwhelming. The cat will then choose to hide and sometimes it's hard to retrieve them.

If possible use a room without a bed. If there is a bed, most cats will go right underneath and it's so hard to get them out. I always start with either the mattress and box springs flat on the floor or pick the bed up. Also block under and behind large furniture. You want him to remain out in the open as much as possible. He shouldn't have to be confined for long.

Be sure you start with a few litter boxes. He may never have used one. I like to use Dr. Elsey's Litter Attract. It works really well to get a cat to use the box right away. If there is an accident, just sop the urine up and bury the paper towel in the box. The same with poop. Cats are attracted by their own scent.

Feliway plug ins help a cat to feel calm. I also like to play soft music.

If it has been awhile since he has been inside a house, he may freak out when you shut the door. I have had them throw themselves repeatedly against the window for awhile. This is fairly normal behavior. He also may yowl and howl to get back outside for a few days especially at night. Just don't cave and let him back outside. If you push through the first 3-7 days, he will greatly calm down. He also will continue to calm after the neuter and once his hormones settle.

Thank you for caring and wanting to help this sweet one.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi Heart4WI and welcome to the forum !

Perhaps we could ask someone to provide some pertinent reading material.......

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 - any 'recommended reading ?
Yep! The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside is just FULL of good information!

Now, he's accustomed to being outside, so do go ahead and get a good enzymatic cleaner, just in case there are accidents at first, and you might try using potting soil in the litterbox for the first few days. Should he go outside the box, bury a bit of the waste in the box, so that his scent is there. Instinct should take care of the rest. LOTS of folks have good luck with Cat Attract for litter issues, so that's an alternative to think about as well.

Welcome to TCS, thank you for adopting Jelly Bean, and I hope all goes well! Keep us posted on how he's doing, and let us know about any issues that crop up!

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Usually there's no problem with strays/ ferals and litter boxes. This is the thing everyone worries about but ends up not being an issue the vast majority of the time. Cat's instinctively want to dig and bury their leavings. It's part of their drive for survival. If they cover up their scent predators won't come seeking them. They know they will not be able to cover up the scent if they go on the carpet- so they will seek out litter boxes. Ferals 99.8% of the time will use litter boxes without fail with no effort on your part. You can use Dr. Elsey's Cat attract litter- but I don't think you'll really need it. Petco now sells and "attract" version of it's sophresh litter. I haven't used it but noticed it in one of the ads last night. Only once I've had a difficult case and the vet and his behaviorist agree- he probably was an indoor cat that was peeing inappropriately and was most likely thrown outdoors.

The most important thing is to consult with your vet and make a plan. They might want him to be off food for overnight before they see him depending on whether or not he is handleable. If they need to sedate to examine him most likely they will want him to fast a little. Call and check. If the vet you use for your bird is not just an exotic vet you can inquire with them; otherwise check with your dad's vet.

It's hard to predict whether or not he will be quickly accommodating to indoor living. IME cats are much happier coming in and never look back provided that they are allowed to behave like cats indoors (allowed to climb and go up high etc). I've only had one go ballistic and need to go back outside. All I can say is that it might go much smoother than you anticipate but you should be prepared mentally for a little bit of work if it doesn't go smoothly.

I do worry about the bird though. It'd take some time before I left the cat alone in the room with the birdcage- no matter how secure you think the cage is. What kind of parrot do you have?

I ask because I had a red-speckled African conure when I was a kid and my mom brought in a few different cats and there was never an issue. But we had a very different experience with the parakeet:(

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said he is extremely friendly, so there's a good chance he won't hide from you or cry, and that he'll make himself at home right away. People are giving good advice so you can be prepared if there happens to be any bumps in the road initially, but things might actually go very smoothly. The last stray I took in was a cat someone had left behind when they moved. I kick myself now because I waited a year to befriend him, because that would have been one more year I could have spent loving him. Anyway, somehow he survived outside for a year even though he was declawed. One day I fed him. After a week of feeding him on my porch, I opened my door, he walked inside, and immediately made himself at home in my house with me and my other three cats at the time. He had already been neutered, so the trip to the vet came a week later. It was that simple, and sometimes it really can be that easy, so don't be afraid to open your home up to him.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I kick myself now because I waited a year to befriend him, because that would have been one more year I could have spent loving him. Anyway, somehow he survived outside for a year even though he was declawed. One day I fed him. After a week of feeding him on my porch, I opened my door, he walked inside, and immediately made himself at home in my house with me and my other three cats at the time. He had already been neutered, so the trip to the vet came a week later. It was that simple, and sometimes it really can be that easy, so don't be afraid to open your home up to him.
Yep. I feel the same way about the few I took in. I should've taken them in earlier and would've if I only knew how easy it would be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Heart4WI

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As soon as I have the requisite supplies and can get him to the vet for initial shots and checkup. I had a cat for three years which I co-parented with the man who was my fiance. Things did not work out for us, and Luna was more bonded to him - I did not feel that I could break them up. So... all of the kitty things stayed with him.

Heart4WI

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Usually there's no problem with strays/ ferals and litter boxes. This is the thing everyone worries about but ends up not being an issue the vast majority of the time. Cat's instinctively want to dig and bury their leavings. It's part of their drive for survival. If they cover up their scent predators won't come seeking them. They know they will not be able to cover up the scent if they go on the carpet- so they will seek out litter boxes. Ferals 99.8% of the time will use litter boxes without fail with no effort on your part. You can use Dr. Elsey's Cat attract litter- but I don't think you'll really need it. Petco now sells and "attract" version of it's sophresh litter. I haven't used it but noticed it in one of the ads last night. Only once I've had a difficult case and the vet and his behaviorist agree- he probably was an indoor cat that was peeing inappropriately and was most likely thrown outdoors.

The most important thing is to consult with your vet and make a plan. They might want him to be off food for overnight before they see him depending on whether or not he is handleable. If they need to sedate to examine him most likely they will want him to fast a little. Call and check. If the vet you use for your bird is not just an exotic vet you can inquire with them; otherwise check with your dad's vet.

It's hard to predict whether or not he will be quickly accommodating to indoor living. IME cats are much happier coming in and never look back provided that they are allowed to behave like cats indoors (allowed to climb and go up high etc). I've only had one go ballistic and need to go back outside. All I can say is that it might go much smoother than you anticipate but you should be prepared mentally for a little bit of work if it doesn't go smoothly.

I do worry about the bird though. It'd take some time before I left the cat alone in the room with the birdcage- no matter how secure you think the cage is. What kind of parrot do you have?

I ask because I had a red-speckled African conure when I was a kid and my mom brought in a few different cats and there was never an issue. But we had a very different experience with the parakeet:(
The parrot is a Meyers parrot - a bit smaller than a robin. She's in a very secure cage, but I will definitely be taking precautions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heart4WI

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have all but the kitchen, hallway and living room closed off, so he really cannot go too far, but I am thinking he will do okay without being shut in a room.