Stray Kittens Under The Porch

EmmaS1657

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have this stray cat that comes on our back deck that we feed. She recently had kittens(about 1 month ago). However she is a young cat and doesn't really have the maternal instinct to care for three kittens. Originally they would come up to the porch and let us pick them up and pet them. But then we gave one away and they haven't been back up on the porch in a few days. They are in the pipes under our porch. How can we coax them out?

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the kittens are only a month old they will need to be bottle fed KMR once you catch them.
I would recommend traps if they've lost trust in you, with some yummy food. But you could try just setting out the food where they can smell it (use something like tuna that they can't resist) and you can wait and watch for them to come out and just scoop them up, if it's an area you can reach anyway.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do bring the kittens, and mom if you can, inside. One month old is far too young to be separated from mom or the litter.

Mom needs to be spayed. Do you need help finding a low cost clinic in your area?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmmaS1657

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay I'll try that!!
If the kittens are only a month old they will need to be bottle fed KMR once you catch them.
I would recommend traps if they've lost trust in you, with some yummy food. But you could try just setting out the food where they can smell it (use something like tuna that they can't resist) and you can wait and watch for them to come out and just scoop them up, if it's an area you can reach anyway.

EmmaS1657

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would love to but unfortunatly my husband refuses to let her in the house as she is riddled with ticks and fleas. The kittens however he would let inside as long as we can catch them. We plan to get her spayed as soon as she stops nursing. She began to wean them about 4 days ago.
Please do bring the kittens, and mom if you can, inside. One month old is far too young to be separated from mom or the litter.

Mom needs to be spayed. Do you need help finding a low cost clinic in your area?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please treat mom for ticks and fleas. The babies certainly have them too. Can you get a large dog crate and keep mom and babies together for now?

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can wash the babies in dawn dish wash to kill the fleas, they're too small to use any treatment on them at this age but it will help a lot

EmmaS1657

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We will when we take her to get fixed. I can do that. How can I get them into the crate?
Please treat mom for ticks and fleas. The babies certainly have them too. Can you get a large dog crate and keep mom and babies together for now?
We wi

EmmaS1657

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay thanks for the help!!
You can wash the babies in dawn dish wash to kill the fleas, they're too small to use any treatment on them at this age but it will help a lot
Okay

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We will when we take her to get fixed. I can do that. How can I get them into the crate?
We wi
If you can catch the babies and put them in the crate, mom should follow.

You need to make a decision. Are you bringing the babies inside now and taking over feeding them completely

Or are you trying to keep them with mom for a few more weeks?

EmmaS1657

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel obligated to take them inside, but I don't really know how to care for them. I am only keeping one of them and giving the other away. She has been trying to wean them so I don't think she wants anything to do with them anymore.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel obligated to take them inside, but I don't really know how to care for them. I am only keeping one of them and giving the other away. She has been trying to wean them so I don't think she wants anything to do with them anymore.
This is incorrect, and kittens are a full time job. Mom starts to wean them and introduces them to food, but she is not done with them. Please get a large dog crate and allow the kittens to stay with mom. They will continue to learn from her. They need to stay together for now, but you can begin to offer kitten food to them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your best bet is to put mom and babies together in a large crate and get all of them to the vet for flea/tick treatment and a checkup asap.

Then you can decide how long to keep the babies and mom together. The kittens still need their mom right now, and mom will need to be spayed soon before she gets pregnant again.

Last edited:

EmmaS1657

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I was. I used some salmon to get them all in it but then they freaked out when I shut the door and broke the door and then escaped.
How is it going? Were you able to find a crate?

EmmaS1657

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay thanks for the advice!!
Your best bet is to put mom and babies together in a large crate and get all of them to the vet for flea/tick treatment and a checkup asap.

Then you can decide how long to keep the babies and mom together. The kittens still need their mom right now, and mom will need to be spayed soon before she gets pregnant again.

EmmaS1657

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will they be to scared to come back? Idk we found it in my parents basement from previous pets.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure about the time frame of one month? It is important to know the age of the kittens.

EmmaS1657

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not entirely sure. I know absolutely nothing about cats so saying that they are about 1 month old is based off of what google says.
Are you sure about the time frame of one month? It is important to know the age of the kittens.