Stray Cats As A Factor In Major Life Decisions...

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you have so much caring advice here at to what other members would do if they were you. If it were me, at your juncture in life, would it be worth it to move to a new place, start a new job, basically to start all over again ? As far as the ferals go, unfortunately, their will always be hungry ferals to take care of in this world, no shortage there. If that is even a consideration, do you really want to make that big change?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I consider my cats in all of my major life decisions in the same way that I consider my husband and others that I love. I don't think this makes you weird. It actually makes you a good human being who cares about other living beings beyond just yourself.

I have a mug that I use at work that says "I work hard so my cats can live a better life." My co-workers think it's funny... but it has a lot of truth to it for me. :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't find an apartment that would take 2 cats and 1 dog, so I was going to decline my job offer and move in with my grandparents and collect unemployment until I could get my teaching certificate, get a different kind of job, and find a different apartment. I almost thought about giving up one of my cats, but in the end I was looking at one last place and if that didn't work out I was taking that as a sign that this wasn't the job or the time for me. I didn't want to break up my furfamily so I could have a job.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I consider my cats in all of my major life decisions in the same way that I consider my husband and others that I love. I don't think this makes you weird. It actually makes you a good human being who cares about other living beings beyond just yourself.

I have a mug that I use at work that says "I work hard so my cats can live a better life." My co-workers think it's funny... but it has a lot of truth to it for me. :)
:lol: When I have to go to work I tell the cats I have to go make Cat Food Money

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't find an apartment that would take 2 cats and 1 dog, so I was going to decline my job offer and move in with my grandparents and collect unemployment until I could get my teaching certificate, get a different kind of job, and find a different apartment. I almost thought about giving up one of my cats, but in the end I was looking at one last place and if that didn't work out I was taking that as a sign that this wasn't the job or the time for me. I didn't want to break up my furfamily so I could have a job.
*Very relieved to see that "almost" in there.*

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, I have to explain this to Olive every time I leave.
I do the same thing. They don't want me out of their sight. But sometimes, even though all of our cat supplies are delivered to our door, they need to know that an expired servant can't open cans. Or scoop. Or refresh fountains. Much less play. :sigh:

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody,

I have 5 cats, plus I am feeding another 6 (3 tame strays, 2 semi-ferals, 1 completely feral).

I am in the process of deciding whether to keep my current job, which will force me to relocate to another city, or to stay where I'm at and look for another job.

It dawned on me that I'm thinking about my strays (and, to a lesser extent, my pet cats), as I'm leaning more and more towards staying where I'm at. I'm thinking "who will feed them? who will take care of them? how can I leave them when they depend on me?" I also think about one of my pet cats, who likes to spend time outdoors, and would probably be forced to become a 100% indoor cat if I moved. (She's the mother of my other four, and doesn't like to be around them very much, so going outside gives her a bit of a break from them. She's lived her whole life in this apartment complex, so I think leaving it would be pretty rough on her. It's her territory. The other four get to go outside occasionally under my close supervision, and they are very familiar with the lay of the land here, so they would be negatively affected by a move as well.)

Then, I feel like this is kind of crazy. Like, who makes major life decisions based on pets and stray cats?

I'm not saying it's the only factor in my decision...I hate moving in general, I just turned 56 and have no desire at this point in my life to start over in a new city where I don't know anybody, and the job is very demanding as it is, and doesn't leave me with a lot of free time to actually live my life...so there's all that.

But if I'm being honest with myself, the cats are really a big deciding factor in my mind.

So my question to members of this site is...

Have you ever based a major life decision on your cats or strays, or other pets? If you have, tell me, so I don't feel so alone and crazy in thinking this way.
my husband and i make our decisions to include our cat. HK is elderly now with health issues, which is the only reason we haven't sold our condo. our condo has almost doubled in value in the past 3 1/2 years, and if we sold it, we'd have enough left over to buy a house outright in some places and live without a mortgage. but HK needs his vet, his compounding pharmacy, and we think at his age, he should have as little change in his life as possible.

in 2000, we gave up an apartment my future husband had lived in for ten years because the owner said we could either give up this same cat or move. we moved.

cats are beings with feelings who don't get to make a lot of the choices when involved with humans, so imo that means we need to do our best for them.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my husband and i make our decisions to include our cat. HK is elderly now with health issues, which is the only reason we haven't sold our condo. our condo has almost doubled in value in the past 3 1/2 years, and if we sold it, we'd have enough left over to buy a house outright in some places and live without a mortgage. but HK needs his vet, his compounding pharmacy, and we think at his age, he should have as little change in his life as possible.

in 2000, we gave up an apartment my future husband had lived in for ten years because the owner said we could either give up this same cat or move. we moved.

cats are beings with feelings who don't get to make a lot of the choices when involved with humans, so imo that means we need to do our best for them.
applause.gif

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If I had my way, you'd get a Great Person/Family award! Since I don't, big props to you for being a decent, kind, compassionate human being/family who values your family members, as I do mine.:goldstar:

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Then, I feel like this is kind of crazy. Like, who makes major life decisions based on pets and stray cats?
My husband and me! Every major decision we have made over the last 14 years has always been considering our cats and dogs, and even a pregnant stray and her litter, and it has only become more complicated over time because we now have more pets than we did before.

For us, it is not crazy to make decisions based on them. They are part of our family. They are our responsibility because we chose them... and we love them!

We have moved several times to different countries and/or different cities. We have made decisions on graduate school and work based on them. Yes, things are more difficult and more expensive than just up and moving without considering anything/anyone else, but in the end it is a matter of doing the right thing and the right thing for us is looking after those who we chose to be under our care.

All I can say is that, in the end it comes down to doing what feels right, despite what others think.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, friends, in my mind there's a line between good people and people I avoid except when absolutely necessary. Since I was raised with cats and by people for whom cats have always been beloved family members, on the "good" side of that line are compassionate, kind, gentle, loving, and generally (though not always, because some people who are mentally challenged are also loving) people. On the other side? Those who aren't.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, friends, in my mind there's a line between good people and people I avoid except when absolutely necessary. Since I was raised with cats and by people for whom cats have always been beloved family members, on the "good" side of that line are compassionate, kind, gentle, loving, and generally (though not always, because some people who are mentally challenged are also loving) people. On the other side? Those who aren't.
i don't think this is just about cats - it's about kindness, compassion and taking care of those who count on you, whether they're cats, dogs, humans or any other feeling being. and taking care of those who need one's care, regardless of species.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't think this is just about cats - it's about kindness, compassion and taking care of those who count on you, whether they're cats, dogs, humans or any other feeling being. and taking care of those who need one's care, regardless of species.
Truly. Agree 100%. Cats just top my list, that's all. And being as this is The CAT Site...;)

4horses

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try having horses. It is even harder to go on a vacation, find a job, or relocate! At least cats are small and if you find a place with catio or yard, you could take them with you! If you really wanted, you could fence your new yard,trap the strays, and take them with you. Obviously that doesn't work for an apartment though. Plenty of people base where they live because of their pets/family. Not crazy at all.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I too don't travel because of the fuzzbutts. I picked my place because safe for the cats in the garden. And everything else is also correct. So no you are not crazy! We searched for a rental to take our cats with us on vacation. They love cabin time as much as we do. I know we have put off traveling due to not wanting to leave the cats. I made my home my fun place and since I like the simple life I am pretty happy just hanging out with the cats. And glad to know many of us feel the same!

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad dude. It would be the same as if you thought carefully on major life choices for the sake of their kids. Theres a reason they call us 'pet parents' and them our 'fur babies'. They are family, not simple accessories or objects we own after all. I respect that you took it seriously and thought of not only your own cats but the ones who rely on you too.

Any responsible pet parent would do the same thing.