Strange black spot on cat's nose

bananamillie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a strange case of a 12-13yo ginger cat who has had a black spot (or two) suddenly appear on her nose over the course of about a week.
In the first photo (6 days ago) it looks like a smudge of dirt, but in a couple of days it had progressed into a more prominent mark.
I do know that ginger cats are prone to lentigo (benign pigmentation) on their nose, especially as they get older, but the sudden appearance and growth of the spot has us concerned that it might be something more sinister and potentially cancerous. Although it does seem like unusually quick progression for squamous cell carcinoma or melanoma from what we've heard. Its appearance doesn't seem to have changed much in the last day or two.

We do have a vet appointment scheduled, but in the meantime we're hoping to find out if anyone has had something similar happen to their cat?
It's been a rough few days of waiting and worrying, since vet appointments are very backed up at the moment.

Based on the physical exam, the vet might do a biopsy if cancer is suspected. Putting her under general anesthesia is not a good option for her since she has heart issues, which has us concerned about the biopsy itself as well as potential treatment options after.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When you scheduled the Vet appointment, did you discuss what was happening and how quickly it happened? I'm guessing if they thought there was anything amiss, they would have gotten you in immediately. Or better yet,were you able to send these pictures? I know I've got a sick guy right now and was able to schedule a appointment for tomorrow.

Now, I did find this thread, which is kind of interesting. Not sure if it applies,but it's possible. I wouldn't have believed it if the original poster had not come back with her findings: Black spot on my cat’s nose, I don’t know what it is!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bananamillie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for pointing me to that thread! Not sure that it applies since this spot does appear to be growing a bit but we will try.

Re: vet's opinion - we did send her an email with pictures and all additional details. She did voice concern about it potentially being cancerous and needing to do biopsy to know if it's benign or not. She did mention a couple of other possibilities, but did not indicate what her best guess was.
The earliest they could squeeze us in was early next week, which is about a week out from when we had called to schedule an appointment.

celes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a strange case of a 12-13yo ginger cat who has had a black spot (or two) suddenly appear on her nose over the course of about a week.
In the first photo (6 days ago) it looks like a smudge of dirt, but in a couple of days it had progressed into a more prominent mark.
I do know that ginger cats are prone to lentigo (benign pigmentation) on their nose, especially as they get older, but the sudden appearance and growth of the spot has us concerned that it might be something more sinister and potentially cancerous. Although it does seem like unusually quick progression for squamous cell carcinoma or melanoma from what we've heard. Its appearance doesn't seem to have changed much in the last day or two.

We do have a vet appointment scheduled, but in the meantime we're hoping to find out if anyone has had something similar happen to their cat?
It's been a rough few days of waiting and worrying, since vet appointments are very backed up at the moment.

Based on the physical exam, the vet might do a biopsy if cancer is suspected. Putting her under general anesthesia is not a good option for her since she has heart issues, which has us concerned about the biopsy itself as well as potential treatment options after.
I know that this is an old post but I came here looking for answers when the same thing happened with my lovely cat Teddy. The vet had no idea what the problem was and after a week of treating with an antibiotic cream with no success, he had to have a biopsy. I was so worried that it was going to be carcinoma -- it was a horrible time. Anyway we got the results today and it turns out it is an allergy to a mosquito bite - or Feline mosquito hypersensitivity. This was probably the result of more than one bite from a mosquito, or a specific type of mosquito or similar insect and caused the allergic reaction. I hope that if anyone else is looking for help on these posts it might be something to consider. x