Stop Feeding? Opinions Needed.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would still continue to put food out during the day as you usually did. I would not leave it overnight as you would not know if he ate it, another cat or wildlife. I would give him another week before giving up. Then I would still continue to watch for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elphie124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will try that - thanks! Problem is that I put out food today and somebody ate it, but I have no way of knowing if it was him. Before, he would always be out there waiting, napping under somebody's car. I would put the food out and he would eat immediately.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would you be able to get a trail camera? It would enable you to know who is eating the food and if the kitty is still around when you cannot watch. They run about $60 on Amazon and very easy to use.

Last edited:

elphie124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would you be able to get a trail camera? It would enable you to know who is eating the food and if the kitty is still around when you cannot watch. They run about $60 on Amazon and very easy to use.
How did I not know these exist?! Excellent idea - thanks! I had considered a video camera that I could monitor with my computer but I don't think the wifi out there is strong enough. This sounds perfect.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use wireless ip cameras on my property to keep track of my ferals that I care for. I have also used a trail camera. Sporting goods stores sell them too as they are often used by hunters.

elphie124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I ordered a trail camera with overnight shipping. Peace of mind is priceless and it wasn't expensive. Thanks everyone!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I ordered a trail camera with overnight shipping. Peace of mind is priceless and it wasn't expensive. Thanks everyone!
What did you order? I'm scouting for an inexpensive trail cam and would love to hear what you got and if you liked it.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And fingers crossed you find out if it's him---it'll at least give you a tad bit of peace of mind if you figure out what's eating the food. We'd had ferals disappear for weeks. And we had one we called Harry with an ENORMOUS wound on his side where he had a section about the size of a box of playing cards - - both in length and width but also depth - - all the way to the bone - -it was awful. It took almost a YEAR to trap him?!?! He'd go for weeks not showing - then he'd show up, still looking awful. But he survived a full year - including a VERY harsh winter - and when we finally trapped him, took him straight to our emergency vet - - the vet said he shouldn't have lived a day with that wound. So if your poor guy hasn't survived - - at least know you provided him the joy of a full belly - which relieved, I'm sure, alot of stress for the poor fella. And he was loved from afar - I know they feel that. And if you DO end up seeing him again - hopefully you can catch him. Keep us posted.

cat marcum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With feral cats you never know when they will show up. The mother to Cletus and Tippy Toes had not been here to eat since before Christmas. She came in looking raggedy and with her ear tips split like she had been in a fight. She showed up tonight still looking rough but came to eat on the back porch like she always use to do. I have no idea where she has been but she is too wild to get close to although her babies are all sweet and loving. So it has been 4 months since we last saw her and then today she shows up from nowhere!