Stools Don't Look Right - And Nervous About Vet Visit

GinaN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am taking care of a stray cat (I am no longer calling her a feral, as i don't believe she is). I am trying to socialize her with the intention of finding her a good home. She seems to trust me more and more, has been a slow process, but there is progress.

Her poop looked weird last night (sorry for the graphic pictures). And she went outside of the litter box.

IMG_0321.JPG
IMG_0322.JPG
IMG_20170822_193220.jpg

Looking back at a picture from when I took her to the vet 8/6 (a little over 2 weeks ago) the poop looks somewhat liquidy and dark in this picture too. But now it seems darker, and also now the liquid spots.

IMG_20170806_161951.jpg

First, do you guys think that these look dark.

From everything I've read, dark stools can be a problem.

So I want to take her to the vet.

Here's my dilemma. Last time I took her (she wasn't peeing or pooping), she really freaked out during the visit, to the point they really couldn't do much with her. She peed and pooped while at the vet's so didn't have an obstruction, but I couldn't do any more tests, they couldn't look in her mouth, etc.

My original idea was to get her a full checkup in a week or two, and give her some Gabapentin beforehand.

But after reading up on Gabapentin, and the fact that she's having this issue right now, I don't know that I feel comfortable giving it to her. I feel like I don't know much about her health. What if it aggravates whatever she's got going on?

But then I am faced with what will be a very stressed out cat. Maybe even to the point of them not being able to go near her. So I don't know what to do.

If I decide the Gabapentin is the way to go, they open at 8 so I could pick it up, give it to her, and then take her.

I feel like there's no easy answer. I don't know much about the health of this cat other than the missing hair she had at her tail base (which is healing) and her raw nose (which seems to also have healed, but still looks weird to me). She has not shown any other overt signs of illness like coughing or sneezing. She seems a bit low energy to me, but I think that's in part to her adjusting to the new environment.

I am also not sure whether I should give her a little food right now? Or is it better to have her on an empty stomach? (I am realizing I should have frozen one of her stools last night to take the to the vet, but I didn't.)

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GinaN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm on hold with the vet's office.

I plugged in the Feliway for her, I'm thinking I'll take it with me and plug it in at the vet's too.

I am really agonizing about having to take her for another vet visit. :(

Every time she starts to trust me a little...:(

Here's one of her latest pictures (which I took last night before she had pooped)

IMG_0318.JPG

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Dark stools could mean a gastrointestinal ulcer, or bleeding in the upper GI tract. I'm not an expert, so there might be some other things too. Thank you for taking her to the vet!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would email the poop photos to the vet's office. Also, put a fresh poop sample in a Ziploc bag or glass jar to take to the vet with you. Perhaps all she needs right now is a stool test, and you can do that without taking her in? Is there any other reason she needs to be seen by the vet?

I'm not sure what the Gabapentin is used for, so I'll not comment on that.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From the first poop picture, it appears there is fresh blood and mucous in the stool. I would send this picture,(and others if you no longer have the specimen), to your Vet.

I think there may be a gastrointestinal issue going on here. For now, I would not give any sort of medication which may only mask symptoms. Vet needs to examine the cat "as is" and make a determination as to what is going on. Further tests may be needed.

I would take this cat to the vet before the issue gets any worse.