Static Electricity and Cats

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This seems to be a seasonal problem for us...all that dry winter air. I feel so bad when I pick up Stan and shock him on the butt...should probably try the humidifier too...

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiger and Angel get static so bad! One time, we fluffed up Tiger with static from a fleece blanket.
It was so funny! When they chase each other, they get so much static that when they pass your legs, you get shocked.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

Yup, I "grease" mine up whenever they get really bad. I just use a tiny bit of olive oil and rub it into their fur. They love the way it tastes (or at least seem to by their ecstatic grooming afterwards) and it cuts down on the static for awhile. Just make sure you don't use TOO much oil, or else they really will get all greasy, and no one likes a greasy cat!
This works, and it also helps a cat that has problems with hair balls because it lubricates their insides. You can also use mineral oil, but my cats don't like that taste but it's much cheaper. Olive oil is much more expensive!

Best thing is either a humidifier, or even put bowls of water on your radiator or heater, or bring a pot of water to a boil on the stove and let it cool then boil it again. Basically your house needs moisture.