Starting Prozac Day 1

ellenature

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've just received the prescription in the mail and we started with Prozac a few hours ago. 

All things seem ok so far.

If anyone is interested in knowing what's happening, I can update with info in this thread.   :-)

- Prescribed: Fluoxetine 5mg

- Twist-a-dose Transdermal Gel

- Each 2 full pen rotation delivers 5mg of the medication

- I am turning the dial 1 time for 2.5mg once a day

- The pen has a felt tip where the medication exits out the middle in a cream-like form

- It was very easy to gently rub onto the inner ear lob/flap

- No dripping.

- Cost per pen $19.00 plus shipping

- 1 pen lasts 1 month with 5mg daily dosage (2 months with 2.5mg daily dosage)

This is very similar to cosmetic products with a twist end that forces the product up. I have a lip pen like this.

Couldn't be easier!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I notice you have posted in a few threads on similar kinds of topics @ellenature  , offering information and asking questions.  It would be really interesting to hear more about what you have gone through with your cats up to now, and hear about how you and your vet got to the stage of trying out the Prozac.  It sounds like you have gone through quite a few options so it would be great to see this information together with how everything goes as you start the latest medication.   Hopefully we will read positive updates and see things settle in your home.  

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ellenature

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'm trying to be hopeful after a very upsetting course of events with my two kitties.

ellenature

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:
10 days in with the ear application and things are going ok. The two cats are still separated as reintroduction is not doable yet. They seem basically the same with no change in behaviour, sleeping, eating, drinking or bathroom habits. The male cat cleaned his ear after I did an application and he threw up a few times later that day, definitely upset his stomach.

Hoping for significant change coming soon!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt you'll see much of a change for a month or two. Just like in people, Prozac takes time to work. I have a friend who has the most lovable fat orange cat I've ever seen. His name is Lunchbox! Around his third birthday Lunchbox started urinating outside the litter-box. After undergoing every test imaginable he was put on Prozac. About two months after his first dose he stopped his inappropriate urination and has never done it again. My buddy tried to take him off the Prozac and what do you think happened? Yep, so back on it he went. Just give it some time and your cat will be fine.

ellenature

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can only hope! Thank you for the feedback.

ellenature

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
5 Week Update:
Today we switched to a pill form of Fluoxetine. I'm traveling in a month and my housemate cannot handle the ear application. Also, no noticeable mood changes with either cat using the ear (transdermal) medication for five straight weeks. They had no issues either.

It feels like starting over with hopes of mood and agression improvement. Hopefully since they have some of the medication in their system already, this will be an easy transition.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be that in five more weeks you'll be out of the woods.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

emilyann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ellenature ellenature I'd love to hear an update on how your kitty is doing. I just started Prozac (pill form) with one of my cats yesterday after months of trying to introduce her to another cat using literally every possible method.