Starting Kidney Failure - What Do I Do?

jackal2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Short story my 15 year old started drinking a lot of water toward the end of 2017. He had bloodwork done in November 2017 which came back fine.
Two weeks ago he had constipation issues, got an enema, then seemed ok but then got an ultrasound and urine test at the request of the vet last week.
Ultrasound revealed the kidneys were lighter colored, urine test revealed he wasn't processing as expected I guess. Vet stated on a scale of 1-4 (4 being the absolute worst) he is at a 1. This would explain his increased water intake and peeing all the time. Vet stated he is actually dehydrated and explains why he was constipated because as the water goes in, it goes right back out.
The vet said there isn't any prescription meds to give him. I've been giving him "pet wellbeing kidney support gold" for a few weeks. Don't know if this helps or not.
She said I can get lactulose from them if his constipation doesn't improve on the miralax and pumpkin I've been giving him.
What else can I do?

fodder

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Diet is the best thing you can do for your kitties kidneys. There are many different options available but i assume the one you are already feeding him is designed for this condition. There is a lot of good information online as it is a common issue, especially with older cats.

Il try to add a link below to a site that has some good reading but not sure if it will work.
The truth about renal diets for cats | Cat Kidney & Urinary | Cat Healthcare | Cats | MedicAnimal.com

It did :D just click that red text the truth about.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jackal2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats diet consists of wet canned food in the morning which may be anything from chicken to fish based, applaws, solidgold, wellness, etc. For afternoon I give him a small piece of chicken (1/2 a chicken tender) cooked. Then for dinner it is usually 1/2 can of fancy feast (beef/chicken/liver, etc.)
Quickly looking over that article, it states "low amount of protein" so I guess I shouldn't be feeding him his chicken anymore???

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Subcutaneous liquids may help as well; ask your vet about that. She (or one of her staff) can easily teach you how to do it. This does two things:
  1. It should help with the dehydration.
  2. The fluid under the skin helps to remove toxins from the blood stream, putting less stress on the kidneys. It's a form of dialysis.
Three and a half years ago we had an expert come to TCS and answer our questions about kidney problems for a month. You can find that thread here: One more: 2%? Also, we have an article here: Your Cat’s Kidneys Called

I'm very glad you caught this early. There's a lot more you can do about it at this stage.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jackal2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The more I read the more I'm confused.
Protein is bad, but make sure you have enough of it or they will lose muscle. This or that food is good or not good. etc.
The vet said nothing to me about subcutaneous liquids and didn't want me to change his diet. I requested she call me back to look over his diet and if I should start supplementing with a kidney food.
Since I just found this out, the only thing I did diet wise is remove his dry food as it was just there for grazing if he wanted it. It was not his primary source of food.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you're on the exact right track removing his kibble, and checking with the vet. I'm thinking she didn't advise for subq fluids as she didn't see him at the point of needing that? Yet she's saying he is dehydrated. You're right on asking her about the diet situation.
I'm not a vet but was his poop the same as it always used to be over the past couple years, before this constipation event?
If you don't get a feeling of confidence after talking with her again, maybe it would be worth considering getting a second opinion. We're sending tons of good thoughts your way - hang in there!!

fodder

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are correct with the protein. The reason it needs to be reduced is that it is hard for the body to process it. You are also right in that they need to get enough to sustain muscle mass.

I have not dealt with kidney failure in an animal personally but i would think that finding that correct balance would be one of your main goals. You said the vet did not mention it, perhaps he is not at a stage where you need to be concerned with such things.

When you talk to your vet tell her you have been researching diets for cats with kidney issues and they mention lowering the protein and ask if you should consider that at this stage i am sure your vet will give you the best information available to your specific case.