Starting Cold Turkey

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK! Given it's dinner time, I'm officially allowed to post poop pictures now, right? AND... I'm officially joining the PLA, as these are the first poop pictures I've ever taken! :eek:

I forgot to take a picture before I dissected it - but you can see the end with the little "twist" of hair that said "Hey, there's hair in this poop!"

Yep - I used the zoom so you can see the hair and the "shell" that encased it. :lol3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow!  That much hair?  Does this mean no more hairballs?  The kittens have never had a hairball.  Cricket gets them, I let him eat grass at will.  Right now I don't have any going tho.

BTW, what's for supper?  I was thinking meatloaf. 
 have you seen or read 'The Help'?  This gives me ideas for dessert

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok, Laurie, I think you broke a record on this one :flail:

Bugsy's hairy poops are pretty impressive..... They are almost a fully formed hairball, encased in a thin crust of poop LOVE IT

I love hairy poops and I can't deny

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just make sure the meatloaf doesn't have a hairball center. :flail:

My cats didn't have issues with hairballs until they were older. And now I know why - hairballs are a sign of digestion not working properly, which is why most kittens don't have issues with hairballs. Chumley - I have no idea if he ever had an issue with hairballs. (That's his poop, and he's not shy, so he doesn't mind my sharing the pictures. :) ). He was a feral kitty we trapped - but he was so food aggressive, that in his three days here before we trapped him, he scattered the colony of 6 or 7 at the time. It took three days for them to come back. So we didn't release him. Thank goodness. Poor fella was soooooo ready to call it quits with the outside. He was really beat up, and really sick. He's FIV+. Our regular vets couldn't fix him up (gnawing his fur out, explosive diarrhea), so we found a D.V.M. trained in Chinese meds. He had the same condition that's associated with most cases of hairballs, an "extreme spleen Qi deficiency." :dk:

So on a raw diet, your kitties may never develop a hairball issue, as on raw, their digestion should work properly. My cats were fed dry food - free fed - for years. And several of them started having real hairball issues when they were ... 5-6 years old. Like everyone else - and most vets - I thought hairballs were "normal." Well, now I know they're not. They're a sign things aren't working the way they're supposed to.

So for some kitties, the switch to raw solves the problem. For others, it's not enough, because things are already so out of whack. I've added 1/2 a capsule daily (the capsules are 400mg) of egg yolk lecithin to their diet, and this - so far - seems to have resolved the hairball issue in ALL of the kitties. Lazlo threw up a pile of them about 6 weeks ago - but that was a month or so after I started the egg yolk lecithin, and I was using a lower frequency then. ...and he had a massive tumor (malignant) in his tummy that was treated with chemotherapy that ended in January (went into complete remission! :clap: ), and ulcers, so he has issues that aren't normal. But even he hasn't had a problem with hairballs ( :cross: ) since I upped the dose from 2x a week to daily. Again - :cross:

But yes - that much hair! Chumley grooms a lot. I think it's because he was older than the others when rescued. He was 3 or 4 years old when we rescued him in 2010 - so keeping really clean to keep any scent off of him that could make him a prey target would be more important to him. :rub:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, Laurie, I think you broke a record on this one :flail:
Bugsy's hairy poop are pretty impressive..... They are almost a fully formed hairball, encased in a thin crust of poop LOVE IT
I love harry poops and I can't deny
:flail: Toby - Carolina's Bugsy has long hair. I bet long haired kitties have a lot of hair in their poop if they're passing it through!! :lol3:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Isn't mealtime fun now?  It is a whole different experience, like fixing meals for hungry kids while they wait in happy anticipation...

They are enjoying all being together at mealtimes and are eating 4 -5 consistent meals a day, and Cricket is getting a chicken wing every day to gnaw on.  He luvs 'em, the brats
don't.  They do however like to play with his tail while he's slowly gnawing away.  I actually saw Clancy & Cricket curled up together
in the heated bed.  I wish I could have gotten a picture, but as soon as they saw me interested, they lickety split!

What's really cute is they all wake up and play quietly (mommy is actually awake, just pretending to still be asleep) waiting for me to get up to make breakfast

Last edited by a moderator:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love meal times too. I get a really deep satisfaction from feeding them raw meals. That came as a surprise, I didn't know I was going to get that personal side benefit.

I love hearing how the kittens play with Cricket's tail while he noms on his wing. How about some video of that? Or a picture at least. Try not using the flash (if you usually do) that will be less likely to disturb them.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love meal times too. I get a really deep satisfaction from feeding them raw meals. That came as a surprise, I didn't know I was going to get that personal side benefit.
I love hearing how the kittens play with Cricket's tail while he noms on his wing. How about some video of that? Or a picture at least. Try not using the flash (if you usually do) that will be less likely to disturb them.
You are so right, truth is I never thought that much about it until this experience. But it does somehow result in a deep satisfaction and a whole different experience with your cats. And also, for some reason their own interactions with food and with each other.  It has opened my eyes to what they are eating, how much, what's coming out.  I certainly didn't picture myself following them around with a camera

I almost just got pic of Clancy and Cricket snuggled together in the window, but as soon as they saw that camera....but they are actually getting along better. Either that or it's cold.

I am definitely going to get some of the tail playing pictures. 
They are fascinated with Cricket's tail!

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cricket is now eating all of his Rad Cat portion and licking his dish clean. 
I am sprinkling just a tiny bit of Fortiflora on his ration.  He is also getting a chicken wing to gnaw in the afternoon.  I just love how he now waits patiently in the kitchen while I do the routine of getting the tea kettle going for warm water.  They now associate the tea kettle whistle with mealtime. When I make tea for me, they think they are about to get something yummy.

Rufus has had two minor vomiting episodes yesterday and this morning.  He is acting fine otherwise.  On Monday we have a vet appointment for a re-check on his progress since receiving a proper diagnosis.   Had it not been for TCS, we would still be assuming per the vet that Rufus has a herpes virus.  Tests I learned about here on this site showed he didn't have herpes virus!  He had three other things going on: Bordatella, Calici, and Mycoplasma.  Vet wanted to put him on antivirals, thank goodness I found TCS and got to the root of things. 

I will also be having a more in depth discussion on the raw feeding.  I think he is going to see a marked improvement in his coat and teeth.  Vet was already showing concern over 6.5 mo Rufus' gums, he had that classic red line on his gum line. Told me that gum disease is a classic side effect of viral illness.  I am using gauze wrapped around my finger to brush his teeth.  Between that and the raw diet, there is no longer the red line on his gums. 

I need to go out and get mommy some ramen noodles.  The cupboards are empty since these cats are eating me out of house and home.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow - that's GREAT the gingivitis seems to be gone! :clap: Lazlo needed antibiotics to get rid of it, but the raw is keeping it gone. :D

Hopefully the vomiting episodes are over with. :cross: When Shel would get into what I called a "vomit cycle" during the transition, I'd give him a pepcid a/c to break the cycle. I have it on hand here for Lazlo, who gets one daily (he had a cancerous mass in his tummy and bleeding ulcers, so we keep him on the pepcid as an ulcer preventative).

And remember - if you start feeding whole prey model raw, the cat's food IS human food, so you can eat the "cat food." ;)

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow - that's GREAT the gingivitis seems to be gone!
Lazlo needed antibiotics to get rid of it, but the raw is keeping it gone.

Hopefully the vomiting episodes are over with.
When Shel would get into what I called a "vomit cycle" during the transition, I'd give him a pepcid a/c to break the cycle. I have it on hand here for Lazlo, who gets one daily (he had a cancerous mass in his tummy and bleeding ulcers, so we keep him on the pepcid as an ulcer preventative).
And remember - if you start feeding whole prey model raw, the cat's food IS human food, so you can eat the "cat food."
Well, he is on Zithromax so that may have helped as well.  Great tip about the pepsid, I will pick some up along with the ramen noodles and kitty litter.  These cats eat better than I do!   Poor Lazlo, what a trooper and such a gentlemanly name, I love it!

I've just begun adding raw prey, I can't wait 'til we are all sitting around the table together eating and sharing thoughts about the day.  Another thread mentioned going to the Asian markets for fresh meats.  The one I sometimes go to has literally everything you can think of, very fresh and rock bottom prices.  I even got a Durian there once, just to try it.  If I could only get past the smell, the fruit was actually pretty good. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh man - another one with an accessible asian market!

So... will you be teaching them to use silverware then? Or you won't be doing sit down meals together...

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh man - another one with an accessible asian market!
So... will you be teaching them to use silverware then? Or you won't be doing sit down meals together...
The Asian market - there's actually several of them in Denver has everything from fresh quail (and quail eggs) to frog legs, and everything in between.  It's only about 45 minutes away, and I love going there any way. 

The only time they are going to be required to use silverware and proper table manners will be for Sunday supper. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well then you'll have to let us know if Cricket enjoys the frog leg as much as the chicken wing... or if he give you the "mom, what's wrong with this chikin?" look. :lol3: