Starting Cold Turkey

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No pun intended....

About 25 years or so ago I had an immune compromised kitty and explored feeding raw.  I even experimented with a few 'recipes' I came across.  The internet was not around then and there were almost no resources, certainly no commerical raw diets.  Back then, Iams was considered a 'premium' cat food!  I was using a cats only vet, who strongly discouraged me from feeding raw, so I gave up on it.

I found TCS recently in researching a different topic.  I had not ventured into the Raw Foods Forum, but still kept seeing how much the raw diet kitties seemed so healthy.   

Earlier this week while at the pet supply store, I had them show me their raw selection and picked up a tub of Rad Cat frozen turkey.  I had no idea what I would do with it, but thought I would use it as treats and see if my brood of 3 would eat it. 

Then I found Auntie Crazy's raw food basic links.  Thank You!  I still have lots of research to do.

I defrosted the tub of Rad Cat in the fridge.  It was still icy this morning so I warmed a bit up in a bowl placed in hot water. 

The kittens licked their plate clean.  My 13 year old, however, wanted nothing to do with it.  I finished up with the canned food they usually eat and all three finished their meal.  Then I noticed one of the kittens was looking for the raw.  He jumped up on the counter an licked the spoon I had used, before I could do the dishes!   So I gave them each a little more, and they both licked their plate again.  I am sooooo happy right now. I've already used up 1/4 of the tub!  

Now if I can only get the older one to adapt!  He seemed really interested because the kittens were loving it so much, but he turned up his nose, and I want to keep his weight up. 

I'm so excited to be here, thanks for the wonderful support of this site!

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's great!  I'm pretty new to raw myself and my 4 cats also warmed up to it immediately.  One is picky about trying new proteins besides chicken but otherwise it is a love-fest with the raw food! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am amazed at how much they LOVE it!  They are usually good eaters, but there is something different going on here.  It was like they couldn't get enough of it!  And now, while normally very active kittens, they are almost bouncing off the wall - and I mean that in a good way
 Maybe I am just imagining this, but there is something different about them after just one meal.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Quick question.. their first taste was about three hours ago and they are acting hungry now.  They have eaten more for breakfast that I've ever fed:  1 entire 5.5 ounce of canned food and approx. 1/4 of the raw tub.  They are hanging around me in the kitchen like they do at meal time, and have gone back and licked and re-licked their bowls.  This is amazing, it's almost scary how much they are craving this food. 

Right now I feed 2x daily wet, with kibble always available.  I have put the kibble up for now.  I will probably just keep the kittens on the raw only, but still feed canned to my older cat and hope I don't have to keep him on kibble.

If they seem hungy (I don't know how, it seems they just ate A LOT), should I feed more them more raw before supper a few hours away?

carmina piranha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hiya, Toby:

I don't know how big a Rad Cat tub is, and how long an extra amount of RC should last them, but I'm thinking they may be hungry because their kibbles are gone and they didn't get enough extra to cover that.  The general rule for kittens is "Feed them often, and feed them as much as they want."  (However, I do start limiting food when they are about 11 months, since one cat blimped up at that age and then never lost weight until she went on raw).  Be warned, sometimes our kittens would hear us in the kitchen, and come beg for food even if they'd just eaten.  We quickly decided to feed them 5 times a day, and ignore their begging (at 8 months old, not as wee kittens.  However, always be mindful of how many calories they're getting and that maybe you really do need to feed them more). 

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Carmina,

I got the 8oz tub. The kittens normally eat two 5.5 oz cans (total) 2x day, along with the kibble.  If they seem hungry after finishing the canned, I give them more.  Usually what they can eat in about 15 min. or so.  They are both approx. 6 months old. Clancy has already surpassed 10 lbs, but he is not over weight, just very solid.  Rufus is now about 6.5 lbs. 

I gave Cricket, the 13 yo a small bowl of kibble since he was looking for it.  Cricket is a little over 9 lbs. and I really want to at least maintain his weight, if not gain some.  I can only slightly feel his spine and he's in great shape.  I took the bowl of kibble up after he was done.

I had no idea the kittens would transition so quickly. There have been no upset tummies, so far.  So I'm thinking why not just go cold turkey?   The place that sells it is about 25 miles away, the next real town over.  They have a huge variety, I will need to go there tomorrow because I only picked up one tub.

I have honestly never seen a cat go this crazy for food.  Clancy is not allowed on the counter, and he jumped up with me standing right there.  Even though their bowls are clean, they keep going back to them and sniffing and licking them.  Clancy, who is more reserved and usually waits patiently for his food, unlike Rufus, has been circling my legs all afternoon when I'm in the kitchen.  He has never done that before.  I'm telling you these are different cats since this morning.  

It sounds like on the raw they are just going to be eating more meals.  Should I at least supplement with the canned (Wellness grain free chicken/turkey) for a while, or can I just go cold turkey?  And what about the kibble?  Cricket is not ready for the transformation just yet. 

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens usually adapt to raw pretty quickly, as you have already witnessed
.  As far as feeding both raw and canned, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that, or just feeding them only raw.  Either works.  BUT, I would not feed them raw and kibble in the same time frame, since kibble digests differently than raw and could cause some issues.  If you want to continue with the kibble, I wouldn't feed raw for a couple of hours around the kibble (hope that makes sense) if you can help it.

Rad Cat is a great raw food...once I gave one of mine that, he wouldn't eat any other raw for a long time
.    I had to buy it by the case (in the 24 oz size no less!)  I would think an 8 oz container would only last you one day, since kittens need about twice as much food as adults, and since Clancy is already 10 lbs, he'll need lots

As far as Cricket goes, since he's not showing any interest in raw at all, you may need to mix a very teeny amount (maybe just 1/4 teaspoon) into his wet food to try to hide it until he readily excepts it, then begin upping the amount very slowly.  Some cats just don't know what's good for them
.  Mine were that way.  I had to try every trick in the book to get them on raw (still have to use toppers half the time, and they've been eating raw since March)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I LOVE Rad Cat. It was what finally got four of my six completely converted to 100% raw. Now I am able to rotate brands fairly easily, except for two. Kittens, as Sally said, will take to raw immediately. Good to start them young. I also agree with Sally in that you could serve raw and canned meals throughout the day. No kibbles with the raw though. Best to stick with wet food and raw, or raw 100%.

There are many "topper's" to try for your senior kitty to entice him to try a taste. Whole Life Freezed Dried Chicken is a favorite. You could even crumble up kibbles in a coffee grinder and sprinkle that on the raw to see if you 13 yr. old will try a taste. Just start very slow and see if you can get Cricket to just taste the raw. Some of us started out making pea-sized raw balls and rolled them in yummy toppers. It is a way to get them started. Most of our older cats that have been eating kibbles don't even know that raw...... is food..... :lol3: Sounds funny, but it is true. We have to teach/convince them to enjoy their natural species appropriate diet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: They just don't know any better. :)

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I've created a monster! 

Tonight I divided the remaining portion of the Rad Cat in half, in order to have one more meal for the morning.  I mixed a small amount into Cricket's wet food.  He ate a little, he's not a big wet eater, but now with the kittens he has taken more of a liking to it. 

I served the raw along side the canned for the kittens - just to see. They gobbled up the raw immediately, and weren't interested in the canned.  They kind of pick at it and never finished.  It's still out and I imagine if they are hungry they will finish it up.  They did finish Cricket's uneaten portion though.  This is not a hunger issue, they are absolutely CRAZY for the Rad Cat.  Have they sprinkled fairy dust in this stuff?  I'm not going to be able to afford it long term.  Carolina gave suggestions on a cheaper brand to switch to on another thread.  

Clancy is especially intererested in this food, although Rufus is digging it just as much.  I've never seen Clancy be this aggressive as far as jumping on counters.  He did it again tonight after their meal. 

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey Feralvr,

I think we were posting at the same time.  Cricket did eat a little, completely mixed in with his wet food tonight. 
It was about the amount he usually eats of the wet food.  But because of Cricket, I am reluctant to take away the kibble altogether.  I have had it up since this morning, but gave Cricket some when he was looking for it.  It's now up out of sight.  He is the kind of cat who would just starve rather than eat something that is above him

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"Starting cold turkey." :flail: :clap: :clap: I love it! And apparently they love their Rad Cat turkey! :D :bigthumb:

Yes, it's expensive to feed exclusively Rad Cat. :nod: http://www.hare-today.com is MUCH cheaper and as whole ground animal, is great - and the meat is also very fresh and... "juicy." :lol3: Some of my cats stopped wanting to eat ground raw or I'd be feeding Hare Today probably. They do like the ground rabbit and pork, so I still give them that. And I source a lot of the stuff I use for our home made meals from them. They LOVE duck and turkey hearts!

And WTG on Cricket eating some! That's huge on what - day 2? :D :clap: There are a number of kitties that would refuse to eat the food if it had any raw in it. Lauren's (feralvr) :princess: Perla used to spit it out! :flail: (Sorry Lauren, that still makes me laugh! :anon: ).

Have fun experimenting, learning what they like, and how to entice Cricket to enjoy it. I use a lot of freeze dried stuff - chicken, lamb, beef liver, chicken liver... :nod:

FYI, I feed three meals a day: before breakfast, around dinner, and before bed. I don't know for kitties... I'd probably try to work another meal in there. But mine are all adults. Two that were kibble addicted REALLY want smaller meals more frequently, but they've adjusted. You'll get there! And yes - those kitties can eat a lot! But on raw, they typically don't need as much food as they did on canned.

And honestly? I think you really may be seeing a difference after one meal. The food is so "usable" by the cat - you'll see it in the poop, also immediately. :nod: There is so much less volume - so they ARE getting more energy from their food! I have 8 cats in a small space, and apart from the poop thing, what I saw first was just after 3 days - and it was behavioral. They all got "nicer:" more tolerant of each other. I think it's because they felt better. :)

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, it's day one 

LDG.

I never expected actually start today, it was just to see if they would take it.   And I truly don't think I'm imagining things, but they are somehow different cats - the kittens anyway.  They are being more affectionate, I thought it was a ploy to get more Rad Cat.    I only have enough left for breakfast.  Tomorrow I'll make a trip to Chow Down, don't you love that name? and get more and try some others.  They carry Stella and Chewys, Nature's Variety, OC Raw, and Bravo. 

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Day ONE? :wow: Even better!

Oh have fun trying new foods! :clap: :clap: :clap: Shopping for new food was so fun in the beginning! :lol3: It's especially exciting when they LIKE what's good for them! :D

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kibble has been up all day.  I gave Cricket only a bit this afternoon.  So we are basically without kibble now for almost 24 hours. 

I was going to serve a can of the wellness before bedtime, and realized I had some freeze dried packages .8oz of Stella and Chewy's the guy at Chow Down gave me a few weeks ago.  Duck Duck Goose Dinner for cats.  I didn't know until I looked at them just now that they are raw! Well, kind of with the freeze drying,  I think that's kind of odd that he didn't mention that, I believe it was the owner that gave them to me.  Anyway, I hadn't paid too much attention to trying them because at $1.99 each, and it would take probably three or more a day to feed my cats, I couldn't afford it.   But I liked the idea of the reconstituted meal.

So I made up three bowls of the Stella and Chewy's and Cricket ate almost the whole thing!  Almost one third of the package
 And the kittens finished their bowls and licked them clean.

Clancy is usually the more reserved of all the cats.  He wasn't very socialized at all when I got him, and very skittish.  He's made tremendous progress on that front, but still would always run if I were to try to pick him up.  If he approached me, he was ok being held. Mr. Clancy has been following me around all day, and he even let me pick him up with out trying to run away.  This is incredible.  He has all of a sudden started going up on the counters though, aaargh, and tonight I caught him on the stove, where the kettle of boiling water was.  That scared me. what's up with that?  I've never had him jump on the stove before.  Of course I corrected him. 

So the plan is to keep the kibble up tonight and see if Cricket eats more raw tomorrow, and it looks like he's moving in that direction.  I think he's seeing how much the kittens love it and so he want to be in on the action.

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cricket ate almost an entire 3oz serving of the Stella and Chewy's this morning!
  I took the kibble away completely overnight.  He sometimes likes to sleep in and rarely shows up for breakfast, I have to rouse him.  This morning he followed me to the kitchen as soon as I got up.    The kittens got the remainder of the Rad Cat, and I prepared a packet of Stellas for Cricket.  He immediately took to it, the Tummy Ticklin' Turkey.  He actually gobbled up more than he would normally eat of the canned.  He then went over and sniffed what the kitten were eatings,  I swear he even licked it but didn't take a bite.
I'm heading to Chow Down today, hopefully they will do a trade on the nearly 2 cases of cans that I just bought and the big bag of kibble. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great news!  Yes, we keep Stella and Chewys on hand here always...when my pickies decide to go on strike they will always eat S & C's, although they prefer it dry vs reconstituted...guess it's a throw back to their kibble days

You can buy it in a 12 oz bag, which is more economical that $1.99 per .8 oz ('course, it depends on how much they charge you for the 12 oz bag).  Some folks around here can get those smaller bags for $1.59, but I've never found them for less than $1.99, and one store charges $3.49 per bag

Anyway, I'm anxious to hear how all your furkids like whatever new stuff you end up with

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great news!!!!
  I was worried when I first started Angel as well, because of transitioning stories from other members, but he also took right to it!

He also licks his bowl clean. I say, "oh, thank you for helping mommy wash the bowl.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great news!  Yes, we keep Stella and Chewys on hand here always...when my pickies decide to go on strike they will always eat S & C's, although they prefer it dry vs reconstituted...guess it's a throw back to their kibble days

You can buy it in a 12 oz bag, which is more economical that $1.99 per .8 oz ('course, it depends on how much they charge you for the 12 oz bag).  Some folks around here can get those smaller bags for $1.59, but I've never found them for less than $1.99, and one store charges $3.49 per bag

Anyway, I'm anxious to hear how all your furkids like whatever new stuff you end up with
I just got back from my shopping spree.  I decided to not experiment for now and am going with what they like and will eat.  I got two of the 12 oz Stella and Chewy's Tummy Ticklin Turkey for Cricket, $24.99 per bag, and four 16 oz tubs of Rad Cat kitten crack in turkey and lamb, and a 24 oz tub of chicken.  Thankfully they accepted the return on the other food.  I only have maybe a cup of the kibble left. so we are nearly kibble free on day 2

Tonite I'm trying the lamb, it's defrosting now.  I fed the last of the Stella and Chewy's small packages at noon. 

Does anyone else find the Stella and Chewy's to smell kind of disgusting?   It's setting off some gag reflexes in me,  and when I came home I swear I could still smell it, and all the dishes had been washed and put away.  That is one strong smelling food, but if Cricket will eat it I guess I can hold my nose
  The kittens really do prefer the kitty crack, but they won't turn their noses up at the S & C either.

Oh, and I also got some Cat-Man-Doo Bonito flakes in case Cricket needs more coaxing with a topper

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Angels mommy  

He also licks his bowl clean. I say, "oh, thank you for helping mommy wash the bowl.

I LOVE that part of it, no more stuck on bits to scrub off. I don't have a dishwasher
  The litterbox doesn't smell when they do their #2 either!  I scoop throught the day because their 2 litterboxes are in my tiny bathroom, and there is already like half the poop as before.