Starting Cold Turkey

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never used jerky treats because there's been such an issue, so sorry, I don't know. Maybe google the brand you purchased and look for reviews/consumer reports, that kind of thing? I always just use freeze dried meat or liver. In fact, I use Whole Life, Etta Says, or Stewart's Pro-Treat (Gimborn) only.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never used jerky treats because there's been such an issue, so sorry, I don't know. Maybe google the brand you purchased and look for reviews/consumer reports, that kind of thing? I always just use freeze dried meat or liver. In fact, I use Whole Life, Etta Says, or Stewart's Pro-Treat (Gimborn) only.
When I went back today to pick up my case of Rad Cat, the owner assured me they have double checked into everything they carry.  They did pull one brand some time ago due to this issue, so I feel better about the jerky I have.

So happy I found Dogma.  I got a case of 12 24oz tubs for $146.43 including tax.  My cats are now eating 32oz per day total.  So if I am doing my math correctly I am spending around $6 per day for all three cats.  So when I break it down it comes to around $2 per day per cat, which does add up but is not an unreasonable amount either.  The owner pointed out his three black labs who are all fed raw.  To put things in perspective, he said his three dogs eat 10 lbs of raw food per day! Yikes!

I feel I have finally found a good reliable source for Rad Cat with super friendly service.  And my sealed case had no meals taken out of any of the tubs.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We like good customer service, and Rad Cat tubs with no missing scoops of food!
It just occurred to me that we haven't posted any pictures or cool emoticons lately....anyone care to share?   Did some one mention scoop

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mazy gave me a nice furry poop this morning. I didn't take a picture though but I did thank her kindly for her efforts.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mazy gave me a nice furry poop this morning. I didn't take a picture though but I did thank her kindly for her efforts.
Well at least you didn't let it go unnoticed. 
, that's the most important thing!   I am noticing the poops are much smaller, but there seems to be bigger pee chunks, and they are drinking very little water.  I have a circulating fountain so I check the water level often, and I haven't had to add water, really almost no water between cleanings.  Is that ok?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cats are completely raw? Most likely they are getting sufficient moisture from their food. My cats, combination of canned and raw fed, never drink water. There is a bowl always available, freshened twice a day. But no one ever drinks from it. They pee three times a day. :)

I am not getting the small low odor fur shell poops, because they are still partially can fed, but even in their can-fed poops, I do see the fur in them.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your cats are completely raw? Most likely they are getting sufficient moisture from their food. My cats, combination of canned and raw fed, never drink water. There is a bowl always available, freshened twice a day. But no one ever drinks from it. They pee three times a day.

I am not getting the small low odor fur shell poops, because they are still partially can fed, but even in their can-fed poops, I do see the fur in them.
Yes, completely now for a few weeks, once Cricket got on board he was hooked as well.  Right now it is almost completely Rad Cat, with Stellas for variety. 

Cricket and Toby
 were always huge water drinkers, they even hung around the water fountain sharing gossip.  Now I got this cool fountain and none of em even use it anymore.  I also have a plain bowl of water out.

Oh, I forgot about the no odor poops.  There is no odor anymore.  Clancy used to have some of the stinkiest poop ever, It would smell up the whole house.  That is gone
 and was an unexpected benefit.

I really did almost disect a few days ago, just to see.  If I do I will post a pic.  Check in again around supper time.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yep, almost all the raw feeders say there is really no need for water, but, naturally, we all provide it anyway

My girl, Callie, however, still drinks it.  She loves it!  I think she prefers drinking to eating.  Maybe it's a comfort thing
.  She used to drink out of the bathroom faucet until we got our fountain, now she prefers that.  And she just got her senior blood work done, and everything was AOK, so we're not looking at possible diabetes or kidney disease or anything like that.  She just loves her water.  (and she likes her raw food to be extra moist too).  Must be 'cause it's so dry here in the desert...who knows.  Doesn't affect "the boys" that way. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, I still provide several bowls of water. Tuxie and Spooky still occasionally drink some. As I provide them bottled water, I'm only filling the dishes half way full now. :lol3:

I thought I was going to save on litter when switching to raw (smaller, less frequent poop). I did not figure in the larger amount of pee though. :lol3:

As to emoticons.... even though it is dinner time, instead of posting scoop or poop related stuff, because it's Thanksgiving tomorrow in the US, how about some holiday themed ones for our little carnivores?

(Sorry, couldn't find any emoticons with RAW turkey! :lol3: )

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep, I still provide several bowls of water. Tuxie and Spooky still occasionally drink some. As I provide them bottled water, I'm only filling the dishes half way full now.

I thought I was going to save on litter when switching to raw (smaller, less frequent poop). I did not figure in the larger amount of pee though.

As to emoticons.... even though it is dinner time, instead of posting scoop or poop related stuff, because it's Thanksgiving tomorrow in the US, how about some holiday themed ones for our little carnivores?

(Sorry, couldn't find any emoticons with RAW turkey!
)
Oh thank you so much, I love it
  Where do you guys get these? 

So it isn't just me with the pee!  I am scooping big clumps, and wondered if I needed to have Cricket's kidney values re-checked.  And now I can even afford giving them bottled water

Happy Thankgiving!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The funny thing about the amount of pee from ALL of them is that they were eating 100% canned food for more than a year before the switch to raw! So I guess raw has even more moisture in it than wet? Although now that I think of it... I used to mix water into their canned.

:dk: :scratch:

No clue why... but there you have it. More pee is normal on raw. :lol3:

As to the emoticons... I have a "library" of them bookmarked - just collected over the years. Sometimes I'll spend an hour or so searching for new ones, just using the image search function and combinations of search terms. :)

But for ones here you like, just right click on them, save the image to your computer - then all you need to do is upload the image when you want to use it. They're such smile files they upload quickly. :)

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The funny thing about the amount of pee from ALL of them is that they were eating 100% canned food for more than a year before the switch to raw! So I guess raw has even more moisture in it than wet? Although now that I think of it... I used to mix water into their canned.

No clue why... but there you have it. More pee is normal on raw.
Seriously, the amount of pee is very similar to when Toby Tyler
 was on sub-q fluids every other day for CKD.  A huge amount of pee!  Whew, now I feel better, I really was starting to worry but Cricket's kidney panel is smack in the middle which is great for a 13 yo (now going on 7) 

You should see how shiny his coat is, I was just thinking that this morning.  I will try to get a picture, but it's incredible the difference in his coat in just a few weeks time. 

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah - the changes happen FAST.
And sooooooo silky too, right? It's hard to keep our hands off of them!
Actually, the vet tech kept saying that over and over again (seriously) at Rufus' last visit a little over a week ago

jordann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just curious as to how your boys are doing on the raw, and what you are feeding now. Still RC with S&C for variety with the chicken wing mixed in, or are you making your own? The prey model raw sounds interesting and I love love the idea of going to an Asian market .... We have some Asian stores with lots of fresh meats around here. Will have to get in to check prices. (I see advertisements all the time for foods)

Thanks for the laughs! I am so jealous of how fast your kiddos took to raw, TobyTyler!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just read this entire thread. So hilarious. Educational too, especially about the poop and the pee.

TobyTyler, thanks for that info on Untamed. I live in CO as well. I can't wait to see what their raw cat food line will look like.