Starting as we mean to go on - installing good habits in kittens

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I have always done when moving litter boxes is to move them only a foot or two every couple days. If moving a box downstairs, you continue to move the box until it is at the top of the stairs and then place a box at the bottom preferably within view before the final move of the upstairs box down. But I would not try to get a kitten to use just a basement box. When they have to go they have to go and most can’t or won’t go that far away. Waiting until they are nearly grown is a better idea.
They are 4 months and already wait in line at times. If one is in the box in my room, the other will stand there and wait their turn instead of going downstairs. Or they just go at the same time and hope they don't step in the others waste.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Not Jackson Galaxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in the UK and two storey homes are common, we don't have a basement. The ground floor has kitchen, living room, dining room. Upstairs has bedrooms and bathrooms.

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As for scratchers, I demonstrate for her. She will usually copy me and give them a scratch or two. The cardboard floor ones she really likes, but not many others. She scratched the upright ones once with each paw, to show she understood, and then never touched them again.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
For scratchers I would buy a couple of types and see what they like. I have one cat who absolutely loves a corrugated cardboard scratcher, the base and cylinder are cardboard.
Then another really likes horizontal scratching.
I have vertical posts and horizontal scratchers in both carpet and cardboard. And a couple of sisal ones. They pretty much knew how to scratch. And cat towers- I have 4 cats and a total of 4 cat towers between main and lower level.
With claw trimming I don't make a big deal out of it, none of them like it and two of my cats I can't do it at all, so I will just trim a couple of claws at a time to make it easier on all of us- it's short and sweet and they don't have to build up a lot of resistance as would happen with trimming all claws at once on one cat. Then give a treat.
I agree I just have to accept my furniture will get scratched. But I have a scratching posts at the corners of my couch and chair (that's all I have in the living room) and they use those 99% of the time. If you have a lot of furniture that means a lot of scratchers- I'm more minimalist.
Mooshoo (who is 2 years old) used to do Olympic sports on my bed at night when I first got her. And she would gather up and bring her toys on to the bed and pounce on them. I had to rear up and say "stop!" to get her to stop- ignoring did no good. With the toys I just grabbed them and stuck them under my pillow- she didn't pursue getting them out from the pillow. She did eventually learn that when lights are out and it's dark time to be quiet. I can imagine with 2 kittens!! :dancingblackcat: :lol:
Post pictures!! Life will be a blast.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I would add to what's been said is to get them used to having their teeth brushed. You can pick up a Petrodex Dental Care Kit for cats on Amazon for under ten bucks. I brush my cats' teeth every single day and my vet says it's one of the very best things you can do for your cat's overall health. It's right up there with diet. As kittens, Atticus and Thirteen were just insanely easy going about brushing. It's MUCH easier to start them as kittens than as adult cats.

When you get your kittens you know you have to post LOTS of pictures, right? It's our fee for all this spectacular advice. 😊

Not Jackson Galaxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds reasonable! I think you wouldn't be able to stop me even if you wanted to :lol: Thank you for your wonderful advice.

I bought toothpaste/toothbrush as it was recommended in the article linked above. I've never heard of brushing your cats teeth before though!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The gums provide a direct path to the bloodstream. When tartar begins to accumulate on teeth it signifies the growth of bacteria. Just as in humans, oral health is incredibly important in pets.

You're gonna make an AWESOME to those kittens. They're lucky to have you!

Not Jackson Galaxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, that means a lot. I felt so sorry for my cat that she was hurting and dying and I didn't know. She made out like she was fine until the day she died. I feel guilty for that.