Stains On Cats Bum, Need To Be Cleaned Or Left Alone?

pecha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I have a maine coon tabby mix and I recently got her shaved because she had some pretty bad knots and tangles all over her body and poop stuck in her bum fur. While her hair grows back, I'm taking better care of the condition of her bum and fur than I did before. (gently combing everyday, trimming bum fur every week, ect.) I recently noticed that her bottom is already looking a bit dirty. I carefully checked her out and it looks like the fur is just stained, there's no actual poop stuck. Should I be wiping her with a warm towel or just letting her clean it herself? And is this possibly something to do with her diet? (she gets fed PC Nutrition First Weight & Hairball Control)

Picture of said bum if anyone needs it lol:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can use wet paper towel or wash cloth to clean there as needed. Some cats aren't very good at cleaning under their and may need a little help.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello pecha, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Your kitty bum looks ok to me.

After every poop, she should clean her bum by herself. Unless she has leaky poop, you can help wipe her bum gently with a warm moist towel. But sometimes even with normal poo, some will still be on her bum and you can clean it up for her too.

So it's up to you, I know some will clean their kitty's bum each time they poo.

There you have it, as I was typing the reply, LTS3 has already replied you :wink:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is her poop too runny? Sometimes hairball foods can cause loose poop if fed everyday.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I would clean it. Poop really irritates the skin, if it stays on.