Sphynx upcoming litter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Neko, what we're doing with the newborns is putting them with Oreo to nurse on her. I called the vet college and asked about the concentration of antibodies passed in the milk and the vet said it's the same amount of immunity/antibodies will be passed in the milk produced after the initial colustrum is excreted.

Since Oreo is the same blood type as Monty, our stud, it will be safe. After 24 hrs, they can go back to mom, but we're gonna do it longer just to be on the safe side. After 24 hrs the kitten gut closes to the absorption of the antibodies, so even when suckling the colostrum that will be there in Maddie, it won't harm them in any way. This is a situation many breeders face until they no longer allow breeding with the incompatible blood types and replace the breeders. We are pretty sure we're getting a new male who is a B blood type, and then he can breed both A and B queens. We will fix Monty when the new stud is close to maturity. We want to show the new stud, and get him a minimum of Champion. Monty will not be sold to a new home just because he doesn't have the blood type necessary to match our girls. He is beloved within our family and we won't part with him. We are probably keeping a couple kittens from Maddie or Molly or both for our breeding program, and with a new male, there won't be any line breeding or inbreeding.

I now have two more litters after Maddie's and those are Molly and my Bonnie. Bonnie is a Sphynx/Devon cross, and Oreo is her baby. Since Oreo only has 25% sphynx in her, I was shocked to see two sphynx in her litter. Bonnie is 50% sphynx so there is a higher percentage of sphynx genes that can match with Monty. She may have a full sphynx litter. It all depends.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooooh I am so excited for you and so flippin jealous!!! I can't wait toi see piccies of these beautiful babies, I hope all goes well, keep us updated. x

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ruthy, yeah it's certainly a fun time around here. Excitement is not really even the word to describe my feelings. I live for babies and love every minute of raising them, teaching them, socializing them, and of course cuddling them. Hubby just woke me up with all three huddled together on my neck LOL It is the best feeling

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, no babies yesterday or last night. She is 64 days today though, so fingers crossed it's today sometime. We have a cat tunnel and she is right now inside of it and did the same last night. Hubby thinks that's where she wants to have her babies LOL. I haven't seen her do anything else that is close to nesting, but this is not her normal behaviour. She also was on my computer desk last night and curled up and went to sleep, something she has NEVER done.

So we'll see. Going to my MRI appt now, so we'll be back in a couple hourse. We don't anticipate kittens before then.

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't wait to see pictures of the newborns. I have always wanted a sphynx. They are such beautiful cats. And I especially love the nekkid little ones.
I wish I could get one.

On your MRI. My husband just got the results from his MRI and it points to MS as well.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, no babies last night either. I'm not happy about her not having them yet, today is day 65. She's been more attracted to her bottom, cleaning down there often this morning. Hubby thinks they're coming today.

I normally go back to bed in the morning till lunchtime, but I'm taking a new medication to help me stay awake. It DOES work, but only if I have had a good night's sleep the night before. I am going to push through and do my chores. Have lots to do, trying to catch up on stuff that needs attention. I've been plagued by fatique for 3 long years and with us moving to the new house already 2 years ago, I still haven't done what I want.

Peachy, I don't know how old your hubby is, but I turned 40 a couple months after I was diagnosed. I have been, in my mind, a sad state for a long time, never knew why. I thought I was going crazy LOL My mother-in-law told me she thought I was just lazy!!!! Now at least, my dr. hears me a little better and she now knows that my complaints were legit, and I'm not a hypochondriac. My neuro said I've probably had it for over 20 years. It would make sense!!!

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok guys, the time has arrived!!! Maddie started off with her water breaking right at supper time. She has had the four now we knew about for sure, and I think she's done. I'm in my bedroom with them and Maddie, and we'll be deciding where we will keep them. All four kittens are different and all gorgeous. I will start a new thread with pics.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by skewch

Neko, what we're doing with the newborns is putting them with Oreo to nurse on her. I called the vet college and asked about the concentration of antibodies passed in the milk and the vet said it's the same amount of immunity/antibodies will be passed in the milk produced after the initial colustrum is excreted.
I'm confused now. I was told the antibody protection is only present in the first 36-48 hours of milk flow (colostrum or "first milk") and all the info I can find says that too.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Neko, the kitten gut closes at 24hrs of age. After that, they don't absorb the antibodies that are present in the mom and passed through the colustrum. If the kittens can nurse on another mother no matter how long ago she had her own kittens (provided she is still nursing and producing milk), the antibodies are still passed through the milk but canonly be absorbed in that first 24hrs of life.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did I not post piccies of Maddie's babies here???? I could have sworn I did.

I will wait for someone to correct me before I post some.