Spaying My 2 Feral Ladies... Yikes!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People are more inclined to write about surgeries that went wrong than the ones that didn't. That means when you're reading the stories you're getting a skewed perspective of how it goes.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is the kitty doing today?
I wanted to explain that my cat Mia had a spay surgery that didn't go well and resulted in temporary organ failure due to anesthesia because she was not in good health when I trapped her and had her spayed. I didn't have pre-surgical blood work done, so I didn't know she was severely anemic. She was not healthy enough for the surgery, and because she was in heat at the time, she had excess bleeding. The anesthesia and surgery, combined with the vaccinations and medications for fleas and parasites, was too much for her system. I nursed her back to health and recovery took about a month, but she was fine afterwards. Normally, if a cat is in good health prior to the surgery, there shouldn't be any complications. If there was a problem, you would know it within a few days. I also don't think it's that easy for a cat to open her incisions. As I mentioned, my cat Cupcake jumped a 3 foot baby gate and ran down the stairs 2 days after her spay surgery and was fine. She had been pregnant at the time, so her recovery took a little longer and she went through a sort of depression due to hormonal changes. But she did not open her incision. Hopefully you will give us an update soon and tell us how great your kitty is doing :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all!! Thank you so much for your concern and support!! Miss Kitty seems to be doing well, her mood is good, very affectionate. She's still eating great, using the litterbox, and unfortunately jumping on and off her sleeping perch. The incision looks good, not red, oozing etc. I'm off to work tomorrow so she won't have me hovering over her!!! I will still worry, that's what I do, but with everyone's help I'm feeling better about everything. :)

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!! Thanks for asking, she seems to be doing well. I freaked out a bit going to work yesterday, but she survived. Since she's semi feral i cant just pick her up and look at her incision i have to wait until she is in the mood. I didnt get a good look at it yesterday but this morning she rolled over onto her back. I think it looks good, no redness, gaping, oozing...

I am still worried because shes been jumping to her window perch to sleep several times a day, hope it hasnt done any internal damage. Its a week tomorrow, days are dragging!

Question for you - yesterday she wanted to play with a her big catnip banana, kicking and rolling around. Do you think thats ok?

I really appreciate everyone!!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's been almost a week, she can play and jump on her perch. I have never heard of a cat getting internal damage after being spayed, except if they have a bad reaction to the anesthesia, as was the case with my one cat. If she was in pain or had an infection, she wouldn't be playing with her toys.

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Heres my back story, i should have explained sooner.. 30 years ago my parents didnt spay my small dog. When she was about 10 the she got some kind of infection and she had to have a hysterectomy. As soon as she got back home from having her stitches removed the incision opened. We rushed her back for emergency repair, it had a happy ending and she lived many more years, but that image has stayed with me!! I know it doesn't compare to the modern spay of a healthy cat, but fhere it is.

I'll make sure she gets all the playtime she w as nts tonite!!

Thanks!!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel I have to drop in a few words of caution..........

msaimee's last post above had me cringe a little, but I didn't post. I do now.

Despite all her jumping so far, all seems well. I'm going to suggest you thank your lucky stars for that. Instead of saying 'It's been almost a week'..... I'll say
It hasn't even been a week....and, we know that the well-accepted rule-of-thumb post-spay is to restrain the cat as much as possible for the first ten days.....
Perhaps she would be OK with a return to normal activity....perhaps she wouldn't. I don't know. msaimee doesn't know. You don't know. Anyone who spends time in the Health forum here will know that one of the recurring issues.......is of spays gone sideways.

What we all know is that the chances of an 'adverse' outcome are enhanced by high activity levels...........why risk it?

There are times (most times) when a conservative approach is wisest.

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
I definitely appreciate and thank everyone for their comments! I am trying to do the best for my cats. So can someone comment on how to keep them from playing, jumping, etc. Bear in mind they are a semi feral mother and kitten who will be inside 2 months Christmas. I only have 1 cat safe room prepared and have to work fulltime.

I'll be doing this again in March when Tortellini gets spayed.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best you can do, short of putting them in a dog kennel which has it's own problems - arms getting caught in the openings, escape attempts, chewing on the wires to escape, especially a mother with kit - is to try to either remove all tall objects like bookcase, beds etc. Or if you have a normal size house with no storage area, make stairs to the higher pieces of furniture - the one step kitchen step stool - like these or something in between these two are from Home Depot at $12 - 16. Dollar stores might have better prices and still be sturdy.

upload_2018-12-18_15-53-10.png

Or you can make stairs with the furniture or cushions your already have.

Attachments

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you're doing great! It's amazing what you've done with and for these two little ones.

All I was trying to say was.....keep doing what you were doing - and that was tolerating her behaviour but not suggesting/encouraging 'rambunctious' activity. That's pretty much all you can do, short of crating her (which doesn't appear necessary).

(msaimee (to me) appeared to give the "all clear".....to which you said you'll 'give her all the playtime she wants'............and, all I wanted to do was to waive the amber caution flag!)

So, keep on keepin' on !

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to know, white shadow, my suggestions were from when we were dealing with
arthritis. I thought the steps would give the ladies an alternative to jumping if the stretch was uncomfortable.

Keeping the dog on crate rest was hard enough, cats...Just reading those posts is intimidating.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
white shadow white shadow , my post really made you cringe? Wow. Nowhere did I suggest that the OP should encourage rambunctious play with her cat. I wasn't suggesting she engage her with a laser toy or wand toy or horseplay. From her description, her cat is jumping on her perch, and kicking a banana toy around. I did not interpret that as over- activity or rambunctious play. Most female cats who have not had a complicated spay surgery are able to do these things after a week, at least, that has been my experience, perhaps others have had different experiences. I was just trying to encourage the OP not to worry and stress too much. I think it's a great sign when a cat has returned to almost normal behavior after a spay surgery. I also advised earlier in this thread that if she had any concerns, to take the cat to the vet for a post-surgical exam. Those are almost always either free and included as part of the spay process, or low-cost. I hope that helps to clarify things :) I also want to point out that with the TNR process, cats are usually returned outside after 48 hours, and know what to do to take care of themselves and survive. Cats have a good sense of what they can and cannot do, both when they're out on their own, and when they are safe inside. Again, that is by way of encouragement, I am not trying to have an irresponsible attitude about it. A few weeks ago I was pleading with someone who planned on releasing their TNR female cat the same day of spay surgery not to do it, to wait at least 48 hours. So I do take this subject seriously.

Last edited:

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! Im back requesting more advice. I took Miss Kitty to the vet for her follow up today. The good news is that all is well!! The bad news is that now she wont let me near her. I had to pick her up and put her in the carrier to go, she wet herself from fear, then the vet poked her. Now shes a hissing terror. She's in the cat room, bathing. I was able to touch her once, and she ate a treat out of my hand. Advice??? My husband says leave her alone for awhile. I feel terrible!! Will i get her trust back???

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be patient. Even the most docile, cuddly cats sometimes react this way to vet trips. I believe they think you've lost your mind to take them there. They need a few hours or days to realize that, whatever else, you are now sane and safe to be around.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have any Feliway spray? Most likely she will calm down on her own within a day or two. When I have had to take my feral boys to the vet, they have to be given a sedative to even get to the vet. They usually hide for 1-2 days and don't want much to eat after returning home. Yet with time and patience they come out of their shell again.

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the diffuser in their room, but not the spray. I'll pick some up. I feel so bad!! I hope all the progress made over the last 2 months isn't ruined! It was going so well, she is so playful and loving now..
:(

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KrisinOhio, I wouldn't even see this as a setback...at all. It really is a very common reaction after this kind of 'interruption' in her process.

I keep in touch with most of these stories/threads and I'm almost sure it was yesterday or the day before when I read of an almost identical incident....and the followup was that the cat settled back into her previous 'mode' within a really short time. And, these stories are very common.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was just remembering when I took my two new cats, one semi-feral female and one stray male, to the vet for the very first time. I fed them treats in carriers outside for a while, then closed the carrier doors the day of the appointment. The semi-feral cat was so scared and wild, the vet had to sedate her.

When we came home to their safe room (first time inside!), it took over a day and a half for her to stop hiding and to eat anything. I was so worried. Then, suddenly, she seemed like a new cat! She came out of hiding, was excited to eat, and let me pet her, which is still extremely rare! I think the trauma of the vet visit with the shots and so forth really took a toll both emotionally and physically on them.... well, on me, too!

I wouldn't worry about Miss Kitty. She ate a treat out of your hand!! That's super! I would bet that within a day or so, things will be back to normal, maybe even better!

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all for your support and advice, again!! I just fed the kitties, both ate with me in the room and Miss Kitty arched her back and raised her tail for a pet! Maybe she'll forgive me after all! This site and you members are a godsend. I hope in time i can help someone like you all have helped me!! My journey is just beginning with these kitties, it's only been 2 months