Spaying My 2 Feral Ladies... Yikes!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is upset by all that is going on, and now her mama is missing! she'll be fine. but she may have trouble recognizing her mama at first when she comes back because she will smell so different.But that will pass. Tortellini may be irritable too for a day or two. Just remain as calm as you can and time will take care of the rest!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A 'trick' I use - and, it's been 100% effective here - is to dip the tip of my finger in vanilla extract and then just touch each cat with that finger in the nape of the neck, just where the spot-on treatments go. It will be a completely new smell that totally befuddles the cats, and the looks on their faces will leave you ROFLOL.

This works best when the vanilla's applied before the returning cat meets the other(s).

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be concerned about the mama cat and her kitten being befuddled by the vanilla axtract scent, they will already be stressed. Also, pure vanilla extract has a high alcohol content, which is toxic to cats if one were to groom the other. Honestly, rubbing them down good with a warm, moist towel removes the vet smells, I don't think anything with chemicals is needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I'm bedding down with the cats in their room tonite. Miss Kitty is home. The reunion with Tortellini was smooth, no issues!! Miss Kitty was her normal self after she came out of the carrier. And what has she been doing since she came home? Jumping on and off her favorite perch! Im trying to keep her calm and on the floor but that is agitating her, and she starts to lick her incision. What to do? Play cat herder and chase her all night or let her jump a couple times until she gets to her favorite sleeping perch? She is fast asleep right now, on the window perch. Hopefully she'll be ok, my nerves are shot and my husband is irritable!!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm happy to hear the spay surgery went home and that she's making a smooth transition back home! I wouldn't play cat herder anymore at this point. It's been three days since her spay, she should be okay. The last feral kitty I had spayed, I took her home the day after her spay and placed her in a safe room with the door closed and a baby gate in the doorway. Somehow--and I don't know how this is possible --when I was downstairs, she pried the door open with her paws and jumped the baby gate and ran downstairs, where she stayed on a chair for hours. Cats are pretty resilient! Your kitty is also probably just trying to groom herself. As long as the area doesn't begin to look red, swollen, or infected she should be okay.

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all and good morning! Spending the night with the cats was nice, but im looking forward to my own bed! Everything went well, Miss Kittys incision is looking good, despite jumping off and on her perch many times. She's up there now, sleeping. Im going to follow msaimee's advice and back off. Perhaps do some online Christmas shopping!

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry... I keep reading spay recovery horror stories, infections, incision opening... Miss Kitty has been sleeping on her window perch all morning, she seems fine. I'm watching her on a camera in her room. I'm just over-thinking everything and reading too many bad experience stories. I feel like I can't take my eyes off her "in case". So, experienced cat guardians, help!! When can I relax, when will she be out of the woods and how vigilant do I have to be? The perch jumping has me freaked out!!!

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, but only 2 doses, for last night and this morning.

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Buprenex HCI, there were 2 x 1.38 syringes. The instructions are give 1 syringe every 12 hours. The first was last night, and this morning

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, I don't understand the "1.38 syringes" part........."usually" it's supplied in 1ml syringes like this

So, by "1.38", do you mean a point on the syringe approximately halfway between the 1 & 2 ?

Now, Buprenex (buprenorphine) 'works' only when it is absorbed by the gum and mouth tissues - it does nothing if it's swallowed.

Are you putting it into the side of her mouth between the gums and the side of the mouth?

Do you know if she was given any other pain med at the clinic?

Post-spay pain control is generally required for a few days afterwards, because it's very invasive surgery. The low-cost spay-neuter clinics are somehow managing to get away with very low-grade pain management, seemingly a single day's coverage. Was she 'done' at your own Vet's or at a low-cost clinic?

Of course, her behaviour will tell whether/not she's uncomfortable.....you said she's moving around (!) - is she eating like before?

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was spayed at my vet, was kept for 2 nights and received pain meds there as well. I got the meds on her gums as best as I could. Her appetite and demeanor are normal. Other than appearing tired (who wouldnt?) she seems fine. I'm worried because her favorite spot is a windowsill perch she has to jump off and on and it's only been 3 days

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most of the time spay incisions heal fine. As for the timeline, it does take a bit of time for infection to set in, but again, most of the time things go perfectly fine.

The below article has more info, plus includes pics of normal and infected spay incisions that you can look at for reference. And, of course, if you suspect anything isn't healing right, do contact your vet.

Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it sounds like all is well. Your tip-off to discomfort is likely to be hiding, a change from moving around to being statuesque, not eating or licking her incision.

The pictures in the article rubysmama provided will give you a good idea of what to look out for.

Meantime......we're just craving for pictures!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been three and a half days from her spay surgery? She has a good appetite and is moving around normally? Using the litter box? She is fine. Unless there's an infection, there's usually no need for pain meds after three days. Stop reading horror stories on the internet. If she shows any signs of problems, you can get her a post-surgical check-up appointment at your vet clinic. Most vet clinics don't charge or only minimally charge for surgical follow-up appointments. But it doesn't sound like she'll need it.

Did your vet mention if she was pregnant when she was spayed? Sometimes recovery can take a little longer if the cat was pregnant.

Sometimes our stress level can stress our cats. Maybe you could do something fun tomorrow for a few hours and relax? All of that worrying isn't good for you or the cats (and I know because I tend to worry, too). Many people who TNR release female cats 48 hours after surgery, and they do fine outside on their own. Your kitty is warm and dry and safe. She may be a little dopey from the pain meds, but by the end of the weekend she should be back to herself. The worst is over, relax :)