Spaying A Cat With Brain Damage

JAG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 6 month old female kitten who was abandoned by her mother, we found her in our yard, twitching and took her in. She was about 6 weeks old, weighed only .8 of a pound and we could feel every bone. Vet dewormed her told us how to take care of her. A week later she had a seizure; brought her to vet, temp was 104; suspected an infection gave antibiotics but a few days later she had another seizure; different antibiotic worked. However she still has the twitching that is constant even when sleeping. 2 weeks ago we took her to a different vet that we knew could spay her. We also wanted a good check up to make sure she's doing okay, given her rough start. They did blood work and all organs are functioning as expected and all is ok. BUT she said they wouldn't feel comfortable putting her under for surgery as it may complicate her brain damage, make it worse. She said the anesthesia that is used affects the brain. We are so disappointed. We already had decided she'd be a inside cat, but would feel better about her future if she was spayed.
I am looking for other options for spay surgery. We're going back for second dose of a vaccination and will ask if they would do some research on other ways; maybe a "block" or a different kind of sedative?
I'll come back and let you know what they have to say. We adore our little damaged baby. She is clumsy......

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

JAG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our little girl Blue also has brain damage due to malnutrition, high temperature for 2 weeks & seizures due to high temperature. We had a full blood work up and that showed that all is ok internally. She has full body hiccup like twitching that is constant. That vet said she wouldn't spay her because the anesthesia they use affects the brain and it could cause death.
The posts in this thread make me wonder if there might be alternative ways to sedate her. She's 7 months, and might be going into heat.
Thanks to everyone who chimed in on that thread with ideas. Here in Minnesota there is a vet school about 4 hours away........
Lots to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise