Spayed Cat, is she healing okay?

colbyraye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got Marble spayed this past Monday the 24th, it’s currently the 28th as I’m typing this. I just checked her incision and noticed it looks a little red, and then I noticed a lump next to it. The lump is hard, it almost feels like a stitch? Is that normal? If anyone knows what the incision should look like around the 4th/5th day of spaying, please let me know if this is something I should be worried about! It also could be the way she’s laying (the lump) but I haven’t checked yet since she’s sleeping.

Attachments

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got Marble spayed this past Monday the 24th, it’s currently the 28th as I’m typing this. I just checked her incision and noticed it looks a little red, and then I noticed a lump next to it. The lump is hard, it almost feels like a stitch? Is that normal? If anyone knows what the incision should look like around the 4th/5th day of spaying, please let me know if this is something I should be worried about! It also could be the way she’s laying (the lump) but I haven’t checked yet since she’s sleeping.
I don't think it looks too bad. Looks like the redness might be dry blood. I think if infection was setting in, the whole area around the incision would be red and it may show some pus which I don't see.

Mslady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The incision site looks very normal to me. It doesn't look infected. (I've had a few dozen cats and dogs spayed). It can be hard to see everything in a picture but from what I can see it looks fine for a 4-5 days post-op.
As far as the bump goes what you may be feeling could be an internal stitch or scabbing. If you feel that something is likely wrong though it doesn't hurt to have her looked at. The vet shouldn't charge for that.
What you want to look for is swelling, the area feeling warm, pus, or your kitty acting sick. You can check her temp to see if it's elevated which could be a sign of infection. You don't want to mess with the incision site too much though. It's best to leave it alone as much as possible..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

colbyraye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The incision site looks very normal to me. It doesn't look infected. (I've had a few dozen cats and dogs spayed). It can be hard to see everything in a picture but from what I can see it looks fine for a 4-5 days post-op.
As far as the bump goes what you may be feeling could be an internal stitch or scabbing. If you feel that something is likely wrong though it doesn't hurt to have her looked at. The vet shouldn't charge for that.
What you want to look for is swelling, the area feeling warm, pus, or your kitty acting sick. You can check her temp to see if it's elevated which could be a sign of infection. You don't want to mess with the incision site too much though. It's best to leave it alone as much as possible..
Thank you so much, I was getting a little worried. She’s as spunky as ever, a little mad because we’ve been keeping her away from her brother Rocky since they get kind of riled up with playing. Thank you for your response! She’s still snoozing, so I haven’t been able to investigate the lump any further. I’ve been keeping an eye on it as much as she will let me, and I haven’t noticed any swelling. I’m keeping my nose out for that “infection” smell too, but nothing of the sort has come up yet. Thanks again!