Spayed Cat - Infected Or Not?

Mabo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My cat was spayed last Friday (5days ago). She managed to remove a stitch 2 days ago and there was some blood on the wound. I took her to the vet yesterday, the vet rubbed a cream on top and said there was nothing to worry about. Today there is more blood, nothing leaking or dripping. Just red blood dried around the wound. I am very worried and do not trust my vet - we don’t have many vets here in Turkey.

I’ve attached a picture - is she healing ok?

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is. So long as there is no serious bleeding (a few drops aren't unusual, yellowish/greenish discharge, or serious swelling, your girl is doing well! Hang in there! She will heal faster than you think!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mabo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahhh I guess I am just keen to panic! I'm just so nervous. Once the stitches are removed I will calm down :)

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can only tell you that in my experience a little bleeding after surgery/stitches has been normal. Hopefully, your baby is healing just fine.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't blame you. Spaying is not so routine in Turkey that most people just kinda expect that they will spay or neuter their animals, both cats and dogs. It is so common here that we do it almost without thinking twice. Feral cats are often trapped, neutered and returned to their colonies withing 12-16 hours, and almost EVERYONE of them does very well. But if it isn't an ingrained part of the culture you live in, it can feel far, far scarier than it really is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mabo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes! Here everyone has been criticising me for getting Mushky spayed! They think its cruel, unnatural and unfair for the cat. I cannot convince them otherwise. I am very happy - Her wound is closing up! It looks much better today and ore a light pink then red :) I am over the moon.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tell them that spaying cats protects them from several hormone-driven cancers, and that spayed cats live longer, healthier lives than non-spayed cats. Both are true.