Spay Time

chimo2u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girlie is thought to have been born sometime mid July, so we think she’s about 15/16 weeks old now. Her spay appointment is tomorrow and I’m beginning to worry a bit. I do have a spare bedroom I can keep her in need be, I’ll just take her scratching post out so she doesn’t get tempted to jump. She loves sleeping in my bed with me, I’m worried though as she needs to jump up to get into it. Will she be ok if she jumps from say floor to bed or floor to couch height? I have a cat onesie made for after surgery so I can forgo the cone of shame. I have 10 days until I need to go back to work, so I am hopeful she’s well on her way to recovery by then. Please calm my nerves, she’s so little (approximately 4 lbs now if I had to guess) I just want her to get through this with flying colours as stress free as possible

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kittens are incredibly resilient and she will likely be bouncing off the walls again in no time. This was my girl within 72 hours of her spay

https://thecatsite.com/media/20150911_192756-2.420581/

Just remember that it can take 24-72 hours for the surgery meds to work their way out. Some cats are hissy or grumpy during that time. Most cats will be a little wobbly for the first 24 hours and very sleepy. Wet food is ideal because it's easier to lap up and more moisture which helps keep her hydrated and will help the medications work their way out of her system quicker. You might want to grab some meat based baby food (stage 2 Gerber if I remember the basically applesauce texture one with no garlic or onion added) because that is a great one to offer if she isn't feeling like eating. I also like to take photos every few hours right after a procedure of the wound site. It helps me to be able to see a slide show of healing to identify if something doesn't look right and see that it is healing. It also gives you something to take to the vet if things dont look right so they can see timeline and act quicker.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems to vary from kitten to kitten. I was told that Selene would be tired and grumpy for a few days. As it turned out, if she hadn't had a wound on her belly, you never would've guessed she had surgery. She wanted to cuddle and play from the beginning.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Last edited:

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you use something to make steps or a ramp to the bed? That could help. We were lucky in that we already had a set of pet steps and Neko-chan used them. I also slept in the living room the first night. (I actually didn't sleep more than an hour) By day 3 she was climbing again but didn't tear her stiches.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually slept in the spare bedroom with our girl last week when she was spayed the first 2 nights. That first one it clearly was needed because she wanted the comfort, being still out of it from the anesthesia (she's a mama's girl LOL). I have a playpen for her from when we first brought her home but she's so large now (she's a Maine Coon, 6 months) that I thought it might be a bit too confining for her that first night.

We also bought a set of steps for her to use to get on and off the bed so she would not be tempted to jump - luckily she did use them other than one time in the middle of the night. I managed to catch her before she went flying off the bed, sure freaked me out though. But she was clearly out of it that first 24 hours for the most part and slept pretty much attached to me the whole night other than that one moment.

By the 2nd night, she was able to get herself in and out as needed to use her box, etc. but I felt better still being in the room with her. By the 3rd night, I went back to my bed and just left her in the room by herself, penned up for the night which turned out fine.

We purposely did not put any toys in the room so she would not be tempted to run around those first few days. I felt bad but it was necessary. After a few days we brought in some low key things that wouldn't make her too crazy to play with but after 4 full days of that well, she was going nuts being in there so we threw caution to the wind and started to let her out under supervision. We did keep her in the room at night for a while longer as we have another cat and I wasn't quite sure about leaving them alone to wander the house together while we slept.

Her surgery was last Friday and she's perfectly fine now, healing well. We still are avoiding playing hard with her with things like wand toys just in case, but other than that she's living life normally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chimo2u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s home! Went a bit crazy at first running and jumping like nothings happened. She spent the first 2 nights at the vet so hoping tonight she will be ok. I bought some steps for my bed, not sure yet if she will use them and they’re not quite tall enough but they’re better than none.... here’s my girly!

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She’s home! Went a bit crazy at first running and jumping like nothings happened. She spent the first 2 nights at the vet so hoping tonight she will be ok. I bought some steps for my bed, not sure yet if she will use them and they’re not quite tall enough but they’re better than none.... here’s my girly!
OMG I thought my kitten in a onesie was cute but yours is giving her a run for the money in that outfit! :redheartpump:
Glad she's home and doing ok.
Try using some treats to entice her up the steps the first time or two - that should hopefully do the trick to show her how to use them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chimo2u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I’ll try that 😊💜

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our little one, about the same age as yours, was just spayed on Tuesday. Our vet offered the choice of a gentler anesthesia protocol, using Sevofluorane and a milder sedative called midazolam, along with the morphine for post-op pain (and a cat safe NSAID to give for the 3 days immediately afterwards). She was very much awake and alert when I picked her up early in the afternoon, just about 6 hours after I brought her in, and she wanted her food as soon as we got home. It was like nothing happened!

This is what all Rain had during her spay, and she was wide awake when I picked her up 4 hours after the doctor called to let me know that, with no upset tummy. And, she didn't have a cute little onesie like that! I thought about it... but it turned out that she hasn't messed with the area at all. No onesie, no cone of shame, no clown collars...

1573338531268.png