Spade And The Greatest Two Months Of My Life

ImaginBreaker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lost my cat Spade today 3/22/2018 he was ten months old. I got him on January 28th 2018. Those two months were the happiest and best of my life. I found out I had Thyroid Cancer in December and he helped eliminate all the fear after I got him. I was losing interest in my hobbies and he sprang everything to life again.

It was the first time I had to take care of a life like this. He was really small and skinny so I think he was a runt. At first he would hide under the post on my bed for the whole first week. Then I bought that felliway stuff and it helped him relax. Late in week 2 I got him out with some chicken (poultry was his favorite he loved chicken and turkey. He hated fish.)

From that point on he kept coming out. I always had a can of food on a plate for him every morning and soon he was fully out and about. When my brother came in my room to see him he would always run back to his hiding spot. Eventually he worked up the courage at the end of the first month to come out for him too.

He slowly wanted to explore outside his safe room and he did explore the hallway. Last week he finally worked up the courage to go downstairs. The next day he started to act sluggish. In hindsight I think he wanted to go down at least once before the sickness got him.

After that he wasn't eating or drinking much and didn't play anymore either with me or alone (he use to cause a whole bunch of racket when he was alone). Took him to the vet Monday and they said it was probably FIP and he has probably had it since birth. He always looked like he had a sick and fragile body. He did some test and had to stay at the Vet during the day to get fed and hydrated. I picked him up yesterday and he seemed really sluggish. Like he reached his limit. I was trying to teach him to meow since he didn't know how it was always this quiet pitiful noise. On his final day he let out a loud meow out of nowhere, he did it for me, it was a miracle.

He went to sleep by my side with his head on me for about 10 minutes. After that he walked away onto the end of my bed and his breathing started to act weird so I took him to the ER where they said he was anemic and his blood count bottomed out. He had jaundice too. The FIP was taking him. He tried so hard to fight it. But he just couldn't anymore. So I made the decision. I was by his side the whole time telling him how proud I was of him growing up.

Tomorrow is my birthday and I will do my best for him. I don't want him to see me sad. I love you Spade. My baby. My forever kitten. You were the best cat ever. I'm hurting but I'll move forward.

RIP my Spade.
20180308_100731.jpg

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Words can't express how much I wish I could ease your sorrow. Spade was a handsome little man! And was so very brave! I am glad you got to be by his side in the end, but it sounds like you were always by his side. I wish we could help your heart to heal. You both have been through so much with your health. For now, for your birthday tomorrow, who knows what happens after they cross? We can't say his little spirit won't be with you on your birthday. Given the bond you shared, it is most likely he will be. :redheartpump:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I could sit down and write a sadder story if I tried, I am so so sorry that this happened to you two, just horrible.....I know you wished you had him for many years and I'm sure he wanted to stay with you too, but for some reason he was called away, but he is healthy and happy now, no more sickness, he left his pain ridden body and his spirit is alive and well, and you will see him someday down the line. I am so sorry, this is so so sad....

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I pray your heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was sent to you because you needed each other. I'm so sorry you didn't have longer to spend with him, but sometimes it just isn't meant to be.....I really think he was sent to show you what having a little one to share your life with can be like. That the distraction and joy of sharing your life journey with another will benefit your own life so much more than you ever knew. I'm so proud of you to be able to be there for him, that even though you have your own problems with your health, you were able to take care of him too, and love him all the more for it.
The bond you formed with taht little boy can never be taken from you, you will always be tied to his soul, the love that you developed is eternal because it is spiritual, not physical like the frail body.Do not dwell on the end, but celebrate his life. You were his everything, and gave him what he wanted the most in this life, your love.
I truly wish you a Happy Birthday, it will be hard to get through the day without some tears, without sadness, but it marks one more year on your own calender of life and should be acknowledged. Sweet Spade would be the last one to want you unhappy, he loves you too much than to want anything else but joy in your life. Just as you would want for him if you were the first to go.You more than anyone knows how precious life is, and to be able to share taht life with one such as Spade is an honor and a gift. He would like nothing better that for you to honor his name by passing on his legacy. Love is meant to be shared, to spread around, not hoarded and kept from the light with a cloak of sadness.
Please know my prayers are with you both, dear Spade is at peace now, and you are left to mourn the loss of such a sweet baby. But you did well, and he thanks you for it, for letting him into your home and your heart, it meant everything to him. Take care.....RIP beautiful little Spade. You will never be forgotten and will forever have a special place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again! Good night, Sleep tight!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If little Spade has touched our lives in this way, I cannot imagine the depth of the bond you both share. This thread has had tremendous impact on me and like Furballsmom said, it is a testament to your goodness and the goodness of everyone here. Spade's life was short, but I can promise you this....no one would have made it a more loving one. Just remember every day....he went to The Bridge knowing how loved he is. Don't ever forget that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ImaginBreaker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has the cutest quirk. He played fetch. He loves his mouse toys. At the end he rested his head against my shoulder and just looked at me. Then he hopped out of my arms haha. He doesn't like being held much.

He is also really indifferent. Nothing bothers him and he is the most forgiving and understanding cat I've seen. He is incredibly smart and loves eating turkey and chicken.

I'm reaching the point where the tears are slowing down. I'm having a fun birthday for him, he wouldn't want me to be sad today.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Playing fetch and mouse toys sounds like a pretty grand life! Without you, he probably would have been alone and cold, on a dark street. We are all thinking of you both on your birthday and I hope you had some turkey or chicken tonight, since that is his favorite. Sweet Spade....xxxooo....and hugs to you, too, ImaginBreaker.....! :grouphug: His physical body was just a vessel (like ours). He is with you....