SOS considering declaw

vanessabeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! My husband and I have had our cat Jack for about seven years now. We found him as a kitten but has never willingly let us handle or come near him. Like some humans, Jack has a personality disorder plain and simple. He reacts violently and urinates out of fear when approached. He has caused thousands of dollars of damage over the years by destroying carpets and furniture. He is indoors only and gets along fine with our other two cats. They have plenty of scratching posts and the other cats just get their nails trimmed regularly. I am out of ideas and money for new furniture. We have tried everything. I know declawing is awful but frankly he is lucky to have a home at all. S.O.S.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do not declaw.. it will start a bevy of more emotional problems.. 

You will have to deal with biting!!!

most declawed cats bite because it is their only defense

Can you try those covers, for claws?  I forget what they are called, but it so much better than declawing..

Unfortunately, I had my last cat declawed. After she came home, I was horrified as to what I did to her. I felt horrible. I was so naive.. I did not know what I was wanting to do to my poor kitty..

They actually amputate, yes amputate the last portions of all the toes. It is not just a simple nail removal. 

The nail is attached to the bone.. so they have to amputate the bone....

Please do not do this.. it is really a barbaric

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, declawing can often make behavioral problems worse, so you definitely do not want to do that.

I've never used them, but some people really love soft paws. They're little pieces of vinyl that slip over the cat's nail and adhere with a glue that comes with them, and they last for about a month. They keep the cat from doing damage or scratching anyone, but supposedly they can go about their normal behaviors just fine. I think you can find them at most pet stores.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanessabeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We cannot catch him period and handling him regularly is not possible. When We are able, he bites and scratches very seriously. It is like handling a very terrified feral. I am aware of what declawing does and do agree that it is inhumane. We have tried to overcome his emotional problems using techniques recommended for feral cats without success on multiple occasions. We need a solution that does not require touching him.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Can you try using some herbal remedies to calm him?

Try something like rescue remedy or Jackson Galaxy's stuff. You can put some drops it his water. It may calm him down a bit.

Or get some Feliway infusers. They are like Glade plug-ins. That helped my guy.

vanessabeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have tried the calming sprays, drops and collars. They have had no effect.

vanessabeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have wondered about antidepressants. We would have to close him up in a room to keep the others from eating it too and once he was let out he couldn't continue taking them unless he was calm enough for us to touch him. Anyone have any experience with those? I want to reiterate that we truly believe this is a type of mental disorder. He will see a misplaced sock on the ground and jump 4 feet in the air terrified. Poor thing has hard time.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Did you try the Composure treats? you can order them on line. I am not sure if it is carried at the pet stores.

It has worked wonders for a lot of cats...and a dog..

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that medication is probably needed at this point.  You could likely put it in a treat for him to eat and remove the other cats until he's done.  Composure chews might also help, and wouldn't harm the other cats.  I think that declawing would start an additional avalanche of issues.

vanessabeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not tried this brand yet but have tried similar products. I just ordered two bags from petco. Thank you for the suggestion. I will let you know how they work out. I am hopeful but not optimistic.

vanessabeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do they make cat antidepressants or antipsychotics? Are they safe? Are they safe if the other cats somehow get a hold of them?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do make antidepressants and antipsychotics that are safe for cats and often very effective.  They are actually often adjusted doses of human drugs.  You vet will compound them for you.  Like for humans, it is important that a consistent dose is ingested.  I don't think another cat accidentally getting one pill would hurt them, but it also won't help your other cat.  I would suggest removing the other cats from the room before you give Jack medication.  

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
We cannot catch him period and handling him regularly is not possible. When We are able, he bites and scratches very seriously. It is like handling a very terrified feral. I am aware of what declawing does and do agree that it is inhumane. We have tried to overcome his emotional problems using techniques recommended for feral cats without success on multiple occasions. We need a solution that does not require touching him.
I suggest trapping him in a carrier and going to the vet and describing the problem. There are medications to help cats and trying one of those first might turn the tables. you would of course need something you could put in/on his food or in a pill pocket.

alic23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, sorry if you have already thought of this or looked into it, but an animal behaviourist or a homeopathic vet might be able to help?

vanessabeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We either need to be able to occassionally handle him to deal with his talons or they have to go. We bought a new home six months ago. He has destroyed all of the door frames, carpet in all 3 bedrooms, two couches and an armchair. I will try the meds before we replace everything but am done playing games with him. I kind of feel evil because I have always been strongly opposed to declawing, but the clawing ends or he finds a new place to live. Understand that despite his flaws we love this insane animal and want to do right by him.

vanessabeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will talk to our vet about meds. Thanks for the advice guys! Send us good vibes.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We either need to be able to occassionally handle him to deal with his talons or they have to go. We bought a new home six months ago. He has destroyed all of the door frames, carpet in all 3 bedrooms, two couches and an armchair. I will try the meds before we replace everything but am done playing games with him. I kind of feel evil because I have always been strongly opposed to declawing, but the clawing ends or he finds a new place to live. Understand that despite his flaws we love this insane animal and want to do right by him.
Understood.  Suggestions above would allow you not to touch him and still give him medication, which could make him significantly more calm.  A move in the middle of all this may have exacerbated issues even more.  Although declawing would reduce damage from his claws, he will likely be more anxious, more likely to bite and attack, and unlikely to maintain litter box usage.  It's just a whole new set of issues, and I don't know that it will make living with him any more pleasant.

ravenclaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His behavior is extreme and I can see why you're upset. If psychiatric meds don't work, see about rehoming him. Personally I would go so far as to say that euthanasia would be kinder than declawing.

vanessabeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is not aggressive unless approached. He will always try to run and hide before attacking. He is usually pretty good about the litter box outside of nervous peeing when we are about to pick him up or trap him. I would hate to increase his stress or create new issues.. I wish there was a way to safely knock him out and apply soft paws once a month.