SOS considering declaw

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanessabeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have talked with a behavioral consultant and tried this thing where you confine him to a room and only feed him when we are in there with him so he associates us with food. Only allow him to see the other cats when we are there. Lots of quirky little techniques. After six months he stopped hissing and would take food from our hands but we still couldn't handle him. We let him out and he quickly went back to his old ways. He also destroyed the entire room in the process. I think we will try this method again and combine with meds. I hate doing this because he howls and it breaks my heart but has given better results than anything else. Have not tried a homeopathic consultant and honestly don't believe it would work for us.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
We have talked with a behavioral consultant and tried this thing where you confine him to a room and only feed him when we are in there with him so he associates us with food. Only allow him to see the other cats when we are there. Lots of quirky little techniques. After six months he stopped hissing and would take food from our hands but we still couldn't handle him. We let him out and he quickly went back to his old ways. He also destroyed the entire room in the process. I think we will try this method again and combine with meds. I hate doing this because he howls and it breaks my heart but has given better results than anything else. Have not tried a homeopathic consultant and honestly don't believe it would work for us.
Declawing is likely to bring on a whole new set of destructive behaviors. Medication along with behavior modification is probably your only hope. I would check him for vision/hearing and possible pain issues as well as possible allergies. With in 7 years the most feral of ferals will allow some handling. Abnormal behavior feeds on itself and establishes itself as the norm. Drugs may break the cycle or he may need them for a lifetime.

Consulting with a vet and giving a complete range of all of his behavior issues along with the possibility of declawing and the likelihood it will give you the results you're hoping for. I wish you luck. Not everyone would tolerate a wrecking ball in their home for 7 years with only bites and scratches to show for it.

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have any suggestions/advice to give (but great advice from the posters!) but I wanted to wish you luck and thank you for loving Jack. Although it is an extremely difficult situation, I'm glad to hear you and your family are trying to work towards helping Jack. Not many people would do this and again, THANK YOU! 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about your situation with Jack.

I have a few questions that might help me offer you advice...
1.) Is Jack neutered?

2.) Where does he do most of his scratching? You mention door frames and carpet, are the doors closed or open when he does this? Are the couches and arm chair in one particular room?

3.) What type of scratching surfaces do you have for the cats? Vertical or horizontal? How long/tall? What type of material?

4.) Does Jack ever actively engage in play with you? Do you have regular play sessions with him? What types of toys do you use?

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, I would never say to euthanize him over declawing. While I won't declaw now, I have in the past (including my Lucky, who I loved more than life itself - literally). They have all been absolutely fine. Maybe that was just our luck, I don't know. But to suggest euthanasia over declawing? Wow.

Anyway, to the OP, I hope you are able to have some luck with the vet regarding medications or something to help allow you to clip his nails.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh my goodness, I would never say to euthanize him over declawing. While I won't declaw now, I have in the past (including my Lucky, who I loved more than life itself - literally). They have all been absolutely fine. Maybe that was just our luck, I don't know. But to suggest euthanasia over declawing? Wow.

Anyway, to the OP, I hope you are able to have some luck with the vet regarding medications or something to help allow you to clip his nails.
I think you probably were lucky, but you also had well-adjusted cats, so you had a better chance of it working out.  I don't know that euthanasia is the right option here, but I can see how taking away a defense from an a cat like this could be especially damaging.