Sore/scab/red Spot Under Cat's Chin - Image Availabe

kedilar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

We adopted a 2 year old semi-feral kitten about a year ago. She adopted really well and is doing pretty good. We can finally pet her but she doesn't like it when we try to lift her.
About a week ago I noticed some sort of sore/scab/red spot under her chin. I was able to touch it and it feels like a lump. It feels pretty dry and doesn't seem like it's irritating our kitten.

chin1.jpg

chin2.jpg

I tried to see if I can clean her chin with some warm towel, but she doesn't like it when I bring anything beside my hands close to her chin.

She eats and drink food from Stainless Steel bowls so plastic allergy is out.

She acts normal, eats like how she used to it and plays like a normal playful kitten. Given that it is not very easy to handle her, we have to prepare her for vet visit by putting the carrier out for a while and making her get in by putting her bowl closer and closer to the carrier during meal times.

I was able to take couple pictures of her chin, and was hoping someone can help and share their experience with me.
Have you seen anything like this? Do you know what could be causing this?Could this this be contagious(her brother is our other kitten) ?

Any sort of help and suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you try a little flat plate, like a coffee cup saucer? It could be that might keep her chin dryer...or a white chinete disposable plate?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi kedilar and welcome to the forum !
I noticed some sort of sore/scab/red spot under her chin. I was able to touch it and it feels like a lump. It feels pretty dry
To me (imo), this looks and sounds like something that will require veterinary attention.

Here's an article about that 'something' - note that this 'something' can show up in several forms/ways - so far, your example is quite mild: Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex - Mar Vista Animal Medical Center

This is not 'contagious' (infectious).

You'd have to read that article very carefully to understand that sometimes these reactions (immune responses) are caused by a transient allergen that will never be identified. Cat's immune systems are particularly sensitive, often over-reacting to the most minor 'threats'. A competent and experienced cat Vet will know how to safely stop these in their tracks.

Time for you to put out her carrier and start inching the food closer:lol:

motherof5cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am currently treating my eldest cat for feline acne and it kind of reminds me of how his chin was before I began to treat it. Nothing that a trip to the vet won't solve.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
motherof5cats motherof5cats - the written description and the images make it appear to me to be different from 'simple' feline acne (which would not require steroidal treatment and, possibly more).

motherof5cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
motherof5cats motherof5cats - the written description and the images make it appear to me to be different from 'simple' feline acne (which would not require steroidal treatment and, possibly more).
I'm just saying what my experience was. I felt lumps and my cat wouldn't scratch them at first which is why I went for the warm compress and iodine treatment for the first week, which was before the first black spot appeared.

It could be a completely different thing however and I'm definitely not an expert, which is why I think that a visit to the vet is always the right solution when in doubt. I'm sorry if my comment came out in a different way, under no circumstances did I want to undermine the kitty's issue as a case of acne which is persistent yet not really threatening.