Somethings Wrong With My Cat

Marie4448

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Friday night I noticed my 4 year old cat, Nova was standing really funny and had drool running from his mouth. I called my husband over and he approached Nova. Nova was really out of it and when he tried to walk his back legs kept going inward. There was some throw up in the basement but not a ton. We knew he had to be seen so we took him to the closest emergency vet. We had to drive a half hour. We noticed on the way Nova seemed to act a little more normal. By the time we got there at 1 a.m. he was much more with it, stopped drooling but still walked like he was dizzy. $300 later The vet gave him fluids and anti nausea medication. He advised us to call his regular vet in the morning. The next day, Saturday Nova seemed back to his old self. He slept a lot but we figured he was tired. We still called his vet and made an appt for this Tuesday.

Then last night I awoke to Nova standing by me all wobbly drooling again. I cuddled him and he fell asleep. When I woke up I found him under the bed.. still a little drooly and a little wobbly. His head also tilts like it’s too heavy to hold up during this time. Through today, his incoordination has gotten worse. He has had 2 drooling episodes. He will only eat canned cat food. He has not drank his water and has used the litter box twice. His eyes look kind of funny. I called his vet in town again and he said to bring him in right in the morning bc they aren’t open today. We are going to do blood tests and he will be examined. I’m just so scared he is not going to make it through the night.

We had a cat seizure and die in my husbands arms 3 years ago and it was so awful.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on?? His symptoms come in waves... I just don’t know what to do. We have a 4 month old son and a 20 month old son so we are so very busy and honestly short on our budget after the $300 visit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marie4448

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Idk why it says kitten. I don’t have a kitten. I can’t figure out how to change that. ‍♀

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first thought would be vestibular disease

This is a description of what I was suggesting.

Vestibular disease may be the result of trauma or disease in the vestibular apparatus inside of a cat’s ear. This apparatus aids a cat’s coordination and balance. Vestibular syndrome may also be caused by a number of primary conditions affecting the vestibular system, ranging from infection to cancer. Feline vestibular syndrome is a condition that affects the nervous system and causes a lack of coordination in cats. The condition often manifests suddenly. Cats affected by vestibular disease tend to fall to one side, tilt their heads, and experience unintentional eye movement. Cats with vestibular disease may experience other symptoms based on the underlying cause. Siamese and Burmese breeds have a higher risk of developing this disorder at birth.

There are several causes of this ranging from an infection to more serious things, and the treatment will depend on what is causing it.
Good that you'll be bringing him to the vet soon. Please keep us updated!!

Read more at: Vestibular Disease in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

And you're the "kitten", being new to the site!:D Welcome!:wave3:

Kissamew

My attitude is inspired by cats....
Young Cat
Purraise
Friday night I noticed my 4 year old cat, Nova was standing really funny and had drool running from his mouth. I called my husband over and he approached Nova. Nova was really out of it and when he tried to walk his back legs kept going inward. There was some throw up in the basement but not a ton. We knew he had to be seen so we took him to the closest emergency vet. We had to drive a half hour. We noticed on the way Nova seemed to act a little more normal. By the time we got there at 1 a.m. he was much more with it, stopped drooling but still walked like he was dizzy. $300 later The vet gave him fluids and anti nausea medication. He advised us to call his regular vet in the morning. The next day, Saturday Nova seemed back to his old self. He slept a lot but we figured he was tired. We still called his vet and made an appt for this Tuesday.

Then last night I awoke to Nova standing by me all wobbly drooling again. I cuddled him and he fell asleep. When I woke up I found him under the bed.. still a little drooly and a little wobbly. His head also tilts like it’s too heavy to hold up during this time. Through today, his incoordination has gotten worse. He has had 2 drooling episodes. He will only eat canned cat food. He has not drank his water and has used the litter box twice. His eyes look kind of funny. I called his vet in town again and he said to bring him in right in the morning bc they aren’t open today. We are going to do blood tests and he will be examined. I’m just so scared he is not going to make it through the night.

We had a cat seizure and die in my husbands arms 3 years ago and it was so awful.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on?? His symptoms come in waves... I just don’t know what to do. We have a 4 month old son and a 20 month old son so we are so very busy and honestly short on our budget after the $300 visit.

Hello, by now I hope your kitty is okay and you know what his issue is. I live in Southern Arizona and if I saw my cat drooling and trying to back away (this would be outside, mind you, or coming in from outside), I would flush their mouth gently yet thoroughly from the side so it runs out to the earth, while trying to hold them so the water does not choke them. I am by NO means saying it isn't serious. I am not a veterinarian. But here we get desert toads and Colorado river toads, cats and dogs will get them in their mouths and the toxins from the toads flesh makes the pets drool extreme bubbly sloppy frothy amounts. When I was growing up my parents didn't allow us to have pets inside and the vet was "too expensive" so I learned how to flush their mouth. The cats instinct would be to try to get away from the "ick" and since it is in the mouth the cat would scoot/creep backwards. Their pupils dilate and they are very disoriented. I didn't see anymore posts from you here, so I am hoping things turned out well. Many Blessings to you and your friend. PS: I am just relating what I felt I needed to do when I was young. I am not advising anyone, just saying the cause of what happened with cats and dogs while I was growing up. My cats now are indoor cats. Highly unlikely they would encounter a toad inside.

Marie4448

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well things are a little better.. another $400 later he has been into his vet. They ran blood tests and they all came back normal.‍♀ So we are trying antibiotics in case there is an infection for a few days to see if anything changes. He was also “hospitalized” for 2 days so they could give him fluids, pain medS and so he could be monitored. His drooling has stopped as far as I can tell unless it happens when I am not with him. However he still has bad balance... tips over and his head keeps tilting to the left. His eyes are still dilated and he just seems “off”.

It’s been really hard and sad bc we love him so so much and he is typically the most loving loyal little guy. We asked about a stroke, seizure, vestibular disease and they said they wouldn’t know unless they ran other tests. It could be so many things... tumor on the brain epilepsy. We are just really hoping the antibiotics work. The next step if they don’t is an xray of his brain which will be another $250. We are over $700 in and with two young children it is hard to think of spending more and then we still don’t have answers.

I cry every night when I put my kids to bed and then hold Nova bc I want to help him but idk how.

Thanks for responses and support. Prayers appreciated. I am not ready to say goodbye to my boy. I just don’t think it’s his time.

Marie4448

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nova is back to his sweet, wonderful and almost healthy self! The antibiotics are working... there was an infection somewhere. We aren’t sure where which is scary but each day he is less wobbly and he is no longer drooling. Im hoping he wasn’t in pain too long but unfortunately pets are so good at hiding their pain.

Attachments

Marie4448

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nova is back to his sweet, wonderful and almost healthy self! The antibiotics are working... there was an infection somewhere. We aren’t sure where which is scary but each day he is less wobbly and he is no longer drooling. Im hoping he wasn’t in pain too long but unfortunately pets are so good at hiding their pain.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m so glad Nova is back to his old self. About how long didn’t it take your guy to get back to normal? They told us our cat Lucky has a severe case of this so I’m assuming her recovery will be slower. It’s just so heartbreaking watching her trying to walk & she stumbles around & falls. They gave her a lot of meds so she has been sleeping all day but when she picks up her head to look around and her head is bobbing my heart breaks.