Some Shed Pics

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
@mazie No plumbing. As long as we did it the way we're doing it, we didn't need a building permit. Had we put plumbing in, it would have kicked in the requirement for a building permit, and I wasn't going there. Building permits are s real pain. I had a long talk with the Building/Codes people and knew what I could do. Had we put the shed where we wanted to originally and gotten the two-story shed I wanted in the beginning, we would have done a half-bath (toilet and sink) on the second floor. But neither worked out and I don't want even a half-bath taking up space. This location isn't far away from the house and I can make mad dashes if I have to!

@Mother Dragon If I could find a futon/day bed that I knew was really comfortable, I'd consider it. And if it was just me, I'd buy a sofa and be done with it. Molli and I can always stretch out on the sofa. But I'd really like Rick to be able to use the sofa/bed with me sometimes, too, so I need to find something for both of us. I'm looking around.

I'm not sure that Rick really likes the shed; it's just that, during football season, he wants some time alone. I usually end up reading in the bedroom with Molli and Muffin when there's a game on. When it gets too bad, I shut the bedroom door. But the other cats and Beast are still with Rick. If he goes to the shed, he's got some alone time. To rant and rave and yell and scream about his Eagles. :lol:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rick and I have been talking about the ceiling. In the center of the ceiling, where the transom dormer is, we're keeping the vault. That will be finished in wood and the chandelier will hang in the center (I found a really kitschy chandelier that I want). Both ends of the ceiling are going to be drywalled and then painted. Hopefully that will give a bit of contrast to the ceiling. We'll also need access to both ends of the roof, just in case something happens and we need to get up in there for some reason....you never know. We're thinking of a small door or some other kind of opening.
small AC unit in the northern window, where it's always shaded. However, after looking at the screens in the window, we see that they don't open. We're going to have to figure something out, probably some kind of AC room unit. We will need AC to combat the humidity, more so than the sun because this area is relatively shaded (the southern end gets morning sun, but that's it). But the humidity around here is terrible and that might do damage to the books, I think.

I'm so glad you all like the shed! My coworker started to call it the McShed (like the McMansions, but on a way smaller scale!).

Oh, and did I mention that Rick has already staked a claim to the shed during football season?! :lol:

When they replaced the windows in my apartment they put the same type in. I got a portable air conditioner for the bedroom, the kind that vents out of a window with a hose. It does take up floor space. Because the whole unit is in the room it is noisier but it works as well as a window unit.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We have the trench finished, going from the house, across the top of the driveway and yard, over to the McShed. Actually, it looks more like a mini-moat! The electrician is on vacation this week; when he gets back, he'll hook us up to the house and we'll have electricity in the McShed. And cable. And ethernet. I have the ethernet Switch, a LinkSys. And, once he's done, we can finish insulating on that side of the McShed. We'll also need to do the roof insulation.

The drywall weenie just left. He said he'll do the work we need, but he won't be able to do anything until the beginning of September as he's just too busy with other stuff (constructing a couple garages, finishing up a house, etc). He's going to do some construction to the ceiling to make it easier for him to put up the drywall, do the drywall, etc. He is also putting access into both ends of the McShed ceiling; Rick is adamant about wanting access into the ends. You never know if it might be needed.

Meanwhile, we have to buy the beadboard we need and get it stained for the ceiling vault. We're going to buy some different stains to see what I'll like. I don't want anything that will turn too orange-y; some stains get too dark, too orange-y and, for me, it's not a good look. I don't like it and would rather have a stain that's more natural. The contractor told Rick that, while he was doing the drywall, if the beadboard is stained and finished, he'll just go ahead and put that up, too. I googled beadboard images and there are some gorgeous pictures.

His quote is more than reasonable. And he's thinking a week to get it done. Rick said that I'd like to have it done before it gets too cold because of moving my office plants there; the slightest little thing with my grandmother's Christmas cactus will be enough to stop it from budding out. I'm already worried about moving it as it is. The contractor has been in my office here at work and he knows about my plants. There's a ton of 'em.

Stay tuned!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really coming along now. Can't wait for you to be in it!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
The contractor was here last week. He's coming back this Thursday to start work on the drywall, a bit of framing, doing the bead board on the ceiling vault, and doing the spouting. Once the drywall is done, we can paint.

So, here are some ideas:

The door is Sonic Plum (Valspar)

The walls will be Luxe Lilac (Behr, but will be matched by Lowes as Valspar). Don't panic; the color is much lighter than it shows here

The floor is a QuickStep floor in Glenwood Oak
glenwoodoak.jpg

We're at a toss-up with the vault light.
From Pottery Barn
PotteryBarn.jpg

Or Portfolio from Lowes. We rather like the black accent of the Pottery Barn light. And it's cheaper in the long run: On sale right now, 15% first purchase, and free shipping with code.

All molding around the door, windows, floor, crown molding, etc will be done in white. The ceiling will be done in white, except for the vault, which has been stained and varnished (but I forget the color). That's pretty much where I'm at right now.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise