SOLVED - Cat won't use metal litter box?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has anyone run in to this before? We got a metal litter because the corner bin was getting scratched up. Having 3 diggers will do that. It was Magnus's fav place to "go" so we put the new metal one there, thinking he'd be glad for the space and clean smell. Nope. We haven't seen him use it. The other boys are now favouring the new box. All 3 used the corner box before so it's not likely an issue with the box becoming a shared space.

Is the cat-attract powder very dusty? We might try it out.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any solutions to offer, sorry to say, just a couple of guesses about the cause of the problem. Two possibilities come to mind:
  1. The feel when Magnus digs and comes up against metal rather than plastic.
  2. The sound, either of litter striking the edge of the pan while Magnus digs or of claws on metal.
And this does bring one potential solution to mind, now that I think about it. You might try putting more litter into the pan, so Magnus doesn't dig deeply enough to encounter metal. It won't work if the problem is the sound of litter striking metal, but it could work if the problem has to do with claws against metal.

Good luck.

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I add extra litter to prevent them hitting the bottom as easily, but one of mine still tries to dig to the other side of the world and acts annoyed that there's so much litter 🤣

Would say try both more and less litter as well as a different kind of litter (especially if it's something their paws sink into, mine were uncomfortable because their paws sank and I think the metal was cold lol)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has anyone run in to this before? We got a metal litter because the corner bin was getting scratched up. Having 3 diggers will do that. It was Magnus's fav place to "go" so we put the new metal one there, thinking he'd be glad for the space and clean smell. Nope. We haven't seen him use it. The other boys are now favouring the new box. All 3 used the corner box before so it's not likely an issue with the box becoming a shared space.

Is the cat-attract powder very dusty? We might try it out.
I found the cat attract litter to be almost dirt-like in consistency, I have not used the powder.
Did you wash the box out? Some cats IME have a strong distaste for the scent of metal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes I washed the box, but also he hasn't stepped into the box yet. So I don't think it's an issue with sound or anything. He's never had hesitation about a new box before.

Sorry forgot to say, the litter is the same litter that's in all the other boxes he's using.

I could try less litter as it's a 6 inch box and filled at least half.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I also would question the long term durrability of corrosive cat urine on metal as another user actualy had a stove destroyed by it
Lovable kitty destroys cookstove
Thanks IndyJones. I did see that previously. A stove doesn't have any litter on it to soak anything up. So I'm less worried about it but will keep an eye of course.

With all boys being diggers, the plastic ones get scratched up and I'm worried even with sanitizing it that there's bacteria staying inside.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks IndyJones. I did see that previously. A stove doesn't have any litter on it to soak anything up. So I'm less worried about it but will keep an eye of course.

With all boys being diggers, the plastic ones get scratched up and I'm worried even with sanitizing it that there's bacteria staying inside.
I use liners in my plastic boxes and have had them for over 25 years.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I washed the box, but also he hasn't stepped into the box yet. So I don't think it's an issue with sound or anything. He's never had hesitation about a new box before.

Sorry forgot to say, the litter is the same litter that's in all the other boxes he's using.

I could try less litter as it's a 6 inch box and filled at least half.
Try putting some litter that he's already used in the new box, maybe even some uncleaned waste. That may be enough to tell him, "Yes, this smells like my litter box."

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the ideas! I appreciate all the posts.

I removed some litter yesterday so it's a bit under half and turned the litter box sideways?? (I was desperate to try anything 🤣) and he used it last night and this morning as he usually would the old one.