Lovable kitty destroys cookstove

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of you might remember my totally lovable Himalayan kitty my roommate and I called der Baron von Komfy. He was gorgeous to look at, sweet as a pie, and . . . like a tragic hero in a story, was a late neutered tomcat which meant that he’d developed male kitty bad habits, the worst of which included peeing all over, including the front of my recently disposed of stove.

Pictures below show how bad the damage was, which were taken when I hauled the stove to a metals dealer (they took it!) for disposal. The hinges on both the broiler and the main oven were destroyed or partially destroyed.

1700151159737.png

1700151206864.png

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This particular problem has been resolved with the removal of the stove. But, in all likelihood, this cat sprays other places as well. I presume this is an outdoor only cat, and no one is complaining about his spraying habits? If so, all the better for your gorgeous, loveable buddy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This particular problem has been resolved with the removal of the stove. But, in all likelihood, this cat sprays other places as well. I presume this is an outdoor only cat, and no one is complaining about his spraying habits? If so, all the better for your gorgeous, loveable buddy.
Actually, this was an indoor cat to the core, who didn't even know how to act outside.

The bigger problem was that Der Baron got resentful of other male cats I'd adopted by then, and started peeing all over, as well as peeing and pooping in doorways. In retrospect, I've noted the little cards in cages at adoption centers that note that a male kitty wants to be the only boy kitty in the house, or words to such effect. That's the Baron.

Got really lucky in being able to rehome him with a guy who wanted a pet for his old mom who fell in love with a picture in my phone. (I said I'd take Der Baron back if he peed in the old lady's house; so far, no problem.) The vet said that sometimes male cats can't handle "competition" as it were from other males and do that.

Baron's picture was plastered all over this website for a while.

Here's one with Zika, his late lady friend - he's on the right, giving her a noogie on my desk.

zika and the baron.jpeg

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just as a side note, Zika also started pooping and peeing in doorways, until I took her to the vets (on advice from Cat Siters) and the vet found that she had bad teeth. So, after cleaning and pulling, she was good for another couple of years, till she got kidney failure.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aside from the notes about why the kitty peed like he did, the bigger point was to note how really really corrosive cat pee really is.

It can wreck metals, and painted surfaces. Enzyme based "urine away" preparations can help, but you have to get to the peed on areas sooner instead of later. In my case, I didn't really know the kitty was peeing on the stove, and only much later did I realize he'd destroyed it.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard of dog pee wrecking air conditioner coils but that is something else. Did you not clean it off? Was it an unused stove in the garage or something?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Kabuto was neutered at 2 years old after SPCA took him from his old owners but he religously uses his box the one time he didin't he had a kidney stone and he looked like I was going to shoot him in the head or something.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Air conditioner coil ruined by dog pee.

Urine is deffinatly corrosive.
Prior to my stove episode, I'd have noted a surprise reaction. Now, nope. In fact, a kitty probably would have rotted the tubes all the way through.