Soft Stool (still)

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On my previous post I mentioned my boyfriend gave Tom our 2 MO old kitten milk but it was almost 2 weeks ago and he still haves a soft stool. I took him this past Saturday to get his second round of shots and he had a slight fever. They checked him for parasites and he doesn't have any. I have to take him back again this weekend because the Dr said they couldn't give him the shots due to the fever. I'm just frustrated he is on dry food as I didn't feed any wet food (he had once) anymore due to the soft stools. I'm just so confused as to what's wrong!!!!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The slight fever and ongoing diarrhea would suggest something else is going on and is perhaps coincidental with the milk - or resulting from the milk in one way or another.

I would ask the vet to perform a full fecal test to look for bacteria. A fecal float test only looks for parasites - not bacteria. If you can collect a clean sample of the stool, you should be able to take that to the vet without having your kitten taken in again - just check with the vet to make sure it is OK being done that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The slight fever and ongoing diarrhea would suggest something else is going on and is perhaps coincidental with the milk - or resulting from the milk in one way or another.

I would ask the vet to perform a full fecal test to look for bacteria. A fecal float test only looks for parasites - not bacteria. If you can collect a clean sample of the stool, you should be able to take that to the vet without having your kitten taken in again - just check with the vet to make sure it is OK being done that way.
While waiting to be seen he pooped in the carrier so the Dr said they checked didn't specified I should inquire about a full one. He doesn't have diarreah per say but it's not hard as when we initially adopted him. I'm just frustrated. He keeps eating, drinking and is very active so I'm not sure what's wrong we will find out this Saturday.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm just so confused as to what's wrong!!!!!
Don't get confused the difference between diarrhea which is watery stool and soft stools.

Diarrhea could mean that there are some medical reasons due to some abnormalities in the system or intolerable to certain foods. Soft stools on the other hand could mean many that the digestive system is not to good in processing the food or not taking too well with certain food or while during the transition of one food to other without slowly introducing the new food.

So you have to play detective to find out what's the cause of it and make necessary change if it's due to food.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it’s simply soft stools, that may clear up with a probiotic. If he’s on an antibiotic for his fever, wait until the antibiotic course is over to begin probiotics. My favorite probiotic is Pet Flora from Vitality Science. Proviable is another decent one that you can get from your vet.
Pet Flora, Cat Probiotics Supplement | Vitality Science

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may able to ask Vitality Science for a sample. It looks like dirt because it is soil-based. Krista doesn’t seem to mind it now but she has in the past. So I keep Proviable on hand for when she decides she’s done eating dirt.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you try adding back in some canned food to his diet? That might help.

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't get confused he difference between diarrhea which is watery stool and soft stools.

Diarrhea could mean that there are some medical reasons due to some abnormalities in the system or intolerable to certain foods. Soft stools on the other hand could mean many that the digestive system is not to good in processing the food or not taking too well with certain food or while during the transition of one food to other without slowly introducing the new food.

So you have to play detective to find out what's the cause of it and make necessary change if it's due to food.

yes its only soft not diarrhea, he got it after the milk incident and has had it since its starting to get a little more consistent but it still soft.

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it’s simply soft stools, that may clear up with a probiotic. If he’s on an antibiotic for his fever, wait until the antibiotic course is over to begin probiotics. My favorite probiotic is Pet Flora from Vitality Science. Proviable is another decent one that you can get from your vet.
Pet Flora, Cat Probiotics Supplement | Vitality Science

he was not prescribed anything for the fever, he has been active and eating and very his normal self. I am just frustrated that he still has it and I cant help

Chatdgouttiere

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On my previous post I mentioned my boyfriend gave Tom our 2 MO old kitten milk but it was almost 2 weeks ago and he still haves a soft stool. I took him this past Saturday to get his second round of shots and he had a slight fever. They checked him for parasites and he doesn't have any. I have to take him back again this weekend because the Dr said they couldn't give him the shots due to the fever. I'm just frustrated he is on dry food as I didn't feed any wet food (he had once) anymore due to the soft stools. I'm just so confused as to what's wrong!!!!!
Hello YuselinM! I am not a vet nor a technician, but I've cared for several dozens young cats, age 0 to 4 months old, as I foster care for my local shelter. I have rarely seen a kitten with normal stools. In my experience, can food never made things worst nor prevented the stools from eventually turning normal. You probably know this already, but shots will often cause stools to go soft, same as a sudden change in food brand, as well as stress from a home relocation. It definitely coud be a health issue, but at his age I would not worry about it. Give him some time. One of my cats, which I adopted at the age of 2 months, had soft stool until the age of 2 years. She did not have parasites either and the vet had no idea what to do next (after trying a few products). I tried all kinds of food and nothing worked. It just went away by itself. Don't wait 2 years, but nevertheless be positive.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask the vet for Proviable or pick up another probiotic at your local pet supply store. You may also search probiotic in the forums and will probably get some recommendations.

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello YuselinM! I am not a vet nor a technician, but I've cared for several dozens young cats, age 0 to 4 months old, as I foster care for my local shelter. I have rarely seen a kitten with normal stools. In my experience, can food never made things worst nor prevented the stools from eventually turning normal. You probably know this already, but shots will often cause stools to go soft, same as a sudden change in food brand, as well as stress from a home relocation. It definitely coud be a health issue, but at his age I would not worry about it. Give him some time. One of my cats, which I adopted at the age of 2 months, had soft stool until the age of 2 years. She did not have parasites either and the vet had no idea what to do next (after trying a few products). I tried all kinds of food and nothing worked. It just went away by itself. Don't wait 2 years, but nevertheless be positive.
oh wow!! he is only two months now so I will give him time and have him checked again this saturday.

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ask the vet for Proviable or pick up another probiotic at your local pet supply store. You may also search probiotic in the forums and will probably get some recommendations.
oh its available in stores?? I'll ask this saturday during the visit

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh its available in stores?? I'll ask this saturday during the visit
Proviable is available through the vet's office. It is also available online.

The one many cats like is called FortiFlora and it is pretty much garbage as a probiotic. It's got the kibble flavor that cats like so many cat guardians use FortiFlora as a bridge to wet food or an enticement to get a cat to eat rather than as a probiotic. I mention this because you'll want Proviable, not FortiFlora when asking the vet for a probiotic. I don't have any experience with store bought probiotics. A forum search can probably turn up some recommendations there.

My favorite probiotic--not sure if it's Krista's favorite because it looks like dirt--is Pet Flora from Vitality Science. They have a five sample trial pack for $15.95. Five samples would probably last you a very long time with a kitten. It takes about two days for my Krista to go through 1 capsule as she gets 1/2 a capsule spread over two meals each day. You'll probably give less for a kitten but you can ask their customer service. They usually respond to email within 24 hours.
https://vitalityscience.com/product/cat-probiotics/
Finicky Cat Trial Pack, Cat Health Supplements | Vitality Science

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Proviable is available through the vet's office. It is also available online.

The one many cats like is called FortiFlora and it is pretty much garbage as a probiotic. It's got the kibble flavor that cats like so many cat guardians use FortiFlora as a bridge to wet food or an enticement to get a cat to eat rather than as a probiotic. I mention this because you'll want Proviable, not FortiFlora when asking the vet for a probiotic. I don't have any experience with store bought probiotics. A forum search can probably turn up some recommendations there.

My favorite probiotic--not sure if it's Krista's favorite because it looks like dirt--is Pet Flora from Vitality Science. They have a five sample trial pack for $15.95. Five samples would probably last you a very long time with a kitten. It takes about two days for my Krista to go through 1 capsule as she gets 1/2 a capsule spread over two meals each day. You'll probably give less for a kitten but you can ask their customer service. They usually respond to email within 24 hours.
https://vitalityscience.com/product/cat-probiotics/
Finicky Cat Trial Pack, Cat Health Supplements | Vitality Science

oh no, I want the good stuff lol will ask and thank you so much for ll this info ladies !!!!!