Soft Poops In Three Kittens In A Row

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the last year or so, I adopted/fostered 3 kittens, and all of them came up with the issue that I'm going to explain.

End of September 2018, I adopted a kitten (Kitten A) about 4 months old. A few days after she was home with us, she developed a soft poop that we tried to treat with every possible measure. First thing was a fecal test which came back clear. The kitten was treated anyway for worms, just in case. She took probiotics. We also changed her food a couple of times, with no results. Actually we ended up with the opposite, she started losing very liquid poop all over without she could realize of it. She was also treated with metronidazole because the vet suspected giardia (no test was done). The kitten was hospitalized for 4 days during which she kept eating the same food, but no poop issue was noticed at the clinic, so the kitten was discharged and sent back home where she resumed her issue right away. Around Christmas last year we decided to rehome her, and she was totally fine since day 1 in her new home, and I know that the new family never had to treat her for that problem!

Mid October 2018 I also adopted a tiny kitten (Kitten B) from a rescue group. She was 3 months old, and came home with me and lived with Kitten A. After a couple of days Kitten B too developed soft poop, just like Kitten A. Even in this case, no treatment proved to be effective. Meanwhile Kitten A was bullying Kitten B, the cohabitation between them two was close to impossible. I had to keep the two kittens in two separate rooms when we were away, and tried to socialize them when we were home. Three weeks later, early November, we gave up, and thought it was better off for Kitten B to be returned to the rescue group. What I know is that Kitten B was back to normal poop since the next day after returning her and no treatment was given to her.
Kitten A was alone again and was happier, I'd say.

After rehoming Kitten A, I remained cat-less for a few months.
Then, July this year, I found and brought home an abandoned kitten (Kitten C) estimated 6 weeks old. She was extremely sweet and affectionate, clearly she had a family before. Unfortunately this kitten, though she was otherwise healthy, showed the same problem. Soft poop, sometimes runny poop, that no treatment was able to fix. She would also pee a lot, several, many, times a day. All tests, X-ray, ultrasound scans, etc, were clear, but nonetheless she had this litterbox issue. Again probiotics, new diet, etc. Despite we loved her, and she loved us, two and a half months later we thought to rehome her, and warned the new family of this issue, which never showed up in the new home since the first night, and again nothing was given to the kitten by the new family.

So, three kittens in a row, with the same poop issue, and all of them stopped having troubles as soon as they left our home.
From a certain point of view, rehoming them was the best cure I could give them.
I'm scared to bring home any new kitten in the future...

What kind of explanation might there be?
The vets have no answers at all, apart from "it's a hard case, just like all those you had in the past with your two cats".

Thanks!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could it be something in your water causing them a problem? Try switching to bottled water. It may be something that causes the cats to have issues, but you are now immune to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be something in your water causing them a problem? Try switching to bottled water. It may be something that causes the cats to have issues, but you are now immune to it.
That is a good point!
But when the Kitten A was kept at the vets' for 4 days, they fed her the same food and the same water, because my home and them are served by the same mains.
And all cats and kittens hospitalized at the vets' are always fine.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be something in your pipes that is specific to your home. I would try some bottled water to see if anything changes.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be something in your pipes that is specific to your home. I would try some bottled water to see if anything changes.
Now that I'm thinking about this.
I have two semi-ferals in my courtyard. Their water comes from the same pipes. They're fine.
Do you think that it can be because they're grown up and stronger than a kitten?

Do you also think that whatever it is in my pipes, the soft poop fixes in a blink of an eye as soon as they leave my home? I mean, an upset tummy takes some time to restore itself.

I can't try some bottled water, at the moment I have no kittens home.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And now it's the fourth cat in a row with the same problem.

She has nothing in common with the previous three cats (and they did not have anything in common among them), apart that she's a female and she's living with us.
New toys, new dishes, new litter boxes, different food.
Up to five soft or runny poops a day, up to 7 pees a day. She doesn't drink much, she eats small meals several times a day, so she isn't overeating. Her food is for gastrointestinal problems, as per instructions of the rescue group that handed her to me.

:sniffle:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is so strange, and my thought, as with shadowsrescue shadowsrescue is that there might be something specific going on with the water coming into your home. The pipes? Maybe even the faucet? I'd try buying bottled water and seeing if it makes any difference. Good luck. So sorry this is happening to you, again. :alright:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's something in the water it might takes weeks to be fixed in her belly.
The same water is being drunk by the two semi-ferals outside, and it seems to they're fine, though, of course, I can't check their poop everyday.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it's something in the water it might takes weeks to be fixed in her belly.
Maybe not, as you posted upthread that the other kittens had no more issues after the first day in their new homes. So I still think it's worth a try.