Soft Claws?

mrs h

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,
Does anyone have any experience with soft claws caps?
I'm considering them for the cat baby. He doesn't have any particular behavioural problems with scratching of anything but he's a bit rough when he starts to play fight, and if he kneads onyme it irritates my eczema so trimming isn't enough.
Personally I don't think he'd mind wearing them but I've seen some reviews on various sites frim people who think its cruel. Is this like a widespread view?
And how safe have people found them?

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think the cats really appreciate it, and it isn't much fun to do. If it saves the cat from the sadistic practise of declawing, than I'm all for it, otherwise, I'd rather not. I have put soft claws on cats in the past. You need to trim the nail, but not too short, because the glue needs something to adhere to. Fill the nail cap with glue as per the instructions, slide it over the claw, and hold it there for the count of five before moving on. Or...

You could take an old sock, stuff it, sew the end shut, and when kitty goes to wrestle your arm, give him that to bite and claw instead. Teaching him that it isn't appropriate to play that way with your flesh is a wise thing to do, in any case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrs h

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, declawing is illegal here anyway, it's not something that I'd even been aware of until I started talking to folks outside the UK!
Kitty doesn't play fight with me nooo I don't allow that and he knows it. Thats my husbands problem, Pascal has a wildly different approach to the two of us!
My main deal is that he's very much a lap cat with me and I love the bonding time that we share, but when he kneads me (as he is prone to do ALL THE TIME) his claws agitate my eczema. It makes it very uncomfortable for me even though hes not trying to scratch me bloody, and my husband has no problem with him kneading as he has better skin than me. I want to keep our little bonding time because he very much enjoys it.I've tried everything else to get around it and I just wondered if this was something that was an acceptable alternative.

loribeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HI Mrs H ...I'm not really sure why anyone would consider them 'cruel' ...declawing IS cruel.  If trimming a cats claws is cruel, then okay, this is cruel too ...follow me? 

YES - learning to accept the application can be tough. For us & them!  If you are raising a kitten then def teach him to have his feet & claws handled and the application will be a breeze I suspect.  My kitty needs to wear them or I can't have him & this is pretty new to me too.  He is a monster having his feet handled right now but I hope with time he will be more accepting.  Once the tips are on, he makes no acknowledgement of them - not even for a second.  He is strictly an indoor cat ...not sure they would be suitable for a cat that is allowed outside.  Being my cat is indoors only, he needs to learn to have his nails trimmed anyway (got him at a shelter 7 months ago, he's an adult) ...IMHO it is no more traumatic then that.  HTH!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrs h

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see! I think I'm going to have a chat with my vet about it at his next check up and we'll see where we get to from there!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Until you can get the soft claws on him try putting a heavy towel or blanket between him and your arms or legs. Hopefully that will be thick enough that his claws don't go all the way through when he's kneading.