Socializing My New Semi-feral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
That’s good advice, thank you!! That’s sort of what I’ve been doing... but I feel as though we’re not really getting anywhere lately. I keep my hand in a loose fist with the back of the hand up, and sometimes extend a finger for her to sniff. When I’m lying in bed and do it (my mattress is on the ground) she will usually sniff my hand and not seem too scared. Sometimes she very lightly touches it with a paw to investigate. But it’s kind of stopped at that, and she doesn’t really seem to have any interest in approaching any further. If I push it, she gets giant feral eyes and shrinks away from me.

Did you give Mocha a distraction like treats while you petted her side, or not? And did you sit still and wait for her to initiate contact with you, or did you just get gradually closer until you were touching her?

I like that Chai can associate yummy treats with my hand petting her. But I worry it might be such a big distraction that it’s not actually helping her, since once the treats are gone she gets nervous again.
Yeah, Mocha would get the “giant feral eyes” and shrink away from me, too. Her socialization was a series of tiny steps over months, not weeks.

I couldn’t distract her with treats. She didn’t trust enough to be distracted. Oh, she wanted them. She just wouldn’t eat them when I was close to her. I had to put them down and then scoot away. It seems to be working with Chai so I’d keep it up!

It was about week three or four when she flopped onto her back and showed her belly...about three feet away from my outstretched hand. She started to purr about that time. She wanted so badly to be petted. I gradually moved closer and closer with my hand stretched out each time I sat with her. Eventually, she bumped against the back of my hand. We just worked it from there. But it really did take months for her. You and Chai are so much farther ahead than we were! Her resilience is so amazing given the loss of her leg.

Even after a year, I still can’t pick Mocha up, but in every other way, she’s a sweet, loving girl. Follows me around asking for pets, flops onto her back so I can rub her belly, hops onto my lap to nap, sleeps with me. She has even started asking The Spouse for pets. That took almost a year.

They’re all so different...as are we. Given her trauma, Chai has come a long way. :):redheartpump:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even after a year, I still can’t pick Mocha up
Some cats just don't like being picked up. I don't know Ruby's history, but I don't think she was even semi-feral, just a stray, and the 5th year anniversary of her adoption is next month, and I still can't pick her up. She'll sleep forever on my lap. And loves head bumps, rubs, etc., but hates being restrained in any way at all.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Some cats just don't like being picked up. I don't know Ruby's history, but I don't think she was even semi-feral, just a stray, and the 5th year anniversary of her adoption is next month, and I still can't pick her up. She'll sleep forever on my lap. And loves head bumps, rubs, etc., but hates being restrained in any way at all.
My two 14-year-olds don’t enjoy being picked up, and they’ve been spoiled coddled princesses their entire lives! They tolerate it but stare off into space and wait me out. :lol:

I’ve been working with Mocha on being picked up, and I’ve reached the point where I can pick her up and put her on a chair or bed if I do it smoothly and don’t hesitate...if she’s not on a rug or carpet. Otherwise she sticks like a barnacle. But pick her up and hold her? Nope. I’ve also been working on touching her feet. It would be great if I could trim her claws, but I can’t see that ever happening. Still, the more I handle her, the better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This morning Chai saw Chilli getting morning cuddles in bed, and decided that looked pretty great and she wanted in too! So she hopped up right next to us and got lots and lots of pets again. Chilli was offended/jealous and left pretty shortly :lol: but it was still sweet to have the two cats purring on my bed for a few moments!

Chai loooooooves head scratches, and rubs her cheeks on my hand so hard she nearly falls over. I guess she has a lifetime of petting to make up for! She is acting like it! She definitely has to be in the mood, though, otherwise she just edges away when I try to touch her.

She also has started playing with the mousie toy by herself and last night kept it up for at least 20 minutes. She throws it REALLY high in the air with her mouth and hits it with her one paw like a baseball bat, then pounces after it again. It’s pretty adorable. I’m not biased at all. :D

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I just went back to your first post in September to look at Chai’s picture. I see such a difference in her body language compared to the photo you posted last night. I could see the tension in her body in September. Yesterday’s photo was of a happy girl who is beginning to realize she can trust. It makes your heart sing, doesn’t it. :catrub:

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just went back to your first post in September to look at Chai’s picture. I see such a difference in her body language compared to the photo you posted last night. I could see the tension in her body in September. Yesterday’s photo was of a happy girl who is beginning to realize she can trust. It makes your heart sing, doesn’t it. :catrub:
Aww, I know! She’s come such a long way. It really makes me so happy.

For an even bigger contrast, here’s the very first photo I ever saw of her (on Christmas Day, incidentally!), from when she first arrived at the shelter, as a scared skinny little wild thing:

1E798F7F-EC9C-4EF1-937E-46B531AEC0D0.jpeg

compared to this ridiculous goofy girl yesterday :)

C1DF0E4A-4B37-48DB-9262-7105EFAA1359.jpeg

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad we're going to the vet soon, but worried about the prognosis. She was playing with a wand toy and having SO much fun, jumping and chasing it, but her breathing started to get noisy so I stopped to give her a break. But she was still pawing and jumping at the toy excitedly and trying to throw it around herself... while breathing like that. :( She certainly doesn't seem to be in any extreme respiratory distress--she isn't panting or opening her mouth to breathe, her sides aren't heaving, and she doesn't want to stop playing--but it definitely sounds labored and not fun, or normal. It doesn't sound crunchy or snotty like a cold, it's just a faint whine/whistle. As I understand it, her gums/mouth would be swollen and thus are restricting her nasal passage and causing the sound. It can't feel very good, poor thing.

In other news, in my paranoia I've been trying to brush Chilli's teeth recently (which are also quite visibly bad, the back ones are covered in tartar) and today her gum started bleeding. Guess I have two giant cat teeth vet bills coming up in the near future...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's so wonderful to see Chai's progression from December to now. Just the past month, though, is amazing!

Hopefully her breathing condition improves once her mouth/gums are better. And that Chili's teeth just need a cleaning.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That little Chai looks so adorable and so happy! I hope her teeth situation and the breathing situation will turn out to be no big deal. Please let us know after you see the vet. And you are very brave to try to brush a cat's teeth! I'm impressed!

I feel heartened reading of others who have long-time cats that can't be picked up, like Rubysmama's Ruby and Tobermorey's Mocha. I have been wondering if being picked up is a requirement before they are let out of their safe room, but while it is ideal, perhaps it isn't a hard and fast rule!

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, just had our vet appointment and unfortunately the situation is about as I expected. Her mouth condition is about the same as before she started the meds. I also was able to confirm that she indeed has the beginnings of stomatitis rather than some generic gum disease (my vet’s English is good, but there are occasionally translation issues like this). So it’s not going to be reversible.

The options are to remove all teeth or to give her steroids for pain all her life. He said that in the end it is my choice, but if it were his cat he would remove her teeth. His clinic cat had the same issue and now lives pain-free with no teeth and doesn’t require regular meds. So I basically decided that we should go through with the surgery and remove all her teeth... I’m of course worried and stressed out of my mind regardless, but it just seems like the right choice to me.

So I am likely going to schedule the surgery for sometime in the next few weeks. It’s quite expensive—the vet quoted $1,200 for the whole thing—but I should be able to make it work. In the meantime she has more meds for pain, and she’s been vaccinated and had another basic checkover to make sure she’d be ready for surgery.

I love this little cat... I’m feeling upset but the vet said the prognosis was good if her teeth were removed.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feel heartened reading of others who have long-time cats that can't be picked up, like Rubysmama's Ruby and Tobermorey's Mocha. I have been wondering if being picked up is a requirement before they are let out of their safe room, but while it is ideal, perhaps it isn't a hard and fast rule!
The worst part of not being able to pick them up, is when you need to take them to vet. I'm lucky, though, in that Ruby won't run from me, just will wiggle, squirm and kick when I pick her up.

I love this little cat... I’m feeling upset but the vet said the prognosis was good if her teeth were removed.
Sorry it looks like the dental surgery is the best solution, since it is so expensive, however, as for living without teeth, cats do fine. Here's a short TCS article on the topic: Can Cats Manage Without Their Teeth?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So did the vet usually say what behavior changes will happen when a cat has all of it's teeth removed?

I assume she'll only be able to eat wet food?

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So did the vet usually say what behavior changes will happen when a cat has all of it's teeth removed?

I assume she'll only be able to eat wet food?
Actually, he said there shouldn’t be any noticeable changes at all. Apparently most toothless cats can still eat dry food, I’m guessing maybe smaller kibble sizes are easier. And I heard it’s sometimes it’s a bit harder for them to chew on their back claws. Other than that there don’t seem to be any long-term drastic changes from tooth extraction.

It’s just the surgery itself that’s stressful for me. I do trust my vet—actually, he has performed this same surgery successfully on several stomatitis cats from the shelter Chai came from. But it’s no minor surgery and the recovery can be very painful. :( He already said he’s going to keep her for a few days afterwards at the clinic so he can administer pain meds, fluids, feed her if she won’t eat, keep her warm and comfortable, etc. So that’s reassuring. And I’m sure I would be able to visit her too if I wanted. So... Assuming everything goes well, I think things will be a lot better after the surgery, which by the way is scheduled for the 26th.

Honestly, today has been a rough day. I know the prognosis is good and things will most likely be okay, but it’s still so hard for me. I am a pretty tough person, but seeing my pets in pain and not being able to help them is absolutely soul-crushing. (I remember last time Chilli was sick I lost 6 pounds in a week from stress and barely slept.) Every time I look at Chai it makes me emotional, to think of how much of her short life she’s spent in physical pain. Who knows how long she wandered around on the streets hungry and cold with her mutilated leg, and now who knows how many months the shelter failed to notice her stomatitis before I got her. No animal deserves to be in pain, but the more I get to know her and her sweet and funny personality comes out, the more it hurts to see her hurting.

I know I am trying to do what’s best for her, though. Hopefully in a few more weeks, after one last surgery, she will finally get to live her life healthy and pain-free for a good long while. She deserves it so much.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Actually, he said there shouldn’t be any noticeable changes at all. Apparently most toothless cats can still eat dry food, I’m guessing maybe smaller kibble sizes are easier. And I heard it’s sometimes it’s a bit harder for them to chew on their back claws. Other than that there don’t seem to be any long-term drastic changes from tooth extraction.

It’s just the surgery itself that’s stressful for me. I do trust my vet—actually, he has performed this same surgery successfully on several stomatitis cats from the shelter Chai came from. But it’s no minor surgery and the recovery can be very painful. :( He already said he’s going to keep her for a few days afterwards at the clinic so he can administer pain meds, fluids, feed her if she won’t eat, keep her warm and comfortable, etc. So that’s reassuring. And I’m sure I would be able to visit her too if I wanted. So... Assuming everything goes well, I think things will be a lot better after the surgery, which by the way is scheduled for the 26th.

Honestly, today has been a rough day. I know the prognosis is good and things will most likely be okay, but it’s still so hard for me. I am a pretty tough person, but seeing my pets in pain and not being able to help them is absolutely soul-crushing. (I remember last time Chilli was sick I lost 6 pounds in a week from stress and barely slept.) Every time I look at Chai it makes me emotional, to think of how much of her short life she’s spent in physical pain. Who knows how long she wandered around on the streets hungry and cold with her mutilated leg, and now who knows how many months the shelter failed to notice her stomatitis before I got her. No animal deserves to be in pain, but the more I get to know her and her sweet and funny personality comes out, the more it hurts to see her hurting.

I know I am trying to do what’s best for her, though. Hopefully in a few more weeks, after one last surgery, she will finally get to live her life healthy and pain-free for a good long while. She deserves it so much.
Sorry how old is Chai again?

Status
Not open for further replies.