Socializing A Feral

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anniemae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do the cats interact at all through the gate?
Not at all. Once Mama even hears another cat coming she runs to her "Safe Spot" and stays there.

I should mention the gate is at the bottom of the stairs . Mama stays upstairs the others mostly stay down stairs. Except for one who will jump the gate and come up. That will send her to "Her spot".

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
As mentioned earlier on, it takes time. For your information, some cats of our members took a year or so to be socialized. Every cat is different. Please do not give up but keep on trying and don’t rush. It’s always two steps forward and one step back while dealing with such cats.

‘Her spot’ is her safe spot. Just maintain your routine and give her your best. I know it’s enduring but I believe the reward is at the end no matter how long.

Anniemae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well it's been about 10 weeks now and things seem to be getting worse. She still will not let us hear her and spends more then 23 hours a day in her "Safe Spot".
Now for the biggest problem. She recently started to pee outside her litter box. This is something I just can't tolerate. Why? I don't know but since the rooms are carpeted it's a major problem that I can't let continue.
I'm going to have to release her back outside behfore she destroys the carpets.
It truly hurts me but IMO I've done all I know how to do and things have deteriorated.
She just may be happier outside.

Kulekhatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry Anniemae, I would try wet food also....my male who was eating dry food was found to have crystals and was urinating outside the box. My feral who has been in about 7 weeks has adjusted ok, I still have some resistance from my other cats. Growling, and a couple fights. It’s very annoying, but hopefully that will change. Maybe before you let her out, take her to vet and ask for advice. I know that’s difficult...good luck with whatever you choose to do.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The same thing happens to my cats if I don't keep their dry food under half a cup. Can you try increasing her canned food and decreasing the dry? Supermarket pate like Friskies or Fancy Feast is fine.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Well it's been about 10 weeks now and things seem to be getting worse. She still will not let us hear her and spends more then 23 hours a day in her "Safe Spot".
Now for the biggest problem. She recently started to pee outside her litter box. This is something I just can't tolerate. Why? I don't know but since the rooms are carpeted it's a major problem that I can't let continue.
I'm going to have to release her back outside behfore she destroys the carpets.
It truly hurts me but IMO I've done all I know how to do and things have deteriorated.
She just may be happier outside.
can you put cardboard down under the cat box and around it=with pee pads underneath? I did that for my older cat who pees outside of the box once in a blue moon-it helps cleanup and stops the pee from staining carpets-or a large scatter rug from goodwill etc-just temporarily. How often are you scooping? Maybe the cat wants two boxes-one to pee- one to poop. I have one cat who poops in one box then goes in the other room pees in other box..crazy cats!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've done a lot for her, so pat yourself on the back! Instead of trying to decide whether to have her live inside or outside all the time, perhaps you could let her decided to come in and out when she wishes? The feral I have coming in and out was evaluated by the shelter after 8 weeks in their custody as "too wild to be socialized". I slowly gained her trust outside and then started leaving the door open late-summer and into the fall to let her come and go when she wanted. I've decided to continue with that strategy with her to avoid behavior issues. I'm hoping she may eventually decide to live inside all the time, or at least most, but I'm just letting this little wild one live her life on her terms.

Anniemae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do feed her both dry and wet food. I’ll try taking away the bowl of dry food and just give her the wet for a while.

Also I am using those pee pads. She only pees right next to her litter box so at first I thought maybe she was just missing it but now I think there may be more to this.

I’m trying.

Anniemae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Advice needed.
It's been three months now since I started the "Socialization" of Mama.
Sadly It appears I've made no progress. She still spends just about all day and night in her "Safe Spot". Still won't let anyone approach her. I've noticed if I open the front door she will come half way down the stairs and seems to be looking out like that's where she wants to go.
I know it takes time for this process to occur but I don't see any progress.

So....Should I give her the opportunity to go back out where she may want to be?
I got her through the Winter which was a cold one here in the Northeast.
I feel if she wants to come back she will. But here's my concern. Did I keep her inside long enough that she may have lost her ability to be able to survive outside?
Did she lose her "Outside instinct"?

Just don't know what the proper thing to do is at this point.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any way to get her out of her safe room and make her a part of the family with the other cats?

Anniemae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there any way to get her out of her safe room and make her a part of the family with the other cats?
I've been trying but they just don't seem to want to get along. Which is part of my problem.
I've installed gates to see if they'll get to know each other but the gates are at the bottom of the stairs. Mama won't even come all the way down the stairs.

Also I said it's been three months but after posting it's almost four months since I took her in.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My view is going to differ from the others in that if she does not seem happy after at nearly 4 months, you may wish to consider releasing her. I don't mean "happy" as in kitty euphoria, so much as improving with acclimation. This does not seem to be the case.
As for whether or not they lose their instinct and hunting skills, I have wondered that, too. Experts say they do not - it is instinct - but I feel for you, as we feel like they have come to depend on us once we start feeding them. I do not know the answer to this.
What about a little "cat house" you can put outside so she can still be near the house? They make heated ones, too.
Whatever you decide, you have extended her life by all you have done for her.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did it a little bit different with my two ferals, I didn't wait for them to come to me. I interacted with them constantly, blocked off hiding spaces, petted them with a long handled duster, talked to them constantly, teaching them their names and many words so we could communicate, got them on a meal schedule that they could count on, they had to eat in the open, with us humans. They have lots of cat shelves and window seats to get up high and boost their confidence. I guess they just got used to me because I was always in their face. :D

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anniemae, did you decide what you want to do? There is no right or wrong here....whatever you feel in your heart is best. You have been so good to her....

Anniemae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm still holding out that there's still hope. I've become so attached to her and fear if I release her she'll have to face all the dangers living outside presents. I'm going to give it a little more time and see.