Socializing 3 Kittens - Need Advice!

Hamb0ne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

A few weeks back my boyfriend found a terrible thing in the backyard. A cat had been torn to shreds, presumably by a raccoon. Nearby in a window well in the yard he found 3 little kittens. We assumed this had been momma cat possibly trying to protect kittens from predator. He trapped the little guys took them in, contacted an animal rescue group who helped set us up with what we needed. They were taken to the vet, de-wormed, etc.

A week later he heard meowing outside the window that the kittens were responding to. The kittens are all black and white and the cat meowing outside was all black. The animal rescue people helped us trap this adult cat using the kittens as "bait" and found she was lactating. They said she was almost certainly the mother and it would be beneficial for kittens to have her around for a while. We brought her in and put her in the kitty condo cage with the kittens who nursed from her for two weeks. After about two weeks mom (feral) was fed up with being in the cage and the kittens seemed healthy, so we were advised to take mom to get spayed and return her to the yard.

The kittens are now about 8-9 weeks old and I am trying hard to socialize them. I no longer keep them in the kitty condo cage, they have been free to roam in my office for about 5 days now. The cage is still in the room with doors open. I visit them for roughly 2 hours a day, feeding them off my finger or putting a bowl of food in my lap and playing with toys. Occasionally I leave the radio on for them. I give them wet food and to really get their attention sometimes chicken baby food (just chicken, veggies, and rice).

They have been relatively responsive to the socializing with food and play and will climb on me to eat and play but still cower and run to hide when I enter the room. I can pick them up when they're tired and hold them for a bit but they get restless and want to leave my arms pretty quickly. They do not seem "comfortable" with me and certainly do not enjoy my presence.
They have yet to approach me to cuddle or feel comfortable with me approaching them (unless they're very sleepy).

I've read that the kittens are at the age where they are growing increasingly hard to socialize and I want to make sure I'm doing the all the right things.

Should I let them roam about the entire apartment? It is a big space (5 rooms and bathroom) with few doors between rooms (only bedroom, bathroom and office have doors and they're on opposite sides of apt) and lots of clutter so I worry I may not be able to find them or even be able to coax them out with food or toys if they have free roam? As it is, the office where they are staying has a tall bed with storage underneath (bins, a drum kit, boxes) where the kittens hide when I come in the room. Otherwise they seem to sleep in an enclosed sort of egg shaped bed I got them. Should I try to keep them in a less cluttered space like the bathroom so that they don't have the ability to hide from me? I chose the office initially because it was big enough to fit the kitty condo cage. The bathroom is small and cannot fit the condo or the scratching post they now love.
Should I isolate each cat for a few days and play with each individually?
Should I be putting them in a sling and taking them around the house with me? I tried this once with a makeshift scarf sling and they hated it and each eventually was able to wiggle his way out so I abandoned ship. If the sling is a good idea, though, I could go buy one or work harder to create an escape-proof one.

I'm torn as to whether or not it's best to have them feel comfortable roaming around the house and give them exposure to more movement or if it's best to try to be more intimate with them before I let them roam freely.

Would appreciate any advice!!

Thank you all!

Attachments

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all - THANK YOU. Many people would not have taken on this challenge. You've gone above and beyond for this family.

They may have learned to be wary from mom but you still have time to change their minds. Spending more time with them is a good start - sit in the room and read out loud to them. No outreach, no gestures, just reading quietly.

The sling (or burrito) idea is good, too. I would not let them out of the office yet. They need security until they really understand that there are no "monsters" here.

I would move them to the bathroom (where they can't hide) or try to secure under the bed so they can't go there.

Keep us posted.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I vote for keeping them in the more spacious office, as kittens this age need room to play and explore. I would try to spend more time with them if possible.

What are your plans for them? They are at the right age to be spayed or neutered and adopted. Will the rescue take care of this too?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hamb0ne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My plans are to keep two of three and a friend of mine would like to adopt the third. I wish I could keep all three but it's a lot for an apartment!
Two seem to be a little closer and one more independent, so he will probably be the one to go with my friend.

Once they're a little older we plan to spay/neuter--they're still too little, right?

Thanks for the help so far!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They can be spayed and neutered at 8 weeks or 2 pounds, so anytime now. I always recommend doing it at 12 weeks, well before hormones come in.

Will the rescue do low-cost procedures for you? Or will you need to go elsewhere?

Hamb0ne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if rescue will cover, but I imagine they will since they covered cost of spaying mom. If not, I have a friend who is a vet who I used to take my old kitties to who gives us a nice discount.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello Hamb0ne Hamb0ne , you are doing a great job here :clap: Bless your heart.

Best is to cat safe your apartment and let them have free roam of the place. Once you have all holes and hiding places plugged, let them explore and own the space at their own time. Have a safe room for them to retreat to if just in case they get startled by sudden loud noise.

Leave one or two towels or blankets for them to roll in and later use them to place around the apartment so that when they start to roam, they have their familiar scents around and that will give them more confidence to the surroundings.

Try to stay with them often and let them get use to you and let them associate you with food and also leave one or two of your unwashed shirts with them so that they can quickly get familiarize with your scents and they won't be weary of you.
Also when you enter the room, get down on your fours and appear as small as possible, so that you don't look like a threat to them.

Keep us posted on the progress and do post photos of them if you have the chance and feel free to ask questions :wink:

Hamb0ne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

Thank you for all of your help. The past week we have made huge progress!!

I have been sleeping in the room with the kittens and over the course of the night they come and go sleeping with me on my legs and pillow. In the morning we play before I'm out of bed.
In general the two boys are comfortable being picked up and hanging out with me in the sling for about 20 minutes, the girl is a little more antsy and can do more like 5-10. Each of them is still a little skittish when I enter the room after being gone all day but after sitting for a few minutes they come out and let me pet them and play.
Today I let them roam around the entire house for an hour or so and they had a blast. Lots of running and playing! The only issue I noticed with this is that once they have free reign in the house, they can and want to escape from me much more than when they are in the more confined office space.
I may continue to let them out for an hour in the evenings then put them back in the room for sleeping and daytime when I'm not home.

Here are some adorable pictures! Any and all tips still welcome!

The next hurdle I must cross is figuring out which kitten should go with my friend to the new home and which two will stay with me. Hardest decision in the world!

A few weeks ago it seemed that the mostly black one (boy, Narayana) and the girl (Lil Worm, black chin and black nose/white mustache) were closer and Guido (boy, most white on the face--tallest cat) was more of a loner. Now they've all grown close and if anything the two boys are maybe a little more playful with each other. There is no longer a clear loner and I just don't know what to do!!
I love them all!
Narayana is definitely the trouble maker. Smallest of the bunch but almost acts like a dog. Always the most curious, outgoing, always wanting to play and jump around and explore. Guido has really long legs and seems like he will be a big athletic friendly guy and loves to fall asleep in your lap. He is more timid when it comes to new toys and people but usually the second cat to explore. Lil Worm is the most reserved, naps the most and takes her time wanting to play with toys but always also participates and lets you roll around with her and never fails to jump in and play.
All three switch off sleeping on top of each other and chasing each other.

Typically is there a difference when it comes to a female or male adjusting to a new home?
Is there a difference having two male cats versus a male and a female?

I think Narayana will definitely stay with us because he's so outgoing but I'm not sure if there is a scientific combo that can help make the decision between Guido and Miss Worm easier!!

Thanks again!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, how sweet! Which two are sitting together on top of the cat tower?

In my experience, two males will be more compatible than a male and a female over the long term.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
That's great that you have allowed them to free roam the house. They are all just exited over the bigger space and temporarily escaping from you to have fun.

Decisions are always hard to make but it's good to go with those who had experiences just like Advisor Sathur2 mentioned.

Your kitties are beautiful :lovecat::lovecat4:

Hamb0ne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you they are so wonderful! Would love to see pictures of all of your cats, too!

On the post is Narayana (m) on the left and Miss Worm (f) on the right, then Guido on the bed.
First pic is Narayana, pic on the hide is Guido (m) on the left and Narayana (m) on the right, pic on the pink and purple pillow is Wormie!

:)