So, what is the best cat wet food?

sillywabbit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had seen several recommendations of Halo Spot's Stew so I was disappointed to find garlic powder in the ingredients.

I'm still learning & experimenting - recently lost an 18-year old with kidney failure so learned all about best nutrition for her, but am now focusing on our healthy 2-year-old.  So far Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient seems the best as far as grain-free, good protein, low carbs, and no carrageenen, bad preservatives, ground flaxseed or menodione.  (whew!)  Plus, of course, she will actually eat it!

Hound & Gatos sounds great on paper but I haven't tried any yet.

One thing I recently learned is that some premium brands have the same formula for their dog foods and there are usually larger cans available (so possibly a cheaper option).

Also Fancy Feast Classic flavors are gluten-free and low-carb, so as far as the cheap stuff goes they're not all bad though they don't have the best protein sources.
[quote

How can they put garlic powder in cat food?!?!

And can I ask, What about Sheba cat food? Is it any better than Fancy Feast? Thanks.

Last edited:

procat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I know, right?

I personally know nothing about Sheba.
Sheba's pates are actually pretty decent for those on a tighter budget. Like the Fancy Feast Classics, a straight protein is first on the list but they also have some by-products. Sheba's about a nickle more than Fancy Feast, but it seems like Sheba goes on sale more often.

As far as the other varieties go (Cuts & Gravy), I haven't seen carageenan on any of the cans, but they do have "starch" listed as one of the ingredients which could be wheat, corn, rice, potato, etc.

sillywabbit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the Sheba info. My cat seems to like it or at least the gravy part.

One more thing? I haven't read this entire thread thru, sorry. But can somebody explain to us newbies why carrageenan is bad for cats??

Last edited:

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

rooneyandmuldoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually, I believe that Soulistics is also human grade. But it is made by Weruva, so maybe it doesn't count. However, the Soulistics seems superior to me, and I believe it is a little cheaper. Only sold at Petco, in stores and online (if you can stand to deal with their website).

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carageenan is derived from red algae seaweed and therefore is an organic substance. When processed, it is used as a thickener in human foods such as ice cream, yogurt. In pet foods it is used as a binder, more so in the shredded and chunky foods than pates. There have been many studies done on the effects of carageenan. Many of these studies were done several years ago and involved lab animals and the substance used was poligeenan, which is carcinogenic. The carageenan that is used in human and pet foods is not carcinogenic and does not automatically cause cancer. Here is another article that explains the difference : http://chriskresser.com/harmful-or-harmless-carrageenan

It is advisable to avoid pet foods that contain this substance or any of the various gums such xanthum or guar gum, if your pet is prone to IBS or IBD.

Last edited:

numystic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Carageenan is derived from red algae seaweed and therefore is an organic substance. When processed, it is used as a thickener in human foods such as ice cream, yogurt. In pet foods it is used as a binder, more so in the shredded and chunky foods than pates. There have been many studies done on the effects of carageenan. Many of these studies were done several years ago and involved lab animals and the substance used was poligeenan, which is carcinogenic. The carageenan that is used in human and pet foods is not carcinogenic and does not automatically cause cancer. Here is another article that explains the difference : http://chriskresser.com/harmful-or-harmless-carrageenan

It is advisable to avoid pet foods that contain this substance or any of the various gums such xanthum or guar gum, if your pet is prone to IBS or IBD.
I appreciate that you're wanting to help others make more informed decisions but the page you're linking to has a rather speciously selective bias with regards to the peer reviewed material available on the subject, and a number of glaring misrepresentations. Poligeenan is degraded carageenan which has indeed been cited in studies, but there are many others that have linked UNdegraded carageenan (not only degraded carageenan / poligeenan) with the occurrence of intestinal ulcerations and neoplasms.  

Taken directly from the abstract in the first paragraph of this review available to everyone at the National Center for Biotechnology Information section of the National Institutes of Health website:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1242073/pdf/ehp0109-000983.pdf
 Review of these data demonstrated that exposure to undegraded as well as to degraded carrageenan was associated with the occurrence of intestinal ulcerations and neoplasms. This association may be attributed to contamination of undegraded carrageenan by components of low molecular weight, spontaneous metabolism of undegraded carrageenan by acid hydrolysis under conditions of normal digestion, or the interactions with intestinal bacteria. 

Last edited:

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think the article is biased at all, but does a good job in providing some balance around the subject of carageenan. The article features numerous links to the studies that have been conducted, including the one you have referenced. How does this translate to biased reporting? The author has taken information from the studies, and boiled it down into layman's terms so people can better understand the findings.

The link that you reference is to a 13 year old review done by Joanne Tobacman of the experimental findings that were conducted into the production of carageenan. Ms. Tobacman was not a part of the experiments. While she does claim that there are risks with degraded poligeenan as well as undegraded carageenan, she also goes on to say  "The association may be attributed to contamination of undegraded carrageenan by components of low molecular weight, spontaneous metabolism of undegraded carrageenan by acid hydrolysis under conditions of normal digestion, or the interactions with intestinal bacteria"

To me this is not conclusive proof but suggests that there are conditions that must be met in order for carageenan to become poligeenan, and be a risk for ulcerations and neoplasms. Plus, it takes a heck of a lot more carageenan to make it a harmful substance, than it took to cause hemorrhage and ulcerations in one study involving rhesus monkeys using degraded poligeenan. Carageenan in and of itself is not carcinogenic like poligeenan is, and does not automatically cause cancer. 

The author of the article that I posted, does sum up his reports at the end by saying, quote :

" However, I do still think caution is warranted. If I had to rank additives, I’d say carrageenan is a bit more concerning than the other two additives we’ve discussed so far because of its association with gut issues". "Remember, in cases involving modern ingredients, the burden of proof should be on manufacturers to prove that they’re safe, rather than on consumers to prove that they’re harmful. Because the evidence isn’t conclusive either way, I recommend avoiding carrageenan, especially if you have a history of digestive problems".

You say that there are other studies that link undegraded carageenan with the occurrence of intestinal ulcerations and neoplasms. If so, why don't you take a little time and post a few so everyone can have the benefit of this information?

Last edited:

norma neary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine love natural balance and Blue Wilderness.  They wouldn't touch wellness.

rooneyandmuldoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I've done a lot of research. A LOT. And I came to an unfortunate conclusion: the best cat food is whatever they will eat. Unfortunately, with an ill 18-year-old 
  we've devolved to Fancy Feast. (I'm not proud.) Fancy Feast with gravy- NOT PATE ! - gravy. No beef. No turkey. No vegetables, thank you very much. A little chicken is okay - with gravy, mind you ! - and most of the fish kinds. With gravy!

Last edited:

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I've done a lot of research. A LOT. And I came to an unfortunate conclusion: the best cat food is whatever they will eat. Unfortunately, with an ill 18-year-old  :(   we've devolved to Fancy Feast. (I'm not proud.) Fancy Feast with gravy- NOT PATE ! - gravy. No beef. No turkey. No vegetables, thank you very much. A little chicken is okay - with gravy, mind you ! - and most of the fish kinds. With gravy!
Remember any wet is better than dry and whatever they like at that age!

ladymochi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I like food that are low carbohydrate, no carrageenan, guar gum and xanthan gum and grain and fish free:

- Lotus Just Juicy and Pate

- Ziwipeak

- Nature's Logic

However, to give my cat a variety diet, I also allow a bit of xanthan gum sneaked into her diet (still low carb, no carrageenan, grain and guar gum)

- Weruva

- Holistic Select

kittyfamily2016

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you had to choose out of these cat foods what would be recommended this is for wet food 

whiskas

friskies

fancy feast

special kitty (walmart brand in canada)

iams

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find just three Friskies pate recipes suitable because they lack corn, wheat and soy content:  Turkey & Giblets Dinner, Poultry Platter Pate, Cat Concoctions Salmon & Liver.  The Fancy Feast Classic pates are even better (just a bit).

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I think all Friskies Pates are corn wheat and soy free, same with FF and Sheba Pates. Friskies pates have rice. I feed my ferals outside Friskies pates and high grade kibble.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Tuffy thrives on Fancy Feast Classic. He gets chicken, beef, and turkey with giblets. I add half a can of water to each feeding to make sure he is well hydrated. He NEVER drinks additional water. Is this OK