So many questions - but how can I entertain a feral kitten?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They will usually give you pre-filled syringes with buprenorphine or meloxicam in them. You squirt it in her mouth twice a day for 3 days. It gets her through the acute pain phase more comfortably.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've asked about Onsior at the recommendation of a vet tech pal. They provided a light sedative to give her for the trip in, but she wouldn't take it. However she was pretty calm. I suspect that when she lived outside she would survive by being still and quiet when scared and that's what she did.

I'm pretty sure we'll get pain meds for her - but I am really more concerned with her biting and licking the incision. We have a onesie for her but I can't imagine how we will get it on her - and keep it on her. The kittens recovered quickly and easily but they're, ya know, kittens - and Pumpkin still has a lot of wild in her. Although she allowed me to pick her up to put her in the carrier. I hate that I had to betray her trust to take her to the vet. Ugh. Our bond has been strengthening a lot over the past few months.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A traditional cone is not ideal but it works. Just have your vet show you how to attach it in an escape proof manner. Like I said you can order a soft fabric cone which are more comfortable then the plastic cone.

I hate showing pictures of Nick in such a sad state but it really shows how the vet tied his cone to his collar and over & under his chest to keep his cone on. (He kept escaping his cone, at the vet’s!) Here is picture of him all healed up & his (remaining) tail is fine, so you can see a happy picture of him.
D4C61EF7-9E6C-4DB8-A7D3-45ED742A824E.jpeg

D5D77D06-7195-4D34-AF12-9AA357E18B37.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Onsior is not a sedative. It’s an anti-inflammatory. She clearly did not need a sedative to go.

You did not betray her trust. She knows you well enough now that she trusts that what you do is best for her.

I’ve never made my cats wear cones. It’s normal for them to lick the incision site. It should not be an issue unless it becomes red, swollen, and pus comes out. That would indicate infection.

She will have been given an antibiotic shot, and if she has internal stitches that dissolve, there is little to worry over.

She should do well and be just fine!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True Cami picked out 3 (out of 5) of her external stitches (the inflatable cone was to big for her neck to work) and the vet said it was ok but we had to watch her incision site carefully (& she had to wear the lamp shade.) Plus it took her longer to heal. 🤦🏻‍♀️

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of your advice! It has been a stressful debacle, but Pumpkin is doing better today. We do not have a cone or onesie on her - she has not tried to lick the incision yet, but she has only been active a short time.

The vet did not perform the surgery until 3pm, despite telling me to check her in at 8am. I hate that she sat 6 hours in that noisy smelly place before being sedated. So when we picked her up just before the vet closed at 6pm, she was really still out of it. After trying to function normally while all doped up, she retired to a box I made for her to recover in. The kittens were freaked out because they have never seen mama in this condition. Peanut Butter Cup hissed at her and attempted to attack her (we stopped her). We expected this but hoped it wouldn't happen, so we confined Cup to the guest room with her condo, water, and litter box.

The next morning (yesterday) Pumpkin was in a great deal of pain. The vet did give us some Onsior but she wasn't eating so we couldn't give it to her. She is still too wild for us to open her mouth without her doing some damage - even in her weakened state. I offered her EVERYTHING to eat. Her favorite wet food, cooked shrimp, treats, she was in too much pain to eat. We were concerned and called the vet before they closed - and they told us that recovery is harder for a pregnant cat. WHAT?!?!

They insisted that she was two weeks pregnant. There is ZERO chance that Pumpkin got outside to mate or that a male got into the house. Zero chance. So the only way for her to have been impregnated is if that same vet had botched Midnight's neuter. We were angry and upset at the thought of the vet terminating a pregnancy without informing us. I submitted to Dr Wifey that the vet just made a clerical error. They have a track record of being mistake-prone. Anyway it led to a miserable day for us - and for Pumpkin.

I went to the pet store and bought just about every treat I could find and eventually I found a treat that she would eat: one of those squeeze-up tuna treats. I pulverized an Onsior pill and mixed it in with one and she gobbled it up last night. About an hour later, Pumpkin ate a bowl of kibble! I wept I was so happy. It had been nearly 48 hours since her last meal.

This morning she ate her wet food and has been drinking fresh water and accepting treats. Her pain is returning so we will give her another pill mid-afternoon. She is small so we don't want to over-medicate her. But the good news is that she is eating and drinking.

However my mother is arriving tomorrow to visit for a week, which will throw them all into turmoil again. We have not had a guest since Pumpkin & Midnight moved in. Mom is excited to meet them - especially Cup - so I hope they don't hide the entire week.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi y'all! It's been a minute so I wanted to give an update! I should probably start a new thread but whatever.

The kittens are nearing their first birthday (April 6th). Tanguy spends the day trying to assert his dominance. He must play with every toy first and will take over when we play with another cat. He isn't aggressive, he just wants to be first at everything, which is interesting because he has been first to do everything - litter box, eat solid food, etc. He is very vocal, like his daddy Midnight.

Peanut Butter Cup has starting being vocal but not as much. Her personality has really matured lately and she has chosen me as her Person. She loves both her daddies. She wants to eat alongside the adults and not her two brothers.

Ginger Boy has also matured. We initially thought that he didn't like us, but now he seeks us out for pets. He has remained loving, silly, and playful. If he sat in our laps he would be the perfect cat. I adore him and I take far more pictures of him than any of the others.

Midnight rules the house. He has really taken to Dr. Wifey. He loves indoor life - but we have learned that our assessment of him when he lived outdoors with Pumpkin was wrong. We thought he was a scrappy Tom - but we have discovered that he was bullied a lot by neighbor cats. He sought shelter under the porch of a neighbor's house and their cats fought him all the time. He didn't want to fight - he was forced to. He is such a sweet and smart boy.

Pumpkin was doing well post-spay, but now has gained a lot of weight and has trouble breathing...in that we can often hear her breathing. She has been to the vet and given asthma medication and a diet plan. She does NOT like the diet plan. She lost interest in most things except food after her spay and now she mopes around. She appears sad and this worries me. I want her life to be happy and safe. Maybe I'm projecting, but I worry about her physical and mental health. It doesn't help that I am out of state working for the week and this is the first time they have all been left alone in the house all day without one of us there.

Pics: Pumpkin, Cup, Tanguy, Midnight, Ginger Boy

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Which antibiotic? Clavamox works well on gram positive and negative infections if she has a respiratory infection. She may need a steroid injection. If a steroid helps it will tell you a lot.

I have overweight cats without breathing issues so it seems her issues are not related to her weight.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was prednisolone. The vet thinks (for now) that it is asthma. We got x-rays and there is some stuff in her lungs. But if this doesn't work we will have the x-rays sent to a radiologist and get some blood work done. Ugh. Poor girl. I just want to give her the best life she can have.

Pumpkin, September 2021
hey pumpkin.JPG

Pumpkin now
IMG_5313.JPG

IMG_5184.JPG

Pumpkin with her Ginger Boy

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Prednisolone is NOT an antibiotic. It is a corticosteroid. This should help, but if she needs an antibiotic to clear an infection in her lungs, then she has not had that yet. If the “stuff” in her lungs is infection then she needs an antibiotic. Frequently, antibiotics are given simultaneously with steroids. One fights infection and the other opens the airways. Sounds like she still needs antibiotics.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet didn't think it was an infection. I can't remember what she called it but if it was an infection, I trust that she would have treated it properly. This vet has cats herself and we trust her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, it’s best to know and to get clear answers and specifics from the vet. Famous last words are, “we trust the vet.” I’ve had to change vets many times over the years for different issues and opinions on various of my cats. Thankfully so.

“Stuff” in lungs is always cause for concern. It’s usually infection, fluid, or cancer. But “stuff” is not stuff - it’s something. Your cat is young so I’m hoping it can be cleared, but if the vet doesn’t know and hasn’t tried antibiotics, then that’s an avenue to be explored. If it’s cancer, or from heart issues, that’s way more serious. That would require further diagnostics. I hope, since Pumpkin is young, it can be resolved.

Is your Dr. Wifey a medical doctor or an academic?

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I shouldn't have started this thread. I called it "stuff" - the vet didn't. The vet told us what it is but I'm working an intense job across the country and I'm not thinking clearly about it.

I appreciate your concern about my sweet girl's health. Right now I am more concerned about her mental health.

Dr. Wifey is an academic. Archaeologist and Art Historian specializing in ancient Rome & Greece.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You are right to keep all posts about your cats in one thread. We require that:

Important - Kitten season is upon us

When you can share more about Pumpkin’s issues, please do. We are here for you!

All your cats are beautiful and well-loved; that is clear. I know you will do everything in your power for Pumpkin to ensure her happiness and health. Update when you can.

Last edited:

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I will! I miss them all. They are really a lovely family. Each kitten spends time with each sibling and parent every day! They all have their things they do together. Pumpkin & Midnight were terrific parents - and Pumpkin warmed to us once she saw that we were caring for and protecting her kittens as we did for her. She won't cuddle with me, but she will come up and boop my nose with her nose and squeak. The squeak means "feed me." :D

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm seeking more advice. My wife is going to work in another country for two months this summer and I am wondering if there is anything I can do to soften the blow for the five cats. .Last year my wife had to leave town for two weeks and there was pandemonium here. We still had all five of the kittens (they were 3 months old) and both parents - and they ALL got sick. Vomit and poop everywhere. I took Pumpkin and Midnight to the vet, as they were the worst, and the vet couldn't find anything wrong - she said it was likely stress.

So it's a year later and they have all really bonded with her. The longest Dr Wifey has been away from them is the 8 hours she's at work. It's going to be a blow for them. We plan to collect some of her worn clothes - but it won't be a lot because she'll have to take quite a bit with her.

What are your thoughts?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let’s hope that now they are older and things will go more smoothly!