Snubbing his raw beef and vomiting D:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since last post, vomited once, but it was in the middle of the night and although he sounded like someone strangling a dying hamster, it was not a huge puddle like it was last week - just a small, dry-ish patch.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that's great your vet feeds raw! :clap:

Hope all the blood work comes back fine. I do hope his tummy settles down soon.

The vomit in the middle of the night - was it just bile (this time)?

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that's great your vet feeds raw!

Hope all the blood work comes back fine. I do hope his tummy settles down soon.

The vomit in the middle of the night - was it just bile (this time)?
Little bile and a small hairball. >.<

The carpet cleaners were here today. So nice to be able to lie on the carpet and not worry about lying on vomit. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A couple of things come to mind:

Are you feeding egg yolks? One or two a week can help stop hairballs. This discussion is about egg yolk lecithin, which many of us use as a supplement, but if your cat likes egg yolks, these can work instead of using the supplement as well: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/250653/egg-lecithin-for-hairballs

While it might have been just the hairball, my cats had the hardest time between the last meal of the day and the next meal in the morning. On raw, their systems become more acidic, so during the transition, it can be more difficult to go from last meal to first meal than when they were eating canned.

You can try feeding the meal later, or feeding some freeze dried meat treats before bed, and then a bite or two (small) of freeze dried meat treat before the breakfast meal. I do this regularly now (the little bite before breakfast), because even almost 2 years into this, my older kitties would often vomit breakfast due to the bile build-up. The few small bites of freeze dried chicken help absorb the acid, so the breakfast stays down.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll try the egg yolk (half a capsule twice a week?) and freeze dried treats. Which reminds me, he hasn't eaten since breakfast (almost 12 hours ago) - probably still stressed about the vet visit. Is it safe to just feed him his usual meal? He's hiding under my bed.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The egg yolk lecithin comes in capsules. You can use just egg yolk though. Both are healthy for him. The egg yolk lecithin provides ... mostly lecithin, though it has a small amount of choline. The lecithin emulsifies the fat that binds the hair, making it easier to pass. The egg yolks have lecithin in them - they also have a lot of other nutrients, healthy omega 3s, vitamin D, and LOTS of choline, a component of which is acetylcholine, which improves GI motility. So there are benefits to the egg yolks over just the lecithin (I feed mine both, but my older kitties have compromised GI systems from having eating kibble for many years. :( ).

Yes, I'd feed him his usual meal. :rub:

Do you normally feed 2 meals a day, or 3? The meals don't need to be evenly spaced. Many of us feed before work, after work, then before bed. It's something to consider if you're not on that schedule - it might help with the vomiting too.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed 3 to 4 times a day - 4 times if I don't have to go to work or school that day. Can I just use eggs from the grocery then? Do I crack open the egg just like that?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep. I separate the yolk from the white, and I toss the white. Other people find ways to use it. Most of my cats don't like yolk. I can get most of them to eat about 1/4 of a yolk at a time, if mixed with water and sprinkled with a topper. But I feed four meals of ground food a week so I can "hide" 1/4 of a yolk in each serving, guaranteeing they get 1 whole yolk a week.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another sad update. Turns out he doesn't even want to eat his duck or chicken. Turkey is the only protein he eats.

He went from eating anything I put down to being a one flavor picky cat. Getting tired of throwing out all those chubs and pounds of unused meat. Doesn't even eat the gizzards anymore.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Mine won't eat gizzards just by themselves, but if I mix them into the chicken thighs recipe they'll eat them.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
*sigh* Apparently even the turkey isn't to his liking anymore. Yet he still eats treats that I give him.

Time for another vet visit? Tonight 11pm would be 24 hours since his last meal. I'm leaving another chub of turkey out to thaw just in case.

Or maybe the canned food again. Is vomiting better than not eating?

Last edited:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh god, thanks so much for that. I guess I need to start treating him like a picky cat. I put bonito flakes on his turkey and he finished his bowl. Going to try it on the duck and chicken, although bonito flakes are really expensive. >.<

Also apparently he wants me to feed him by the spoon now. 

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used parmesan cheese when I first switched mine from Better In The Raw to Dr. P's recipe. They didn't find Dr. P's supplement mix to be as tasty. I'm a nursing student on limited funds so I understand the pain of throwing perfectly fine food out...eat your food you bunch of sillies! :lol3:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used parmesan cheese when I first switched mine from Better In The Raw to Dr. P's recipe. They didn't find Dr. P's supplement mix to be as tasty. I'm a nursing student on limited funds so I understand the pain of throwing perfectly fine food out...eat your food you bunch of sillies!
It's just disconcerting to see him go from "eat everything" to being picky. :( He still isn't as keen with the turkey though... I had to keep mixing in bonito flakes. I'll try parmesan cheese.

EDIT: Going through other threads it seems like a common occurrence, cats suddenly deciding out of the blue to go on strike. I've been feeding the same stuff to him for over a month. I'm going to try to mix up the ducks with other things instead of throwing it away.

Blasted cats.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww.... :( :hugs:

A couple of thoughts.

When Spooky became constipated a few months into raw, she went on a raw strike. I just started over. I fed her canned, and went from there. She was my "eat everything" kitty, and now she won't eat organs or even the meat unless it's cut into really small pieces (she likes ground raw - the others don't :rolleyes: ). I've had to "start over" with her several times, though, knock wood, she's been eating just raw successfully for ... months now. I decided to stop stressing over her diet I think the second time she went on a raw strike.

I figured out early into the raw transition that my cats got bored of the same food REALLY easily. I ended up creating a weekly menu that rotates proteins so they don't eat the same thing at any meal until the 2nd or 3rd day, and beef, venison, and pork they only get once a week, so those keep things "interesting."

And almost 2 years into it, I still find myself using toppers for several of them at least several times a week.

I don't know what makes an "eat everything kitty" become a picky kitty. For Spooky, it started because she didn't feel well.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to think of a way to thaw and mix more than one protein at a time... *stares at all his 5 lb chubs* and then find enough freezer space to keep 10 ziploc bags. I'm afraid to feed him canned because of his vomit tendency (just got the whole house carpet professionally cleaned). 

EDIT: No joy. Sniffed and walked away from his bonito flakes with duck.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Order 2 pound chubs? :dk:

Yeah, I didn't have that problem with commercial foods. :(

Toppers I keep on hand:

Freeze dried chicken liver
Freeze dried beef liver
Freeze dried chicken breast
Fortiflora
Turns out the Lysine treats I have work well (for several of my kitties) as a topper
Freeze dried pancreas (the glandular supplement from Nutricology)
Bonito flakes
Freeze dried salmon

Of course, I have 8 cats, so I go through things more quickly. If I just had one or two cats, I'm not sure what I'd do. Buy smaller packages?

Oh - does he like tuna water? Dr. P has instructions for making tuna water. I think it's along the lines of letting a can of tuna sit in (how much water?) for (how much time?) (it's in her transition guide: http://www.catinfo.org/docs/TipsForTransitioning1-14-11.pdf ). You can freeze it in ice cube trays? Or it would probably stay OK in the fridge for a few days?

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are SOOOOOOO finicky! It's enough to drive us all mad! 

I don't think you ever reported back how his labs came out from the vet. Does everything look okay?