Sniper, the first one who changed my life.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i always have been fond of animals since childhood. i never owned a pet before Sniper due my parents disliking animals and as adult i don't have the courage to jump in until recently. came in this family of cat, mother and son, lives near my work that i grown attached to. i still don't keep them at home, but i sometimes share my meat scraps from lunch to them. they relatively thrived due to generous food seller giving leftovers and people like me who just toss scraps out for strays.

come july 8th 2020, i went to the usual place found the little kitten wounded on the rear foot, might be accidentally stepped on or ran over. this is the moment where i just snapped and acted. i got a box, stab holes on the box and put him there. he was about 8 weeks at the time. took him to the vet and got some prescription. he was wounded, underweight (only 350 grams when i found him) and i took him home. the first night was rough for him, i didn't know what to do i just put him in a crate with food and water overnight and i still feel guilty for doing that to this day. the next day i did some research and put him in a cleaned up bathroom as safe room. on day 3 i noticed his voice was raspy as weak, i took him to the vet again. he got a canker sore on his tounge, which the vet said can be variety of things, including possible calici virus. they can't do bloodwork due to his tiny size and afraid will give him anemia. after that he got more medicines.

i spent 2 to 3 hours nursing him, cleaning the wound twice a day, orally administering antibiotics, immune booster, additional supplement. the reward was great. he began to trust me and he saw me as caretaker. his hobby was burying his face between my armpits and slept there. we took naps everyday where i just lay on the sofa and he slept on my chest or my armpits. i got himself an enclosure made of cardboard around 2x1 meters in the living room and after a few days he got better and started climbing stuff. after that i got rid of the barrier and let him roam, he found himself liking the sofa and slept there when i wasn't around.

after a week things suddenly turn for the worse. he started throwing up after meals. at first vet thought it was just him eating too fast and he really ate fast. i break down his meal into tiny pieces, but it still happened. he couldn't keep food down. after 2 days i took him to the ER and had him hospitalized, vet monitored his condition, he got anti nausea medicines, IV drips, etc yet his condition didn't get better. vet said to refer him to a bigger clinic with better equipment and i did it. we got him x-ray and turn out his food wouldn't go past his esophagus. it's either some foreign object blockage or he was born with unusually large esophagus that didn't allow food to come trough (even that he could eat the first few days at home, so i don't know). basically his condition just worsen. his weight went back to 362 grams after gaining weight to 430 grams the week prior. he has hypothermia (body temp was 36.8 even tho he spent 2 days in heated incubator in ER). the vet said even if he survived that moment, he wouldn't have a long life expectations and it most likely would be filled with a lot of pain. i decided euthanasia right there. he died on my arms. they gave us a private room and time to be together and this is his last moment i recorded:

after that we took him to the exam room, put him on the table and i held him. i cried again when he stood, used the last bit of his energy to crawl up my shoulder. he fell asleep, then vet administered the sedatives, then the euthanasia. i had him cremated and his ashes rest in my room now. Sniper made sure at least a single animal have a home in my house at any point in my life.

Sniper Gallery:
20200708_175052.jpg

IMG_20200709_134944.jpg
IMG_20200714_215348.jpg
IMG_20200717_132638.jpg
IMG_20200717_201928.jpg

i don't particularly prefer cats or dogs, i just like most animals, but Sniper's mom was the first choice in my mind then.. after few days grieving, i tracked down the mom, and adopted her. She is Rivel, my current profile pic and my current cat which thankfully has a clean bill of health and doing pretty well in my house.

RIP sniper adopted 8th of july 2020 - passed on 21st of july. we never truly know what happened, and i still partly blame myself. i still miss him so much. he changed my life for sure.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart cries for your pain, I hope you can take comfort in knowing you gave him his everything in the last weeks of his short little life. He would have most likely died alone and scared, you made sure that didn't happen. You will be blessed for the love you gave to that sweet angel. It sounds like something genetic, you did nothing wrong but try to help. Though grief always brings guilt in one form or another.
The love you gave him will be with you both for eternity. He lives on through you now, so send him love and happiness, not tears and sadness. He will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers. Distract yourself from your sadness by caring for his beloved mother, she needs you too.
I know how much this hurts. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself.....RIP beautiful Sniper. You will always be missed, you will have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you. until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thank you so much. it's been a month and i feel a bit better, and rivel is a great companion. i still miss him tho. you never fill the hole they left. new companions add a new part in your heart but never replace them.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Poor baby. He sure got a lot of love and care during his short time with you. He knew he was loved.

I’m so sorry for your loss, it’s never easy, whether they’ve been with you a long time or a few short weeks. Rest in peace, little Sniper. :rbheart:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for taking such good care of him albeit for a short time, he knew what love meant. God must've needed a little cat to be an Angel for someone in Heaven, maybe a small child who passed over and needed a pet. You will see him again one day and he will thank you for taking care of him on Earth. He is fine now, just fine, no more pain or health issues, just fine......

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless you......:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, little Sniper, dream you deep. Your tiny life had more meaning than you can know, and you now walk in so many hearts forever. Mine is one of them.

What a wonderful thing you did! You did not fail Sniper, not at all. What Sniper knew of home, and love and joy, he learned from you. And his love for you, now translated and purified into Love, remains with you. Because Love abides. Always forever, Love abides.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So sad. Always devastating to lose any of our cats but it's utterly heart breaking when they are tiny babies who never had the chance to live. I am sitting on the sofa crying 😢😢

As others have said you did all you could and he was safe and loved, and passed knowing the comfort of your arms.

RIP tiny angel ❤❤