Sneaky Cat

• Thread starter Deleted member 10013100
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 10013100

Hi all,

My cat keeps sneaking into the laundry room when the doors are open and when I’m doing laundry. She sneaks behind the laundry machines and could possibly get hurt.

I cannot keep the doors closed 24/7 because I have to do laundry, so how can I prevent her from going behind there? Is there something I can spray to make her stay away?

Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What about a hook (latch hook) that you could easily flip or something like that? You obviously don't want something that's a hassle when your arms and hands are full, and this type of thing means you'd still have to at least partially close the doors behind you going either way. Maybe someone else has other, better ideas. I'm just not sure the spraying thought will accomplish the goal.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If you cannot keep her out, can you block the back of the machines or rig a foldable baby gate around the washer to keep her out? There is also the possibility that she has found something living back there, like a mouse or a bug that she is trying to catch.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I keep my cat out of the laundry room fairly easily--closed door. When I go inside to do laundry, I'm careful that she's not around, and I close the door behind me. I haven't had any problems.

Nouveau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nouveau has gotten behind my machines in my tiny wash room and it makes me super nervous that he’ll get tangled or hurt. He even climbed the aluminum exhaust vent on the dryer and caused it to come off. Even though it’s only $25 to replace, I didnt want it to become a habit. Anywho, I discovered what he likes and have encouraged the behavior to keep him out of the laundry room: he likes to reach through the crack of the door and try to get my fingers or toes. When I leave the door open, it creates a small, fun space between the wall and door so he likes to sneak back there when I open the door. So while I’m doing laundry, I encourage him to stay there by playing with him a little here and there, praising him, while I do my thing. It’s literally become a favorite of his. I have no problems now when I open the laundry room door. He goes straight for the door frame crack to play!

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nouveau has gotten behind my machines in my tiny wash room and it makes me super nervous that he’ll get tangled or hurt. He even climbed the aluminum exhaust vent on the dryer and caused it to come off. Even though it’s only $25 to replace, I didnt want it to become a habit. Anywho, I discovered what he likes and have encouraged the behavior to keep him out of the laundry room: he likes to reach through the crack of the door and try to get my fingers or toes. When I leave the door open, it creates a small, fun space between the wall and door so he likes to sneak back there when I open the door. So while I’m doing laundry, I encourage him to stay there by playing with him a little here and there, praising him, while I do my thing. It’s literally become a favorite of his. I have no problems now when I open the laundry room door. He goes straight for the door frame crack to play!
My cats love doing the same. They'll bat at each through the door crack. Though I always worry that one day they'll bump the door and pinch their paws!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still want my cats out of the garage in general. To many chemicals. Add in my aunt who accidentally killed her cat by starting the dryer with the cat in it (who sadly/ironically named Charmin.) To say I'm extra careful my cats never find out how warm dryers are is an understatement.